High school cross country footwear (Read 42 times)

Village people

My youngest son decided to try xcrountry this year. It

went very well. He is an eighth grader and plans on running in high school. When will he need spikes or flats? He has on season under his belt but plans on running off season (while he plays basketball) and thinks he needs them.

Thanks

He needs them for off-season?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Spikes for XC are good for some courses, BAD for others. If he's going to have one pair of racing shoes, get some of the spike-less spikes, Saucony offers some pretty good ones. Spikes are actually slippery on paved surfaces, and will pick up wood chips and never let go on courses that have them. They are GREAT for all-grass courses, like the meets at golf courses or parks.

Eastbay.com has a huge XC racing flat and spike selection.

Obviously you and he know that he won't be doing much TRAINING in spikes or flats, right? Just a few speedwork sessions during season. The best investment is on good, lightweight training shoes for all the miles he'll be putting in.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Village people

He needs them for off-season?

His coach runs a year round team with a few meets. I have no idea how that works in the winter. He might need snowshoes.

Thanks, SurlyBill. He is convinced he needs them to be faster. I am inclined to wait until high school and maybe his feet will have stopped growing.

I remember demanding spikes in 8th grade for the district track meet. It was late in the season, and the local store only had size 12 for my size 8 feet. Got them anyway and wore them to victory in the 660 and 1320 (they only let us run 3/4 of the high school distances for some reason).

If the price is right, it's always good to provide support and encouragement for such interests. My kids have zero interest in physical activity, and loathe organized sports and make fun of the people who participate in them. Much to my chagrin.

I looked at Eastbay last night, and they have a LOT of flats and spikes in the XC section, some are really cheap, less than $20. But again, spikes are for racing and speed workouts, and will see less than 5-10% of the mileage that training shoes will get. Lightweight trail running shoes are also great for racing XC; Saucony Peregrine and Kinvara TR2, Hoka Speed Instinct and Challenger-4, Skechers GoTrail-2, Brooks Mazama, Altra Superior-3. In my experience, the Hoka Challenger might be the best shoe for training and racing in, if you're going to just have one shoe. The Skechers GoTrail might be even BETTER, but I haven't had a pair yet, just the Ultra version.

Village people

Thanks!

He is currently running in Hokas (found on clearance) and they seemed okay but they are a bit small already. He wears a size 13 at 13, his feel can’t have much more growing to do.  I will ask his coach. They are doing a speed workout tomorrow.

Most of my kids are active. My older daughter sits around a lot but she is in the band and on the robotics team.

DJJan; you're lucky he wears a 13! Ross Dress For Less often has good running shoes and spikes in that size. I pick up shoes for my brother in that size when I come across good ones for cheap. My size is pretty common, 10-10.5, and if they get anything good they are gone pretty fast.

Village people

DJJan; you're lucky he wears a 13! Ross Dress For Less often has good running shoes and spikes in that size. I pick up shoes for my brother in that size when I come across good ones for cheap. My size is pretty common, 10-10.5, and if they get anything good they are gone pretty fast.

Thanks!

Village people

I talked to his coach and caved after a kid slipped in the race yesterday. They were $20. He has a real race on Sunday. It will be interesting.

My son has size 15 (14 sometimes)....

When shopping for shoes when larger than 13.... you 1st look for what's available and in stock, and then decide what looks best / fits best.

In essence, 'style' and 'color' don't matter.  Inventory matters.

(Hope the kiddo stops growing soon before you end out where my son is)

I wear 13s, and have enjoyed significant discounts on great shoes in the past.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Village people

My son has size 15 (14 sometimes)....

When shopping for shoes when larger than 13.... you 1st look for what's available and in stock, and then decide what looks best / fits best.

In essence, 'style' and 'color' don't matter.  Inventory matters.

(Hope the kiddo stops growing soon before you end out where my son is)

I wear 13s, and have enjoyed significant discounts on great shoes in the past.

Ugh. That is rough. That is exactly what we are already doing. I found one pair of spikes in his size. His feet might be about done. He is 13 years old but plays lots of sports so he needs

shoes.

If he improves dramatically I will be back.