Take it outside! (n00b pace question) (Read 888 times)

Finished!

Well, I took my run outside this morning...this was the first outside off treadmill run for me. Undecided needless to say, instead of doing W6D3 (25min nonstop) I had to pare it back to W6D2 (10:3:10) as I can't figure out pace to save my life - well, okay, I figured out pretty fast that I needed to slow down...but at the end of the 10 min I was sure happy for the 3 min walk! Suggestions? And no, I don't have an HRM. And I haven't got my mind wrapped properly around RPE either I suspect.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Best advice? Don't sweat it so much. Try again next time. You'll be fine! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Enjoy the scenery...
        JakeKnight

Well, I took my run outside this morning...this was the first outside off treadmill run for me. Undecided needless to say, instead of doing W6D3 (25min nonstop) I had to pare it back to W6D2 (10:3:10) as I can't figure out pace to save my life - well, okay, I figured out pretty fast that I needed to slow down...but at the end of the 10 min I was sure happy for the 3 min walk! Suggestions? And no, I don't have an HRM. And I haven't got my mind wrapped properly around RPE either I suspect.
          Hmmm. My suggestion: go find a copy of Galloway's Book on Running (2nd Edition). As you'll notice in a post or three of mine, I'm a true believer in Galloway's ideas. Elite runners will criticize him - and they may be right (although the dude was an Olympian and ran a 2:09 marathon, so he's not entirely clueless). There may be better experts for those trying to run 2:40 marathons. But what Galloway does better than anyone (in my rarely humble opinion) is make running fun for beginners. He makes his programs simple to understand, answers all the questions, makes the pace easy to follow, and keeps it low mileage. Right now, your most important goal - actually your only goal - should be to make running fun. To get addicted to it, and make it a part of your life permanently. And I'm not sure that running 25 minutes nonstop at this point is the best way to do that. Seems like it's more likely to either injure you or just make you hate running. Just my 2 cents. Galloway's book: http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book-Running-2-Ed/dp/0936070277/sr=8-1/qid=1159716354/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6191373-1855353?ie=UTF8&s=books You might want to check out John Bingham's book, too: http://www.amazon.com/No-Need-Speed-Beginners-Running/dp/1579544290/sr=8-1/qid=1159716369/ref=sr_1_1/102-6191373-1855353?ie=UTF8&s=books

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

mikeymike

I'm confused. What is it you are trying to do? I've been running for most of my life and yet I don't now what the heck W6D2 or W6D3 means. I usually just put one foot in front of the other and let it happen. I have to go with ttmalek on this one; enjoy the scenery.

Runners run

Wingz

Professional Noob

Mikeymike - There's a very reigmented plan called "Couch to 5K" that a lot of new runners follow. It takes you day by day, week by week from being able to walk for 30 minutes to being able to run for 30 minutes straight. W6D3 would be "week 6, day 3" of the plan. (10:3:10) would mean you're supposed to run for 10 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, and then run for another 10 minutes. Something a lot of people don't realize when they're on these plans is that really, one size does NOT fit all. And lots-and-lots of people need to repeat a week here or there before they're able to reach the prize of being able to run for 30 minutes straight. It doesn't mean they can't be a successful runner - it just means they needed an extra week to build up to that pont. But many people see it as a personal failure if they can't keep up with THE PLAN! Woodlandsprite - it took me 20 weeks to get through a 12 week program. I'm still unusually slow, but just yesterday I ran 9 1/2 miles - my longest yet. Don't stress about needing to repeat a day or week here or there. Just do what your body's ready for and you'll be fine. Smile

JakeKnight

Something a lot of people don't realize when they're on these plans is that really, one size does NOT fit all.
                Amen. Somebody ought to engrave that on a plaque somewhere.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Wingz, I agree with you. Those plans assume a lot. I started one for that failed 15K. Then from the advise I gleened from this BB I just ran distances and if I need a recovery walk, I needed one! So what? My distances and times are improving AND I enjoy the run. THAT is what counts.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

Exactly! Big grin If you're enjoying yourself, staying injury-free, and are improving, what more could you ask for? Big grin Way to go, Gregg.

Finished!

you guys are fantastic - thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate it. I am in the midst of reading the Bingham book No need for Speed - and am trying to remind myself to take each day by itself, and enjoy the progression - I actually did run the 25 min today, and it felt surprisingly good Smile
                      Walk + Jog = wog.
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

You're going to be just fine! You're just worrying too much. Relax! Have fun with it! Running is a gift you give yourself, not a punishment! Smile

Finished!

You're going to be just fine! You're just worrying too much. Relax! Have fun with it! Running is a gift you give yourself, not a punishment! Smile
                          LOL - thanks for the vote of confidence and the reminder I find I have mental "issues" when it comes to this whole thing - I'm terribly goal oriented, so getting "set back" a day is mentally frustrating, even though I am fully aware that it is the right thing to do. I am finding this whole running thing to be interesting as I have actually started looking forward to the run and the exercise - I can't begin to tell you how many exercise programs I've picked up and dropped I think some of the fun is I'm actually seeing the fitness transfer into some of my other activities - that and I've finally taken the run outside and away from the gym (I *really* dislike the gym - a mental thing too, I'm sure Tongue)
                          Walk + Jog = wog.