1st race tip? (Read 5779 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

Great post JK! An instant classic! I am also running in my first race tomorrow (a 5K). I've got a real stupid question regarding finish times. How does timing work if chips are not used? Is there a guy with a clock and clipboard at the finish line, noting the time each runner crosses the finish line? Or am I supposed to time myself, and then report it? Also, when you get your race number, do they give you pins to attach it to your shirt? Or do I have to bring my own pins? Or does it stick-on somehow? Blush
    RE: Timing - in the races I've run without chip timing you're given a numbered card as you cross the finish line. You fill out the card with your name, gender, and age group and drop it in the appropriate labed box. Somehow, this card is matched up with your time (I don't know how that part works, though). RE: Bibs - when I've gotten my bibs, they've all come with pins, but if you're picking up your bib on race day, better safe than sorry - bring a couple of pins with you. That way you know you're all set and you have one less thing to worry about.

Robin

I know the year is young - but you have my vote for best post ! Anyway we could sticky this somewhere? Thanks Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

va

Thanks for the tips!!!

madness baby

JK, what can I say? That was beautiful. Wink It was nice to freshen up on race tips before my race this weekend. And I'm adding Making Love Out of Nothing at All to my shuffle right now. Maybe I can find it at mile 20 or so and it will make me laugh through the end. . . it does get a little inspirational in there. Courtney, hope you had a great first race! Tell us how it was! Smile
          deb
          JakeKnight

Courtney, hope you had a great first race! Tell us how it was! Smile
            Glad you all enjoyed the babbles. You might want to add your own race tips (even some more serious ones) and have somebody pin them up. In fact, we ought to start pinning up a lot of the threads that have commonly asked info in them. Now to echo what RunChic just said - did we ever get a race report? Or did Courtney, in fact, end up getting hit by something heavy and sharp? Boy. That would be kinda ironic, huh? Oh, Scout - here's Air Supply's latest song. Unfortunately I couldn't find the video to "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" --- but this one's even worse better. They still sound exactly like they did in 1986, the last time I subjected my ears to their schmaltz. Enjoy! (Don't blame me if you claw your ears out, or get so depressed you jump in front of a bus): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SV4yFU5HjY

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

va

...Now to echo what RunChic just said - did we ever get a race report? Or did Courtney, in fact, end up getting hit by something heavy and sharp? Boy. That would be kinda ironic, huh?...
              http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e01dbd04e53e4b7a8f1d814c707b66e1
              Scout7

I have never been happier that streaming media is blocked at work......
                JakeKnight

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e01dbd04e53e4b7a8f1d814c707b66e1
                  Oops - not only did I see it, I commented. I feel sheepish. Baa. Thanks, Va123.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

madness baby

I have never been happier that streaming media is blocked at work......
                    I wish mine had been blocked. That was terrible. Well, the first 20 seconds, anyway until I had to turn it off so it wouldn't ruin my day.
                    deb
                      JakeKnight --- Big grin My husband and I totally enjoyed reading your list of important stuff nobody ever told you...we laughed and we learned! That was great, thanks!

Michelle

Here’s a long and exhaustive (but not complete) list of some of the important stuff nobody ever told me (and that I later wished they had), in completely random order, provided for absolutely no reason at all:
                        JK, this is WAY too funny! And even funnier, very useful!!! What a great post.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Scout7

22: If you take your cell phone with you on the race, people like me will be laughing at you. If you actually answer it, expect more of those sharp and heavy but weakly thrown object to come flying in your direction. (One exception: if you happen to be the race director of the race in which you’re currently running. Otherwise, you’re just an uber-dork who needs to have a cellphoneectomy). PAM!!!!!!
                              22: If you take your cell phone with you on the race, people like me will be laughing at you. If you actually answer it, expect more of those sharp and heavy but weakly thrown object to come flying in your direction. (One exception: if you happen to be the race director of the race in which you’re currently running. Otherwise, you’re just an uber-dork who needs to have a cellphoneectomy). PAM!!!!!!
                              Pam has uber-abs - that gives her a free pass to carry a cell phone if she wants Tongue

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

Pam has uber-abs - that gives her a free pass to carry a cell phone if she wants Tongue
                                Yah. She can break girly-men in half - just by flexing her abs.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?