Totally new to running (Read 258 times)

Caitsmith93

Im really interested in running as I am trying to lose weight. I go to the gym 3 to 5 days a week and use the elliptical and some weight machines. I've read online that running will really accelerate weight loss though, and I'm game for anything that will get me outside! We've had beautiful weather the past few days in PA so while I was walking my dog I tried jogging for a few minutes. My shins would hurt a little so I'm wondering if there are any stretches I should do for that or anything. I am kind of over weight so that may be the problem too. I'm just looking for any advice or techniques you experienced runners have! Thank you!

Feeling the growl again

Weight can always be an issue.  But basically, your body needs to adapt to the exercise.  Some light pain and soreness is an expected part of the adaptation process.  The key is to ease in slowly, be patient in building up, and focus more on consistency than anything else.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Spaniel offers excellent advice. You are less likely to try to do too much too soon and injure yourself if you consider this a long term commitment; maybe a lifetime commitment.  Good luck!

probably not fast enough

I've lost 35 pounds running, but that comes with two stipulations: 1) It took me two years, and 2) I had to count calories with smartphone app to lose the last fifteen.  I agree that you need to build up slowly...that's what I did, which is part of the reason my weight loss was so slow, but it was worth it because I remained basically injury-free.  Another perk on running is the fun of running races, which I've enjoyed a lot.  I built up to where I was running over twenty miles/week, and then counted calories (which really meant eliminating occasional handfuls of peanuts, midnight snacks, most second-helpings, etc).

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'd also suggest checking your shoes. Proper shoes are not guarantee obviously, but a good shoe makes a difference. Don't take up running in an old pair of shoes that don't have much life left in them. You can do this! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Running can also stimulate your appetite. I lost weight running, then (while still running 40+ miles a week), the weight came back on. Running can certainly help with losing weight, but you have to watch what you eat too. When I was in my 20's and running, I couldn't eat enough food and was Highschool thin. But in my 50's, it a different story. I may be running 50 to 70 miles a week, but to lose weight I have to limit portion size.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

. My shins would hurt a little so I'm wondering if there are any stretches I should do for that or anything.  Thank you!

If you Google "Toe Taps for shin splints", and especially look at images, you'll see a stretch that helps a lot for shin pain.  It will hurt some at the beginning, but after a few days it will get easier.  Do them while at your desk.  20-30X each set.  Try to get several sets a day.

That exercise will help strengthen and stretch the muscles that are hurting you from your runs.

Also, definitely get fitted for good running shoes at a good running store.

If your shoe laces are tied too tight it can cause your anterior tibial tendon to hurt which feels similar to shin splints. It could be as simple as that.

DDXD

Slower than I look

If your shoe laces are tied too tight it can cause your anterior tibial tendon to hurt which feels similar to shin splints. It could be as simple as that.

This exact thing happened to me.  I got new shoes and tied the right laces way too tight for a long run.  For the next 2 weeks, it hurt like a bitch but went away with properly tied laces.  The pain wasn't really the same as shin splints though (but might be in some people).

Megan29

Link spam
                      SeeSanDyRun

Hi. I'm new too. How did you start and what are some do's and don'ts that are most helpful for those that are over ?

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

Walk-running is a great way to start.  The older you are, the more time you should give your body to adapt.  Look at the different couch to 5k programs that are online.  Build in repeat weeks as needed.  When you are up to 3 miles or 30 minutes, then you can run 3 times a week at that distance and hold that for 3 or 4 weeks.  Then you can slowly build up more distance by adding an extra day, or adding 1 mile to one of your runs each week.  After 2 or 3 weeks of building up, take a cut back week.  Always run slower than you think, at least for the first year or so.  Good luck : )

BimBamBooh

exciting, lot of things to learn

Tiefsa

Im really interested in running as I am trying to lose weight. I go to the gym 3 to 5 days a week and use the elliptical and some weight machines. I've read online that running will really accelerate weight loss though, and I'm game for anything that will get me outside! We've had beautiful weather the past few days in PA so while I was walking my dog I tried jogging for a few minutes. My shins would hurt a little so I'm wondering if there are any stretches I should do for that or anything. I am kind of over weight so that may be the problem too. I'm just looking for any advice or techniques you experienced runners have! Thank you!

You actually have the right approach.  Just start adding light jogging to your walk.  Gradually, add more as your body adapts to it.  Think of your shins hurting as a signal that you are improving, but don't do much more yet.  There are a lot of good tips already in this thread to hopefully alleviate that pain.

jfa

Walk-running is a great way to start.  The older you are, the more time you should give your body to adapt.  Look at the different couch to 5k programs that are online.  Build in repeat weeks as needed.  When you are up to 3 miles or 30 minutes, then you can run 3 times a week at that distance and hold that for 3 or 4 weeks.  Then you can slowly build up more distance by adding an extra day, or adding 1 mile to one of your runs each week.  After 2 or 3 weeks of building up, take a cut back week.  Always run slower than you think, at least for the first year or so.  Good luck : )

This is what got me started.

You also found a great place to get advice.

Good Luck and Enjoy.