training at high elevations (Read 889 times)

Go Pre!

Ok, here's the deal. At the end of july we will be in Show Low AZ for 10 days. I will be in mid-training for octobers columbus marathon and will not want to miss any training. How do I adjust for the altitude of 6400 ft considering I usually run at sea level? My guesses are: 1. Reduce pace and distance ... or 2. Reduce Pace same distance ... or 3. Change nothing and suck it up Wink Any input would be appreciated Dad-o
    mikeymike

Your pace will slow down on its own at that elevation whether you like it or not. I'd just try to run the same effort and let the pace fall where it may. And when I'm traveling, I generally reduce mileage anyway. I usually figure if I can get in 75% of normal mileage while on the road, that's a success.

Runners run

At what elevation do people normally start noticing differences? What if you live at 500-600 and have a race planned at 4,000? Sorry for the highjack, Dave Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My experience parallels that of mikeymike. Yeah, you're going to feel a 6400ft elevation change, but you'll naturally begin to acclimate after a few days. Opt for #2 on your list, and accept the fact that it is what it is. For Bonkin: My daily runs are at about 3,000ft. I don't notice much change in the races I've run at 5,000 ft, and in my last marathon at 6,000ft I found I acclimated after about 3-4 miles. You're going to notice a change with the 3,500ft difference you mention, but the impact of the change will depend in part on how aggressive you plan on running, what the distance is, the profile of the course, and what kind of shape you are in.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            Thanks, Don. It's my first marathon and I didn't consider the elevation when I signed up for it. We turned it into a family trip so I will get there 2 days before the race so I guess I will acclimate a little. I will take similar advice as you and mikey gave Dave and not push the pace too hard.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Go Pre!

thanks guys - also, I found this link http://www.mamashealth.com/run/high.asp Dave
                ...I will get there 2 days before the race so I guess I will acclimate a little.
                I'm running at 7000-9000 feet next weekend, and I live at 1500, so i've researched this too. I've found several sources that say if you can't fully acclimate (several weeks before the event), then it's best to get there the day before or even day of the event. So, bonkin, you may want to arrive a little later than planned.
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                rudidu

well i guess i am pretty lucky since i live at like 1.9km above sea level :P haha I'll kick all you guys if we had a race at the coast Smile maybe not lol Smile
                    I'm currently in Artesia, New Mexico running...I left Jacksonville, FL which is right at sea level...Artesia is above 6k feet....The first few days it felt strange running around here, but now I'm doing alright...For my mid-term PT test I ran a mile and a half in 10:03... Just my $0.02
                    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://www.skyrunner.com Everything you need is there. Matt Carpenter's website. He regularly wins Pikes Peak marathon.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the info...running Crater Lake Marathon in August, 6000-7800 feet.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool! That one gets great reviews in terms of scenery and difficulty. Good stuff! I look forward to your report.

Go Pre!

I am loking forward to runing Big Sur next year!
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Big sur is tough and scenic. But it ain't at elevation Wink. I want to run that some year, but it is always the same weekend as CMM, one of my home town thons. I may just have to do a double. Tougher road marathon? Big Sur? Crater Lake? Grandfather Mountain? Monkey? Others?

Go Pre!

Great Wall and Comrades are 2 others I am interested in.