Michigan Apple 5K Run (Sparta) (Read 618 times)

Marathonmanleto

Although the weather didn't cooperate the race turned out to be very memorable. In typical West Michigan fashion the race was an outstanding display of organization and hospitality. Granted the race is in it's seventeenth year. Our race packet included more swag than we could imagine including a 1/2 gal.of Apple cider! Before the race it rained quite hard, but strangely it stopped for the duration of the run. Right after it poured for quite some time. There were a total of four of us in my family running and my youngest son won the 10 and under age group in a time of 22:10. I came in 4th in the 40-44 age group in 18:40. Wife, 28:10 40-44 25th place and other son 27:20 25th in 11-14 age. For first place, my son received: 1. first place medal 2. bottle of sparkling champagne 3. 25.00 Gift card to TGI Friday's 3. and my favorite --an apple tree (6 ft. tall)!! which we spent the afternoon planting. This race is part of the Michigan "Fruit Belt Series" which is followed by the Coloma Peach Run August 4th and the South Haven Blueberry run August 11th. Runners who post finishing times in all three events earn a commemorative "Fruit Belt Series" Gold Coin Award. If you can make any of these remaining races please try. The people and hospitality are sure to put a smile on your face.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Joe, that race sounds like it was awesome...you all did some amazing work! I definitely am going to have to keep that one in mind for next year--I love the team set-up, too. And the swag and awards sound better than anything else I have heard of--that apple tree is really cool! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Kirsten--will look for you next year. Keep on runnin!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One of these days we have to find a race that lots of RA folks can do...I keep trying to talk people into the 5/3 Riverbank Run, since there are 2 popular events--25k and 5k. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congrats on the PR Joe! Smile We're very close as I recently ran 18:48. I'll have to keep an eye on your log to see if you can aid my training. And man I bet you are proud of that young man of yours. That's awesome. Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Marathonmanleto

Proud indeed. He's a natural and loves to run. Your mileage graph looks familiar. With those times a sub 3:30 marathon should be attainable. Good luck on your training! Stay healthy and keep it up. I'll keep peeking at your log as we move through the weeks.
                Sounds like an AWESOME RUN!! Congrats to you and your family!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Marathonmanleto

Thanks mama. Good to see you're back on the roads! Way to keep the bunny at bay! Keep on Crank'in.

Marathonmanleto

pics