Chenille, Crabby, evanflein, others beware (Read 798 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Just saw a story on CNN about runners being menaced by wolves in Alaska. Be careful out there! Surprised evanflein too!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

Given their remote location I can't believe they were out there with just a can of pepperspray. A compact handgun would have gone a long way towards teaching those wolves some fear of humans.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Crabby, thanks for posting the photos! DH lived near Copper Center for four years ('78-'82) on a Christian commune that had no electricity or running water. They took turns on night watch, and he said that wolves would follow them a lot - he'd see their tracks the next morning. He loved Alaska and hoped we would end up there one day, but it didn't work out. I've got to get there for a visit! Teresa
          Sherry your photos are really beautiful!

Dog-Love

Thanks Mandy...I bet Alaska and NZ have a lot in common! My sister moved to Nelson when I was trying hard to convince her to move up here. So far away! Both beautiful spots though!
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Another Passion

Amazing pics, Sherrie! Thanks for sharing. My folks took an RV trip to Alaska the summer of 2001 when my dad retired. One of the best trips of their lives. He caught a 184 pound Halibut out of Homer and was thrilled! There were totally taken by the breathtaking beauty there. They have a HUGE photo album of the trip and my dad kept a journal while they were there. Very cool.

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Dog-Love

Rick...come on up and follow in your parents footsteps. I know a couple of great halibut spots.
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  Amazing pictures Sherry!

Michelle

Thanks for thinking of us , Russ - just saw this. I don't have a dog, go out alone and usually don't carry more than my cell phone - gonna be rethinking that one... Sherry - I have never been to Juneau - but after seeing these as well as your trail pictures, I am hoping to make it up there next summer. Thanks for sharing the great pics. You're brave - I'm skeered of bears Blush

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Bodacious

Given their remote location I can't believe they were out there with just a can of pepperspray. A compact handgun would have gone a long way towards teaching those wolves some fear of humans.
                      If we are talking of the news clip of the three women running with their dogs then that location is not that remote, the road leading to the attack area is behind my house, probably about a mile from the center of town. On the scale of remoteness in Alaska, that area doesn't even come close Smile