2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Speed Surplus

Speaking of weather, I'm starting to peek at the 10 day forecasts, even though I'm 24 days out...

Here's how the start currently looks 😂

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - Congrats on the sub16 hours and loved the bit when you scared the hikers with your swearing. 

Milkman - Just give it your best effort as finish time is irrelevant.  I remember Slammin accusing some of the Boston marathon folk a few years back of giving up before they’d even started because of bad weather forecast…and he definitely had a point!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

SC - that's what snow looks like in NYC after approximately 12 hours on the ground...more black than white

Mikkey - absolutely not giving up! It's actually more of a warning to myself to not go out too fast. It's very easy to run PR pace for 6 miles in those conditions and then blow up in the back half because the heat doesn't get to you that early. I still think running around 1:16:00 pace is right, but it's very dependent on whether there is any wind to cool me down and if the sun can stay behind some clouds. Otherwise, I think breaking 1:17 is good. So let's just say 1:15-1:17 in general.

Speaking of slammin, I'll see if I can run into him at any race this summer. His mileage on Strava has been all over the place, I can't tell whether he is seriously training at this point.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Cal: Great job toughing it out and getting the WS qualifying time! Sounds like it was an absolute hell those last 20 miles. I would have just quit. I really hope you finally get to run Western States this time! After watching a lot of Youtube videos of the race, I almost, for a brief moment, thought I would like to do it. But I quickly realized I'd rather watch other people do it. 

It looks like the Boston 2023 registration will likely go back to a mid-September timeframe. Getting a 3:20 (BQ for my age) by then seems very tough. And I need to probably get sub 3 to get in the same corral as The Titans, ie, Mikkey and Cal. That seems near impossible. Worst case, if I can't get a BQ, I'll still drive up and cheer you guys on. And more importantly be there for the post-race beers.

JMac:  Good luck this weekend!

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh... I am sorry, I am sorry - totally forgot to ask you - how many ultras did you run?

less than you. all slower than you. Satisfied?

I hope you get a snow route with boats and low 80s as a high.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

less than you. all slower than you. Satisfied?

It's no need to be satisfied with facts. Facts are facts - pure and simple. Just wanted to clarify that I also know thing or two about temperatures when you run a real ultra distance...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

And I need to probably get sub 3 to get in the same corral as The Titans, ie, Mikkey and Cal

Are you sure that the titans aren't Cal and RP? 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Resident Historian

Getting a 3:20 (BQ for my age) by then seems very tough. And I need to probably get sub 3 to get in the same corral as The Titans, ie, Mikkey and Cal. That seems near impossible. 

Just deal with the "very tough" first. Then the impossible -- improve your corral placement with anoher race in December (CIM!) or January (Houston?).

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

CalBears

Are you sure that the titans aren't Cal and RP? 

Because you have to consider 19 years difference between Cal and RP and only 8 months difference between Cal and Mikkey. Plus, he said - i.e.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just deal with the "very tough" first. Then the impossible -- improve your corral placement with anoher race in December (CIM!) or January (Houston?).

That’s what I was thinking as my goal fall marathon will be after registration.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

That’s what I was thinking as my goal fall marathon will be after registration.

You are coming to CIM? Awesome! 

Running Problem

Problem Child

here let me fix this for you first....

Are you sure that the Titans aren't Cal and RP? 

How can you even put "titans" and these two people's names in the same sentence? Their solution to everything is either "run CIM" and everyone knows CIM is a bullshit, downhill, perfect weather every year marathon course.

*researches Titans*

Those guys suck. Bunch of spoiled brats if you ask me. Thanks for the educated insult. Cronos seems like he has one of those Shakespearian Oedipus complex things. Weird thing to name a punch clock/time card thing after. I do like how there were no rules when he was in charge. Typical youngest sibling attitude. Older siblings never have ANY rules and get to do ALL the cool stuff.

*stomps feet down hall back to troll layer lair*

JT do what you gotta do. I should be there in April this year (first one. Aren't new deer so cute?) so if there is a social gathering of the forum members (something I always thought was cool from the RWOL 3:20 days) I'll drag my wife to it. The PLAN is to go without children.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You are coming to CIM? Awesome! 

He can't come to CIM, otherwise how will he be able to say all your times are juiced from that downhill mountain course? 

RP - it's about time you get a race on the calendar. Nobody should run 20 milers on a Friday for fun.

JT - I have faith in you running a good marathon. Have you looked at these last change BQ marathons? Last Chance BQ.2 Marathon

JT - I have faith in you running a good marathon. Have you looked at these last change BQ marathons? Last Chance BQ.2 Marathon

Thanks JMac. Funny you mentioned that race, I just registered for it yesterday along with Erie! They are the same weekend  (Sept. 10 and 11) and hopefully weather will be decent for one. Historically both are on the warm side...

Longboat: Not sure I'd be up for a second marathon in the Dec/Jan timeframe, but the 2 you mentioned would be at the top of the list. Hopefully the next 3 months of training will go miraculously well and I'll get it all done in September!

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

He can't come to CIM, otherwise how will he be able to say all your times are juiced from that downhill mountain course? 

RP - it's about time you get a race on the calendar. Nobody should run 20 milers on a Friday for fun.

*does 20 miler for fun*

Do you have a recommendation for a road marathon I should run, as well as a time goal I should reach train for?

EDIT: Oh yeah Mr. "run commute PM/AM is so wonderful." My commute to work is 23 miles. So if I did things your way I'd have back to back long runs.

Do you like apples?

https://youtu.be/gcZPWkNY6x8?t=102

VDOT 53.37