50K trail race as a marathon training run? (Read 733 times)

Go for it! You may find that you never go back to road marathons though Big grin
      I ran the Mississippi 50k trail run last year as a training run for making up my mind whether to run the ING Georgia full or half marathon. The course was not overly technical (and I came in 20 out of 60) but it still took a lot out of me. I ended up deciding to run the half marathon. You do need to keep in mind that trail runs don't correlate specifically to road races, as you have to watch your footing more carefully and even on non-technical trails it's somewhat easier to twist an ankle. As for support the Mississippi 50k was outstanding. No spectators of course but he aid stations were well supplied. Bottom line of my 2 cents - go for it, but keep it in perspective if you are going to use it as a training run. I like trail runs but because I'm so clutzy I don't run them without a partner, just in case I fall and twist/break something. Clowning around
      USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

Imminent Catastrophe

The Mississippi 50-I've been wanting to run this for three years now, and it seems I won't get there again this year. Darn.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016