2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

Turbolegs

Lets get the ball rolling !!!!! This is a thread for the chase pack of the Sub-3 thread who would like to go under 4 hours first. Smile Thanks to BigBoy for taking the mantle in 2011. And as a form of giving back to the community, i will do the same for 2012.

The purpose of this thread is to unite us in our shared goals, experience the journey towards the 4hr mark together, and share knowledge and insights that could prove to be the extra edge that some us would need to get over this barrier. Of course, there are quite a few who have done it before and want to do it again, and this thread is the place to relive past glories as well.

Borrowing a bit from Clive's start to the sub-3 thread in 2011, here is a short intro about myself. My name is Mahesh, am 32 and have been running (somewhat) regularly for the past 2.5 years; never a runner before in my life. I am coming off a 3 month hiatus right now and slowly building towards an enjoyable Tokyo Marathon in Feb 2012.  I have been on RA for 2 years now, and absolutely love everything here - from reading about breakthrough performances to debates between very experienced runners to gentle banter about everything under the sun !

All the best runners and keep them legs turning !! Smile

Hopefuls for sub 4:00 marathon in 2012

8-Jan: Rozzie: Walt Disney World Marathon (Florida): < 3:50 <4:00:41>

14-Jan: RunnerClay: Museum of Aviation Marathon: (Georgia) <4:02:48>

15-Jan: azredbirds052: RnR Marathon (Arizona) <4:11:30>

18-Feb: atomno2: Myrtle Beach Marathon (South Carolina) <4:41:06>

19-Feb: Wing: Austin Marathon (Texas) <4:07:43>

17-Mar: TeaOlive: RnR Marathon (DC) <3:56:46>

18-Mar: Stadjak: Shamrock Marathon (Virginia): 3:45 <3:32:11>

15-Apr: Christirei: Go St.Louis Marathon (Missouri): 3:45 <3:50:08>

15-Apr: Runlarryrun: Go St.Louis Marathon (Missouri): <3:40 <3:46:48>

5-May: Awaldvogel: River Towns (Pennsylvania) : 3:40 <3:36:51>

6-May: Unlikelyrunner : Colorado Marathon (Colorado)

6-May: TJN : Lacrosse Fitness Marathon (Wisconsin)

6-May: NJPhil: NJ Marathon (NJ) <4:01:58>

6-May: Jerseyrunner: NJ Marathon (NJ) <3:57:20>

6-May: Goatrunner: Kalamazoo Marathon : (Michigan) : <3:45: <3:35:20>

6-May: LedLincoln: Lincoln Marathon: (Nebraska): <4:17:01>

6-May: Cfkid: Flying Pig Marathon: (Cinncinnati)

12-May: JenRosie: Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon (Minnesota): <3:30 ~~ < 3:40: <3:30:54>

19-May: jasonbrogan: White Peak Marathon : (UK) <3:56:18>

3-Jun: AndrewE: Christchurch Marathon: (NewZealand) <4:27:22>

18-Aug: J.Franzen: Helsinki City Marathon (Finland): DNS

8-Sep: Runningfirst: Salmon Marathon (Idaho): DNS

30-Sep: Morrows: Wineglass Marathon (NY): DNS

14-Oct: Angola Jones: Mount Desert Marathon (Maine): <4:58:25>

20-Oct: Wing: Frankenthon Marathon (Texas) <3:59:04>

28-Oct: Turbbaugh: Marine Corps Marathon (Virginia): DNS

18-Nov: JML : Philadelphia Marathon  (Philadelphia): DNS

2-Dec: MattJ: Dallas White Rock (Texas)

