Stress Eating Tips? (Read 99 times)

BarneyBunch

I'm a recent college graduate who is still transitioning into a full 40 hr workweek. I've noticed that, due to my schedule changes and relative inexperience at my new job, I've got a lot of stress.

I've been trying to keep up with my running and fitness goals, but I usually turn to eating when I get stressed. I've noticed that this has had an effect on my running capabilities, motivation to run, as well as my overall health. Which is also making me more stressed.

Any tips on dealing with stress eating and stress in general? I'm trying to focus on getting my job and finances in order to try and alleviate some of the causes of my stress, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for dealing with stress eating in particular.

I'm not sure there is a silver bullet here but I appreciate the situation.  The transition sucks.  My two cents...I've always found working out in the morning helps cut down on my stress significantly.  Clears my head, makes me feel like I've already accomplished something to start the day.  And apparently, there is even some science to it.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/time-day-and-fitness-goals-why-working-out-morning-best-stress-not-muscle-size-351936

Does it suck to get up at 5:00 to run?  Sure.  But you get used to it.  The bigger change is probably what time you go to bed- if you're straight out of college, I suspect you're probably not used to a 10PM bed time.

kilkee

runktrun

I don't mean to sound flip, but one thing I STRONGLY suggest is to try NOT to stress about the stress eating, if ya get me.  I, too, tend to change my eating habits when stressed - either eating more sugary snacks when I'm tired or even missing meals when I'm super busy.  I've found that whenever I try to control the stress eating in addition to all the other things going on in my life, it backfires.  I've been through enough cycles to know that things eventually even out.  I know, it's super frustrating right now, and of course if you're totally missing out on nutritious foods, then just riding the wave may not be the smartest idea and you might want to enlist professional help.  Try to commit to a simple running schedule; don't heap more responsibilities onto yourself when you're already busy and spread thin.  Best of luck!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Does it suck to get up at 5:00 to run?  Sure.

Not at all.  Those pre-dawn runs are a beautiful thing, having the streets and trails to yourself. It clears your mind and makes you a lot more able to face the day ahead.

But yeah, it seems like it sucks, and may not be feasible if you have to work till midnight. Make it happen if you can, though.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I started using MyFitnessPal and found if I keep it light up to dinner, I don't really have to worry about dinner.

For me that is spinach smoothie in the morning (550 calories) after my run, spinach and apple salad (250 ish) for lunch that is really filling, some kind of snack in the afternoon.

If I don't run I substitute something light (or nothing) for breakfast.  Running has made a good difference in my stress too.

Bill Wagnon / stl

I started using MyFitnessPal and found if I keep it light up to dinner, I don't really have to worry about dinner.

For me that is spinach smoothie in the morning (550 calories) after my run, spinach and apple salad (250 ish) for lunch that is really filling, some kind of snack in the afternoon.

If I don't run I substitute something light (or nothing) for breakfast.  Running has made a good difference in my stress too.

So wait a minute you don't eat dinner, have a smoothie in the morning plus spinach for lunch.

When do you actually eat?

Just reading this, stresses me out. Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

T Hound

Slower but happier

Keep up the excercise nothing is better for stress reduction.

I cant claim to have the stress eating this figured out but i can say never let what you just ate/drank keep you from running.  If its easy pace run youll be fine.  If  not slow down.  Workouts are a little different for me.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block