Upcoming 5k...Getting Nervous! (Read 89 times)

Fightinlibrarian

Now that I have kids and I have become a penny pincher budget-wise, I limit myself to one 5k each year.  This will be my third year doing our local town 5k, but it never gets any easier.  I feel like in-between working and doing preschool at home with my little ones, I haven't prepared nearly enough this year.  This course prides itself on being extra challenging (starting on a massive half-mile uphill with 3 other big hills throughout) so it's something I kind of need to be ready for if I'm going to finish respectively.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to share that would help me with this challenging course?  The race is on Saturday, and I'm starting to dread it.  I want to at least try to finish respectably.  Any pointers on saving steam on a course like this would be greatly appreciated!  

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Don't worry about competing with another person; just do the best you can do. If you haven't trained much, you're certainly not going to be able to keep up with someone who has.

Don't push too hard going up the hills, but try to keep mostly even effort.  On the downhill, widen your stance and let your arms windmill, but again, don't push so hard you burn out. Good luck!

Seattle prattle

There's a few things that can help at this point.

Relax. IT's actually good to be a little apprehensive about an upcoming race, so don't be too hard on yourself. Try to use the concern to focus on how to get the best run in that you can. You can only do what's within your capabilities, so put that energy into naking sure you come to the line with a mindset ready to summon up all that you do have.

Don't go out too fast. A big hill right off the start can be an energy sinkhole and confidence drainer, Just get over it without losing too much time and keep yourself ready to build pace from there. On the last hills, you can redline if you want, but don't do it early or you will suffer inordinantly later on.

Do not overstride running downhill. Common mistake. Short stride, increase cadence if you want, land with feet under your center. Lean a little forward but not too far and don't lean back in an effort to break your descent. You might want to practice this a little on the course between now and race day.

Go run the course a time or two in the next few days at a slower pace to get comfortable with it.

Think big picture. This race isn't going to define you. You may learn some important things in the process and it can help with your whole running program and perhaps even in the larger plan. Run a race you can be proud of. That doesn't have to mean a certain time or placement, but it could mean one that was done with exemplary effort given what you had available at the time, and one where you were honest afterwards and used it to its full benefit in terms of improving and what to do going forward.

Lastly, since i cut down on the races i do, i tend to get overly anxious about those that i do run. Being aware of this may help keep it in check.

Good luck, and remember, the fact that you are doing this is a giant plus and credit to you, so keep it in perspective.

Fightinlibrarian

ilanarama--Thank you for putting it into perspective.  It's all about doing the best I can do and not about what others are doing.  Sometimes I forget to shut down that 18 year-old's voice in the back of my mind wanting to be competitive.  The reality is, her priorities were far different than mine now many years later as a grown woman with children of my own.  I just have to remember that I can still embrace the joys of running in the best way I can and enjoy the many healthy benefits it provides.  Doing that race means something far different than it used to, and I often forget that.  Thank you for reminding me of what matters most.    And I agree---I can't push too hard on these energy draining hills!

Seattle prattle--Thank you for the hill running advice!  I actually found that first big starting hill last night and practiced like you recommended.  I had been trying to use it to get stronger at the tail end of my runs and doing reps up it, but this time I actually tried to go up it how I might do it during the race at a more comfortable pace.  Thank you for your tips!  I will just try and do my best and try to run the smartest race I can under my current training circumstances (or lack thereof).  

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Back when my kids were young I did the same think I ran the same 5k every year. Both my kids ran it with me several times.

Don't worry about your time.Just try to run a even pace and then push the last half mile.

Raising kids is more important than your 5k time

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Fightinlibrarian

This:

Raising kids is more important than your 5k time

Yes!!  I'd honestly rather be going on a bike ride with my newly training wheel free 5 year olds than running these days!  But, silly me I signed up for this goofy race again.  Maybe someday when they get bigger the kiddos will want to run and that will make it a million times more enjoyable!  

Fightinlibrarian

And....it's over!  Went out waay too fast the first mile and ended up losing lots of steam, but I finished!  Came in at 24 minutes.  I'm grateful for my amazing husband who supports me in my annual madness!    My kids ran up to me smiling and happy after the race and then they ran the bases in the adjacent baseball field...it was lots of fun!  And now for our bike ride!  

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congratulations!  It's way too easy to go out fast, but at least the misery is over soon.  And 24 minutes sounds like a fine time for a hilly course.

AriAlmaneih

Congrats on a great race.  It sounds like your family was able to enjoy it as well.  It's always great when the kids see their parents living a healthy lifestyle.