Super Run 10k (Read 537 times)

I just had to share! I haven't run a 10k race in years! I had so much fun today but even better, I ran faster than I've ever run before! I was thinking it would be a pretty small turn out so I lolly gagged around this morning and low and behold was stuck in traffic at 6:30am. but it turned out just fine. It was cold, again. I know many of you will laugh but 47 degrees is COLD to a So CA girl! I decided I was gonna man-up and went with shorts. I was really glad I did. The sun was bright, the weather was perfect! It was a cozy event with lots of people I recognized. I saw lots of lifeguards I knew and several runners I've met at other events. My mood was light and easy...no worries. I had my Garmin on virtual trainer with my goal to do the 10k in 48:30. That would be a 7:48 pace which I felt was sorta out there, but what the heck. No timing chips, so the ready set go signal sounded and off we went. About a half mile out, a girl I've run with a couple times caught up with me and we chatted. At about mile 2 I mumble something about my face being so cold if felt like it was novicained up! She muttered, that she couldn't talk any more. Up and over first bridge. We were at a 7:30 pace. Up and over second bridge. Mile 3 she stopped to tie her shoe and waved me on. I came up to the turn around and felt that slow down (7:44 which was my slowest mile). Mile 4 was back up and over the two bridges. I found a pack in front of Sea World, I was trying to move away because I could see this guy's breath in front of me and I was feeling like I was breathing his used air Tight lipped so I passed him. On the home stretch, someone came up on my left...I felt a serious energy suck. It was a lifeguard that dh works with...he had his arms out like he was riding a bike Clowning around: I said, "you GO Matt!" Tongue This guy does paddle board competitions...where they paddle to Catalina and back. I finsihed 17seconds behind him! Overall placement 227 out of 988 JENNIFER age 37 bib#1476 Division placement 5 out of 82 (I can't believe I ALMOST PLACED!!! Big grin ) Time: 47:20 Pace: 7:37 Overall, I am pretty darn please with myself. That's the fastest race I've ever done...actually, the fastest 6miler ever! Up until today my best was 7 miles at a 7:56 pace.

Jennifer mm#1231

Wingz

Professional Noob

Cool! Great run! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Dog-Love

Really great job and to be so close to placing in a field of close to 1000 in a tough age division should make you proud! I would like a little SoCA weather for a week or so. And I would love a sub 8-minute mile pace again.
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        dillydoodles

Awesome run Jennifer, and great report. Congratulations! 47 degrees sounds like a fine Spring day to me. I'm dreaming of mild days, but that won't happen here for a few more months! You rocked that 10K. Way to go Cool ~ Arlene
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

47º and your face was numb...? What an excellent time and placement--you should certainly be proud of that! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LOL, I know. Blush I'm such a wimp! I felt really stupid after reading about your weather! Big grin So I've decided, everytime it's really cold (30's and 40's) I'm going to tell myself, "someone in Michigan is running in snow..."

Jennifer mm#1231

RunningHammer

Excellent stuff - well done! Big grin
                  Wow, nice race! Big grin
                  2009: BQ?
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

LOL, I know. Blush I'm such a wimp! I felt really stupid after reading about your weather! Big grin So I've decided, everytime it's really cold (30's and 40's) I'm going to tell myself, "someone in Michigan is running in snow..."
                    Big grin And this Summer when our heat index is still under 100º F I will think of my friends in warmer climes! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay