Post Flying Pig injury (Read 904 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

After running the flying pig marathon on Sunday I have a pain in my foot I don't understand. I can touch my foot but it does not hurt. Only when I walk on it do I feel any pain. It seems to be on the top of my right foot on the right side. Any ideas what it might be? At the end of the race my legs and feet were killing me. It was brutal.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where exactly is the pain?
      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

It is hard to describe because I cannot push and find it. My foot feels better with my shoes and socks off. It seems to be on the top right side of my right foot. It is something new that I have never had before.
          2011 Goals:
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where atop your foot? Near the toes or ankle? On the side of the big toe or the little toe?
            Check out the June 2007 issue of Runner's World. On pg. 81, Where does it hurt? shows the different parts of the feet and ankles. Maybe this will help you pinpoint the pain? The whole section (The Runner's Body is dedicated to the foot and ankle. It also offers tips for building stronger feet and ankles. Quick recovery, eh?

Why is it sideways?

It's hard to say, but you might google Morton's Neuroma and see if any of your symptoms match. If it is Neuroma, it's not too dangerous, and sometimes simply changing shoes will help--particularly if you look for a shoe with a wider toe-box and perhaps heavily cushioned.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

May be a Neuroma, but that usually hurts under the foot. Most likely it is a ligamentitis or a bruise (from the shoe laces tied too tightly), and may be an injury to an ossicle, one of the small round bones some of us have between the major bones. The good news is that all of these respond to ice, antiinflammatories and shoe loosening. Bearcat, when you tie your shoes, can you still get a finger in under the tongue?
                RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I never checked to see if I could get a finger underneath or not but I will in the future. If I had to guess I would say it is that darn Plantar fascia again. It normally comes with sore calfs for me but this time it seems to be on it's own. So I am guessing good ole RICE along with some IBU? I am going to give it another three days rest and then after that it is what it is. I have to get back on the ole running path. Too much work to do.
                    2011 Goals:
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Plantar fascia is on the bottom of your foot, not the top. With PF, the spot that is most painful is right under your heelball. The pain is worst at night and gets better when you use your feet.
                    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well that is not it then. Hmmm not sure what it might be but will continue to ice it, rest it and elevate it. Now sure how to compress it? It has three more days to heal itself other wise too bad. A man has to keep his running log going.
                        2011 Goals:

Lazy idiot

Well that is not it then. Hmmm not sure what it might be but will continue to ice it, rest it and elevate it. Now sure how to compress it? It has three more days to heal itself other wise too bad. A man has to keep his running log going.
                        I am not a doctor, and I'm a relatively new runner compared to many that are here at RA. But I do have experience with a variety of sports related injuries on a personal level. The one piece of advice I have to follow (for myself) is this: Don't let pride get in the way of a proper recovery. It seems as though you are bent on running regardless of how you feel. I hope for your sake that this isn't a recipie for disaster. I know you have mentioned you're planning on some more marathons this year. If it were me, I'd figure out what the cause of the pain is, let it heal, and then resume training. If I couldn't go in October... well... there's always next year. I wish the best for you.

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bearcat, I think it probably is a ligamentitis from shoe wear (your laces are too tight). This is fairly common and underrecognized, and you describe this condition pretty well. Ice it for a few days and take antiinflammatories for a few days. Wear all your shoes loose, especially when running. If this is what you have, you can expect 1-3 weeks of pain, but it should continue to improve.
                          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I don't think it is pride as much as stupidity Cool. I don't think anytime you run 10 miles or more that you do have some sort of pain or soreness. Believe it or not I actually took it easy this week to help recovery. My goal was to run 40 miles this week and I only ran 38. I thought about running Sunday just to make it to the amount and thought it would be better to rest my body for the long haul. I ran 5 times this past week and all seems well. I have a little ankle soreness and after my 13 mile run the muscle under my right foot on the outside was bothering me for a little bit. Trent, I am taking your advice and looseing my shoe laces a little bit.
                              2011 Goals: