Kicked off training for Bay State (Read 774 times)

nkeliher

Running nut

Finally got in a long(ish) run exactly 3 months before the Bay State Marathon in Lowell MA. It was late (11pm), hot, humid and I was too wired to sleep so I put on my shoes and churned out 5 laps of the 2.6 mile loop near my house. I started easy (8:45 pace) but I felt great so I gradually picked it up and did the last loop at 8:00 pace for a time of 1:49 for 13 miles. We'll see if I can do a long run weekly like all those training plans recommend. I've been eying a 16.1 mile loop along the Merrimack which might be my next challenge.
      exactly 3 months before the Bay State Marathon in Lowell MA
      Seems hard to believe, but October will be here before you know it. Including this coming Sunday, I'm down to the last four long runs on my training plan. Are you running the half or the full?

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

Seems hard to believe, but October will be here before you know it. Including this coming Sunday, I'm down to the last four long runs on my training plan. Are you running the half or the full?
        I am doing the Full - been 3 years since I ran a marathon (and that one was a lot of walking at the end of Ironman Florida). I know what you mean. I just did an 18 miler this weekend and when I look at my schedule I only have 3 more really long runs planned (one more 18 and two 20s). Granted there are a few races and long progression runs in the mix as well, but it makes it feel like it is just around the corner.
        nkeliher

Running nut

I'm going to do the full - it's my first marathon so the most important thing is to finish but I also want to run a decent time (<9 minute pace). if anyone's got any tips about training or race strategy i'm all ears. minute="" pace).="" if="" anyone's="" got="" any="" tips="" about="" training="" or="" race="" strategy="" i'm="" all=""></9 minute pace). if anyone's got any tips about training or race strategy i'm all ears.>
            Guys - Keep me posted on Bay State Shocked .....No way I can be ready for this year, but I absolutely intend to be there in 2009............I hope you will tell me all about that race for my prep for next year.....

Champions are made when no one is watching