National Marathon RR - One Bridge Too Far (Read 724 times)

Dave

This was a goal race for me. My goal was 3:30 (9 minute PR over my last race in October). That didn't happen today. I arrived early and met up with a bunch of great RA'ers in front of the Armory near the start of the race. Met up with MamaofThree, AmoresPerros, Kimmie, WillRunForBeer, and PreDawnRunner (and one more RA'er who's name is escaping me, my apologies). Missed Shangen and Tri-Kev and some others. AmoresPerros (Perry) had agreed to pace me since he had run his goal race and BQ'd in fine style a couple of weeks ago. He was an amazing running partner. He let me drive the pace and reeled me in some when we needed it. We ran together until mile 23 when I basically begged him to let me suffer alone, but that gets to the end of the story. The first half was amazing. After an 8:15 first mile cutting through the crowds, we ran comfortably past the capitol and down to the National Mall. Great scenery and some fantastic neighborhoods up the hills into Adams Morgan. We held pace nicely through here. Miles 2 through 10 were 7:39, 7:40, 7:55, 7:52, 7:47, 7:45, 7:31, 7:28, and 7:40. At this point you may be thinking, "What the hell? That doesn't look like a 3:30 pace! That looks faster.". You would be exactly correct. It was faster. But it felt comfortable so onward we pushed. We hold pace and finish the first half in 1:43, nearly a two minute PR for me and two minutes ahead of pace. Miles 11-13 were 8:03, 7:49, 7:52. After the loop around the Armory, Perry got to see his lovely wife, Crystal and we continued to hold pace back past the capitol building and made the left under the Mall towards the waterfront. Miles 14-17 were 7:43, 7:45, 7:43, 7:39. Going under the capitol the splits get strange through Mile 19 but we're holding on well. After the waterfront, we make the right past the new Nationals stadium and cross the bridge over the Potomac. This was the bridge and it was one bridge too far. We hold pace but I can really feel it now. Miles 19-21 pass in 7:55, 8:04, 8:17. At this point, basically the wheels fall off and bonk. I bonk hard. I bonk to the point where we start with a walk break and by the second walking break I go to my knees and try but fail to throw up. We shuffle along through mile 22 and 23 when I beg Perry to keep going and he finally does. Miles 22 and 23 pass in 11:01 and 14:00. By mile 24 both of my hamstrings have seized up and I can barely jog for more than a 20 or 30 yards before walking again. Miles 24-26 are 14:10, 13:35, and 11:43. This last 5K was easily the most painful 3 miles of my running life. I finish in something like 3:53, but frankly I'm not entirely sure of the exact time. I don't bother stopping my garmin until probably 7 minutes later. I tell this story to serve as a lesson to others. Mostly, its the lesson of making incremental improvements rather than trying to bite off nearly 13 minutes on my PR (based on our 3:26 pace). Ironically, I don't really regret the race. I regret not showing more pace control in the first half but I don't regret pushing my body to and past its limit. I'll run smarter next time. I'm grateful for the opportunity to meet and run with Perry. I also got to have lunch with Kimmie and her family, Perry and Crystal, Lou and Harriet. That made the whole painful experience fade by the time the entrees arrived.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You certainly were animated by lunch time -- obviously you regained energy Smile I haven't yet pushed that fast in a marathon -- I may at some point try it -- well, try to see if I can push down near my lactate threshold (if that is the right thing), but not so close as to blow up -- I'm guessing you got too close to yours -- but I'm far from an expert on running biochem. But I admit I'm a bit afraid to try to push nearly that hard, for fear - hm, not actually so much of the embarrassment of crashing, but of the pain that may come Smile Anyway, by the way, when I took off, I ran pretty hard, and of course it is a LOT of fun to run fast at the end and pass people - just a thrill to my competitive side (which I imagine we all have to some extent). At the very end coming to the chute, as I was sprinting, the last woman I caught heard me, looked back, and then sprinted to avoid me passing her -- I don't know which of us got across the line first, but I went up to her afterward, and told her she was the only person who raced me at the end, and thanked her for a fun race at the end. PS: Great thread title Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sorry you didn't get the race you wanted, but as I mentioned to you, a) you went for it, and, b) you toughed it out to the finish. Congratulations on the finish -- I don't know if I could have with what you were going through. It was great to see you for lunch -- this was a really fun day all around for Harriet and me, and lunch was a great part of it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Ouch, so sorry to hear this. You were gutsy to finish up in such pain. You've got a great attitude in learning from this experience and moving on. You'll get em next time. (It was good to briefly meet you this morning.)

Be safe. Be kind.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice race, guys! So cool that so many RA peeps were there to meet. This has me EXTRA excited for Bayshore in May! Big grin Dave, sorry the wheels fell off so bad at the finish, but at least you gutted it out and didn't get a ride in a TV van for the last 3-7 miles. Evil grin It was a learning experience, even if not a very pleasant one.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Happy Camper

Nice swing at the fence Dave. Just went slightly foul. Next one will be out of the park. Congrats on slugging it out , finishing respectably and upright!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Tramps is the other guy we met this morning.... Smile Hey Dave, You are an inspiration to me. Sometimes I work hard, sometimes I don't. Today, you worked hard and you did great. How else can you know what you can do if you're not wiling to take the risk? And it's awesome that you have such a great perspective. Thanks for making the effort to find us at lunch. Shows you how much I know directions, because I thought it would be an easy place to meet. Have a beer and relax, knowing that you pushed it to the limits today. Big grin
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, now that Kimmie mentions it, finding parking for lunch kind of required pushing it to the limit too Smile

Bugs

Sometimes I read race reports and glance at people's training logs and wonder, "What the? How'd they pull that off?" Seems with a marathon, you just never know. Next time you might be ready for the 3:30. Always be proud of doing your best, and you certainly did that today.

Bugs

xor

Never ever trust the "comfortable pace" in the early miles... ...unless it is one of those wonderful days when everything is going well. Too bad we never really know if it is, in fact, that day until later. Sorry it didn't go so well today. I've had that day. Coincidentally, I had that day today too. Amores Perros is also Armory Perry. Got it. Wife is Crystal, which would be even cooler had you spotted her near Crystal City.

A Saucy Wench

Way to blow up Dave...seriously awesome job!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

dgb2n: You swung for the homer, or grand slam and had to "settle" for something "less." I had a similar experience in NYC. Too fast for too long. At least you have the nice metaphor/simile of a bridge too far. You learned though. And goddamn ... isn't the marathon a fickle bitch/bastard? Another day, things may have been different. You "just" have to run "enough" marathons to figure out the "secret."* What "enough" is and what the "secret" is, whotheeff knows. I hope to catch a sniff of it someday. (I have no idea how many marathons you've run - and I'm no pro - so please don't take this as patronizing.) No shame in leaving it all out there and testing the limits. Glad you are looking forward to employing your lessons in the next race. And I'm envious you got to meet some more RAers. * Questionable use of quotes seem to flow more freely w/ vodka.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... * Questionable use of quotes seem to flow more freely w/ vodka.
                            Which reminds me -- one aid station in the first half was offering beer Smile

lap

Sorry to hear about the bonk, Dave, but at least you came out of it with a half marathon PR.
                                Which reminds me -- one aid station in the first half was offering beer Smile
                                haha, that was pretty random. One girl in front of me grabbed a cup and almost gagged, so I didn't test it... My favorite shirt of the race was one this Asian dude was wearing that said: "Powered by Dim Sum" LOL!