Day before a race (Read 460 times)

I know there are lots of pre race routine threads but I can't seem to find one that deals with this specifically. While I have finished a couple of race last year I'm still pretty green. I will run tonight and Thursday. What I am wondering is if I should maybe do a real easy 2 or 3 miles on Saturday before my 10K on Sunday?

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

db7

It works better for me to do it that way. Try it and see. I feel sluggish on race day if I dont get out for a easy run the day before. Everybody is different but give it a shot and see how it works for you. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

jeffdonahue

I used to not run the day before a race, but now I just go out and do an easy mile or two. Keeps the legs loose and mentally reminds you that you can run so it tends to calm my nerves a bit the day before a race.
          Looking at your mileage totals I would say you can run an easy mile or two the day before your race. If your 5k pace is around 10:00 per mile...go for a nice 15 minute jog at 12:00 per mile pace about 16-24 hours before your race. I run the day before a 5k race...about 4 easy miles but I run 40 miles a week. I have tried it both ways...When I don't run the day before a race it makes the race harder for me. I will take the 2nd or 3rd day off before a race if necessary.
            Thanks guys. My 5K time is really slow. My usually 5 mile runs are at about 8:40 pace so I will be trying for a little better than that this time around. I will try an easy 2 miles and see how it goes.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K