8-Dec: Vegefrog: Kiawah Island Marathon  (SC): <3:51:37>

9-Dec: deds_the_scrub: Tuscon Marathon (AZ): <3:42:08>

2012 Graduates

26-Feb: TurboLegs: Tokyo Marathon: (Japan) : <3:56:50>

17-Mar: TeaOlive: RnR Marathon (DC) <3:56:46>

18-Mar: Stadjak: Shamrock Marathon (Virginia): 3:45 <3:32:11>

15-Apr: Christirei: Go St.Louis Marathon (Missouri): 3:45 <3:50:08>

15-Apr: Runlarryrun: Go St.Louis Marathon (Missouri): <3:40 <3:46:48>

5-May: Awaldvogel: River Towns (Pennsylvania) : 3:40 <3:36:51>

6-May: Jerseyrunner: NJ Marathon (NJ) <3:57:20>

6-May: Goatrunner: Kalamazoo Marathon : (Michigan) : <3:45: <3:35:20>

12-May: JenRosie: Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon (Minnesota): <3:30 ~~ < 3:40: <3:30:54>

19-May: jasonbrogan: White Peak Marathon : (UK) <3:56:18>

21-Oct:  jasonbrogan: Amsterdam Marathon: (Netherlands): <3:43:32>

20-Oct: Wing: Frankenthon Marathon (Texas) <3:59:04>

8-Dec: Vegefrog: Kiawah Island Marathon  (SC): <3:51:37>

9-Dec: deds_the_scrub: Tuscon Marathon (AZ): <3:42:08> 

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Turbolegs

Next up at the start line

See you in 2013 !!!!

Turbolegs

Race reports for Sub-4 attempts

Wing: Austin Marathon: Race Report

Stadjak: Shamrock Marathon: Race Report

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Sign me up.

I also signed for the 3:30, but a good friend let me know I'd more likely DNF -- as this is my first marathon.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Turbolegs

Sign me up.

I also signed for the 3:30, but a good friend let me know I'd more likely DNF -- as this is my first marathon.

Hi stadjak - which marathon? and when? 3:30 is a strong goal for your first marathon but doable if you have the foundation. All the best !!!

atomno2

Well, I guess I should make it official.  I'm in too   I am fresh off a 1/2 PR 1:53:38.  I took a week to recover and now I am about 12 weeks out from Myrtle Beach.  It will be my first full, and to be honest, I am looking to just survive!  I have had a few weeks where I have ran in the 30 MPW range, and have done my best to ensure I have  decent base.  I have done very little speed work up till this point.  I am planing on following the Pfitzinger's 12/55.  I know, it is not ideal but I must have forgot how to count when I planed out my races 6 months ago.  Looking at the plan, and based on how I felt at the end of the 1/2, I think it is doable.  Now don't get me wrong, I will bail at the first sign of injury.  It is not worth it.  I have created a google calender (https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=e8t3vqmf69ocs7nfhpph01iis4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York) to put my training schedule on. (I also add it here on RA every two weeks or so.  Google already has the rest of my life so...) I plan on finishing this one, and then will decide when and where to really go for time.  I am hoping that all of you can keep me honest, and help me get out the door.  The step out the door is always the hardest!!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Turbolegs

Well, I guess I should make it official.  I'm in too   I am fresh off a 1/2 PR 1:53:38.  I took a week to recover and now I am about 12 weeks out from Myrtle Beach.  It will be my first full, and to be honest, I am looking to just survive!  I have had a few weeks where I have ran in the 30 MPW range, and have done my best to ensure I have  decent base.  I have done very little speed work up till this point.  I am planing on following the Pfitzinger's 12/55.  I know, it is not ideal but I must have forgot how to count when I planed out my races 6 months ago.  Looking at the plan, and based on how I felt at the end of the 1/2, I think it is doable.  Now don't get me wrong, I will bail at the first sign of injury.  It is not worth it.  I have created a google calender (https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=e8t3vqmf69ocs7nfhpph01iis4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York) to put my training schedule on. (I also add it here on RA every two weeks or so.  Google already has the rest of my life so...) I plan on finishing this one, and then will decide when and where to really go for time.  I am hoping that all of you can keep me honest, and help me get out the door.  The step out the door is always the hardest!!

