Running in pain? (Read 174 times)

Bluejayfeather

I am a newbie with hip bursitis.  I'm curious about other people's reactions to pain.  Do you run with pain?  At the other extreme do you stop running at any sign of pain?  Is there a level of pain that you will run with - say, up to 4 on a scale of 10 - and after that you stop?  I'm curious.

A related question.  I've started doing hip and core strengthening exercises.   Sometimes they cause pain.  But it's a different pain.  More like the soreness of a worked out muscle.  It there a difference between post workout soreness or stiffness, versus actual injury pain?  Is there more than one type of pain?

Also.  Sometimes, like today I ran with no pain.  I was excited and pleased.  But as I've gone about my day I notice achiness and sore pain.  Should I have been feeling this pain during my run?  Does anyone else only feel the pain afterwards?

Hard to put a scale on such things, because one person's discomfort is another person's agony.

If it affects my gait, such as causing limping or excessive upper body movement, I will take a day or two off as needed. Yes, pain afterwards but not during is "a thing". Soft tissue issues may feel better when they are warmed up and moving. Use an ice pack right after running on the spots that are getting sore later.

Many experienced runners will experiment with changing their gait; range of motion, stride length, arm carry, etc. to see what hurts less while running. Sometimes just slowing down for a few days helps. As an old guy, I've found that "max cushion" shoes alleviate a lot of the discomfort issues. BUT don't rely on them for every run, because they might cause other issues to emerge.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

GinnyinPA

I have on and off hamstring pain. I've had it for years. Sometimes I feel it when I run, especially if I'm running a lot of hills or doing speed. Sometimes I only feel it afterwards, either immediately after or when I go to bed. I've tried resting, taking breaks for weeks at a time, and it feels fine when I'm not running, but as soon as I start up again, when I run hard and hilly, it will come back. It is never bad enough to affect my gait or the way I move my body. Only once has it stopped me during a run (at 18 miles).  When I do hip and glute exercises and stretches, sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse.

I've had injuries that did stop me - once a pelvic stress fracture and once osteitis. In both cases, the pain was so bad I couldn't run. When I had the sfx, there was no question of running with the level of pain I was feeling. I could barely walk. With the osteitis, I could run without pain, but afterwards I would hurt for a few days. The pain level was about a 7, so I took a break. My chronic hamstring pain is more like a 2-5. Somedays just an ache, somedays a real pain, but not enough to change the way I move my body. So I keep running. FWIW, I'm 61, so fairly familiar with what kind of pain is debilitating and what is just irritating.

SMART Approach

I am a newbie with hip bursitis.  I'm curious about other people's reactions to pain.  Do you run with pain?  At the other extreme do you stop running at any sign of pain?  Is there a level of pain that you will run with - say, up to 4 on a scale of 10 - and after that you stop?  I'm curious.

A related question.  I've started doing hip and core strengthening exercises.   Sometimes they cause pain.  But it's a different pain.  More like the soreness of a worked out muscle.  It there a difference between post workout soreness or stiffness, versus actual injury pain?  Is there more than one type of pain?

Also.  Sometimes, like today I ran with no pain.  I was excited and pleased.  But as I've gone about my day I notice achiness and sore pain.  Should I have been feeling this pain during my run?  Does anyone else only feel the pain afterwards?

Many runners have discomforts. There is a difference between having pain and being injured. If your discomfort does not improve between runs, then you have to be aware. A lot of us have some forms of tendonosis amd perhaps arthritis that can cause chronic soreness but not not stop us. We deal with and work through. Be smart. Be in tune with your shoes, body, running form, body weaknesses etc. Core work and full body strength training is mandatory for most runners who are getting older and want to keep it going into the 40s, 50s, 60s etc.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Linny12

I am noticing that I have some mild plantar fasciitis and knee tendonitis with my most recent marathon training cycle. It never hurts while running, but does later in the day. I have been icing, foam rolling, stretching, strengthening exercises, etc. just so I can complete my training and run the race in October. Then I plan to take some time off and recover. I am in my mid-40's, so I feel that a certain amount of pain or discomfort is to be expected. It is more annoying than debilitating at this point.

in my eyes... it's kind of a sore/pain vs. pain/injury types of feelings.

when something feels "not right" or like if I keep this up I'm going to get injured, tear something, or be down and out days weeks months, I shut it down.

I think it's always better to shut it down early or do the easier workout and live to fight another day, than to push through any kind of pain that feels unnatural or like imminent injury.

rest recover and come back stronger.

300m- 37 sec.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If you’ve been diagnosed with hip bursitis then you should be resting/rehab and not running. (easier said than done)

When I’m marathon training I always get aches and niggles which is normal. If I’m in pain during a run then it’s alarm bells.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I am a newbie with hip bursitis. 

Rest your hip...

Plenty of runners on here deal with pain due to long term injuries but this does not describe your situation.  Inflammation will continue if you continue to stress the hip.  Pain will be delayed to after running because during running, warm blood flow to the area can mask the pain.  Then boom, swelling/inflammation occurs again and after exercise you are in pain.  This indicates that the injury is not yet healed.  Have you seen a Sports Medicine Doctor or PT?  Might be worth it to get some professional help.  Smile

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

sport jester

Biomimeticist

If the bursae are to improve joint movement, and they're in pain, then you've got issues of gait mechanics to deal with. Its a matter of how inefficient you are. My first suggestion is to stop running until you fix the movement issues which cause the pain. Foam rolling, or ice treat the symptoms, but not the cause.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

If you’ve been diagnosed with hip bursitis then you should be resting/rehab and not running. (easier said than done)

Have you been diagnosed with hip bursitis? I had what I thought were classic symptoms of hip bursitis, but it turns out it was my piriformis, which required different physical therapy.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

PaigeR

I experience knee pain when I run and I'm not really sure what to do about it. I just persevere through it. I've tried knee wraps but they are hot and uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I experience knee pain when I run and I'm not really sure what to do about it. I just persevere through it. I've tried knee wraps but they are hot and uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Try to figure out what is causing it rather than continuing to run. Are you new to running?  Have you checked your shoes to make sure they are the right ones for your feet and biomechanics?  Did you recently ramp up your training too quickly. This is did you increase speed or distance too much too soon?

Is it one or both knees?  Is it on the inside or outside of the knee?  How long have you had the knee pain?

PaigeR

I have not checked my shoes for biomechanics as I don't know what that is. Could you elaborate on that? How do I get that checked? Who does such a thing? Yes, I'm new to running and I'm over 50. I just assumed it was age-related. I've been having knee pain for a few months, but the running makes it worse. It's not terrible and I don't want to stop running if I can avoid it.

If you go to a running store nowadays most can do a "gait analysis" and tell you what kind of shoes are the best for you.  Many will watch you run on a treadmill.  They can tell you whether your feet roll in or out when you run (underpronate/overpronate), whether you might need more stability in your shoe or less stability.   If you are newer to running get your shoes fitted at the local running store vs. buying discount from the big box stores.  If it is a long standing running store, they should be able to help fit your shoes and may even be able to help eliminate knee pain if the pain is caused by ill-fitted shoes.

A very vague rule of thumb is that if you have high arches you probably need less rather than more stability in your shoe.