Cost of races (Read 682 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How much should races charge for registration, by distance. How much of the cost of a race do you think it fair for you to pay, versus a sponsor?
      Depends on the race. $15 - $20 for 5k $35 - $75 marathon How much should sponsors pay? Depends on a lot of things.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How long the race as been in business, what it's mission is, how big it is, etc. All of which may infuence how many sponsors the race has and how much money the can and do contribute. For a rinky dink local yokle 5k race with 150 runners whose mission is simply to put on a good race for the benefit of the runners, I'm okay with sponsors paying nothing and the runners paying for the whole thing.

Runners run

Scout7

Depends on the race, and the stuff I get. If we're talking a small 5k, I'd pay about $25 max. And that'd be day of registration, and I get a t-shirt. Penn Relays Distance Classic was a 20k, cost around $15-20, served only water on the course, had a nice cotton t-shirt (standard fare), and some oranges, water, and bagels at the end. As for sponsors....I have no idea. Whatever they're willing to donate, I suppose. Heck, if they can donate something other than money (support staff, food, drinks, shwag), I'd say right on.
            25 bucks is my max on 5k's. Those that offer a no t-shirt option are nifty as I can 'usually' tell the quality of the shirt by looking at the flyer design and such. 10k's 20-30. Half Marathon's - 40-60 Marathons - 50-80 I like to take advantage of those early registration options and have yet to run a race that warrants paying more than that in entrance fees. (I'm sure they're out there, I just haven't done them yet.) As for the sponsors, I dunno I tend to go with mindsets that races are for running so all the schwag while nice is unnecessary. I'd rather they give a trophy for 1-3 overall M/F and masters and save money by not giving out the age groups/door prizes/etc but I'd guess I'm an outlier for the target demographic of the races that are trying to actually make money.

madness baby

5K's - as little as possible. I was happiest with a 10K that I paid $35 for. Got my first technical t and the proceeds went to Heal the Bay. Marathon- I've only paid $100 but will never pay that much again unless I get handed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich about 3 hours into it.
              deb
                Anything under a 10k, under thirty dollars... above that up to 80, possibly.
                  5-10k, $20-25 1/2 marathon - up to ~$50, depending on the location Marathon and ultras - up to $100. I don't enter very many short races anymore. Too much $, too many shirts, not enough distance. I save my entry fees for "specials" events - the longer distances or runs with friends and family.
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    Marathon and ultras - up to $100.
                    However, I do expect to get what I pay for. The higher the cost, the better the shirt, the better food, nice tech shirt, a promt start, and a clearly marked route! The last marathon I did in Reno in May was $90 (race day), and while the shirt was great, the race started late, runners got lost, not nearly enough port-a-potties along the route, and the post-race food was a joke. BUT, the race entry did include a free concert (who's that guy?.......did Time Passages back in the 80's). A loud concert is NOT my idea of a relaxing evening after 26.23 miles, however, so no, I didn't go. The run was worth about $50-$60.
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                      I like to go on the cheap for the shorter distances - one of the main reasons I joined a local running club. I think eight of the races they put on - from 5k to 10k are free to members (for a $20 annual membership). No t-shirts, but nice people and cheap races. Non club races I've paid for recently are $20 (10k), $40 (each for 2 halfs), $25 (25k), $20 (15k), and $50 (marathon) - except for the halves (which sound average) the others are probably on the cheaper side (all of them in advance) and depending on the race, distance, and maybe the cause - I might be willing to pay 50%-100% more. Regarding how much I should pay versus a sponsor. I would think that the sponsor's payment should be based on what it was worth to them. What the runners' had to pay after that would be dependent on the race's mission (like mikeymike said).

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

All the 5k's I've participated in have been 20 or less (one of my requirements for running it) and they have all provided excellent goodie bags, shirts, and post race refreshements. They were smaller events, held by local charities, run groups, non profit orgs, etc. One of these was champion chip. The one HM I did was around $40. It was CC and was sponsered by a large local business and many other area businesses. The shirt was okay but the goodie bag bit, as did the post race food. I would have paid $10 more for better food (rahter than half an orange and a mini water bottle...).
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Marathon- I've only paid $100 but will never pay that much again unless I get handed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich about 3 hours into it.
                          Yum, but that's an expensive sandwich. You know, you can probably buy everything you need to make one of those (peanut butter, jelly, bread) for less than $5 at a grocery store. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

(all prices converted from NZ$ to approx US$ which is why they look a bit odd) so far this year i've done 17 races. 8 were the local 5k series at $4 each - included a free beer at the end. 6 were free (or rather included in club membership). and then 3 10ks - $8, $16, $24. the local 5k series is basic as anything. about 100 people max, number written on your hand, cones and signs out but no marshalls. on the other hand the important things are all right - accurately measured and certified course, times available to look at within 30mins and online the same night, somewhere safe to leave your stuff, spot prizes of bottles of wine provided by the sponsor (who also provides the post race beer) Big grin the 10ks have all been good value. the cheapest one was a basic trail race, whereas the most expensive one had a stadium start/finish, loads of marshalls, post race food and a decent goodie bag, championchip timing and results up on a board within 15mins of you finishing. depends on what you are after i guess. the most expensive one was run alongside a marathon ($43) and a half marathon ($35). those would seem pretty good value too IMO. if i knew it was going to be a good race i'd probably pay up to $50 for a half and $70 for a marathon. 5ks are too good value close to home to do one elsewhere!