Fantastic man .. i will add you in. And we have practically the same PRs at the HM (i ran 1:50 on a course  that was 20.37km as per my garmin so i have added another 4 minutes for the last 800m or so). I plan to do a modified pfitz plan as well ... perhaps we could share our training plans I will make one soon enough to share ... Smile

All the best for your virgin marathon !!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm going to try for 3:45 in the Shamrock March 18th. If I can hit that I might be able to hit 3:30 for the Fall marathon.  I should be able to sub-4 if I don't get injured on March 18th, my first marathon.

Fingers crossed!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive   17 March    R&R USA     D.C.   

steph  

TeaOlive   17 March    R&R USA     D.C.   

I'm in! Same race as TeaOlive (see you there maybe?)

Thanks for starting/maintaining this thread. I've been looking for it for 2 months now (but too lazy to start it myself Joking).

@TeaOlive, are you using a training plan? I'm in week 4 of Pfitzinger's 18/55.

MTA: I have the pfitz 18/55 completely entered under my training plans. I think you can export it and change dates if you want to use it and save the time of creating it yourself.  What he calls GA, I called Easy and labeled all long and medium-long as long. I included any speed work/intervals in the notes for each run.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm in! Same race as TeaOlive (see you there maybe?)

Thanks for starting/maintaining this thread. I've been looking for it for 2 months now (but too lazy to start it myself Joking).

@TeaOlive, are you using a training plan? I'm in week 4 of Pfitzinger's 18/55.

I'm using Master Run Coach (Nobby) again.   I used it for my first marathon in November and was happy with the plan and the result.

Started the new plan this week so it will only be 15 weeks long.

I know that it is kind of soon to do another but we were going to be up in D.C. any way at that time.  

And DD and DH are doing the half so...

steph  

Turbolegs

I used Pfitz 18/55 in my training towards the Gold Coast Marathon earlier this year but didnt manage to quite go through it all the way - some tummy issues had me winded up for a week and that drop in momentum, i couldnt quite recover from.

I dont have Nobby's plan with me but i do take to heart his advice on several of the threads here which i think are applicable. From an aerobic fitness standpoint, running as often as possible (within reason of course) is something that i am trying to do now.

I am using Dec to get some time on my feet and will use all of Jan and half of Feb to do some "quality" workouts before hitting Tokyo on Feb 26th.

Maniac

I'm in....It's an early one.  PF Chang's Rock N Roll Arizona on January 15, 2012.

I am 38, and have been running (fairly) regularly for about 6 years.  This will be my 4th marathon, current PR is 4:04:59.  Ran Chicago in October with some friends, just for fun, and it was a 4:45+ marathon....felt really easy, though, as we walked a lot the last 10k.

If I break 4:00:00, it's going to be by the skin of my teeth.  The course is pretty flat and fast, though they have changed it this year.  I have a history of exploding in flames over the last 10k, so we'll see what happens.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

I used Pfitz 18/55 in my training towards the Gold Coast Marathon earlier this year but didnt manage to quite go through it all the way - some tummy issues had me winded up for a week and that drop in momentum, i couldnt quite recover from.

Just completed the CIM last weekend after following the 18/55 plan.  Thought the plan was great and got me to a 3:51 finish.  Last year finished in 4:13.  Besides following the training plan, I did 30 minutes of core training 3x a week, and leg strengthening 2x a week.  All of that combined helped me this year.  I felt strong, my endurance level was way up this year, and my recovery after long runs was quick. 

Turbolegs

I'm in....It's an early one.  PF Chang's Rock N Roll Arizona on January 15, 2012.

I am 38, and have been running (fairly) regularly for about 6 years.  This will be my 4th marathon, current PR is 4:04:59.  Ran Chicago in October with some friends, just for fun, and it was a 4:45+ marathon....felt really easy, though, as we walked a lot the last 10k.

If I break 4:00:00, it's going to be by the skin of my teeth.  The course is pretty flat and fast, though they have changed it this year.  I have a history of exploding in flames over the last 10k, so we'll see what happens.

Wow ... you are nearly there man ... you need just 5 minutes of your PR to crack this wide open !! Looks like you are going to be the first one here to be put to the test .. all the best !!