Most miles this year(2,387) since 1984!! (Read 1264 times)

I am greatful. Total miles since 4/22/76--65,343. I am proudest of my consistency over the last 31 years 8 months and 9 days. To be 64 and run more miles than I have run since I was 41--even impresses me! My "Secret"-- some good genes--running 2-3 min per mile slower than race pace (5-10K). Making running my play. Taking days off. Commiting to being a life time runner--not a flash in the pan. Run/walk/skip when I feel like it--and maybe, most importantly--not taking my running--or myself-- too seriously. My "speed work" is in the over 400 races I have been in from 1 mile to 100K. Some races "all out"--others helping friends attain their goals. 2008 Running Goals: Run a faster marathon than my first marathon in 1977(3:58). Tallahassee Marathon 2/3/08. Marathon PR 3:16 in 1985. Run a 50 mile road ultra under 10 hrs. Haven't done an ultra since 1993. 50 mile PR 8:12 in 1983. I will post often advising folks to take it easy. If you are in for the LONG run--what is the hurry? I have coached 100's of runners: from 2:20 marathoners to 6hr + marathoners. My favorite runners are the one who are still running Nick

Dave

Super job, Nick. I'd love to be able to view your log here on RA. Since I'm 41 now, I can only hope that I'm running as much in 23 years. Have a very happy New Year!!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

btb1490

Good luck in 2008! Very impressive what you've accomplished so far!

Member Since 2008

Good job Nick!

You'll ruin your knees!

Awesome job, Nick! I'm a 51 YO runner who has rediscovered the joy. I did some running back in the 80's, but after some serious knee injuries (unrelated to running) and surgeries, listened to my Orthopedic doc who said I couldn't run...well at least I listened for a dozen or so years. I started back again in 2000 and have not looked back. Like you, I logged more miles in 2007 than ever before. I am in better shape than I ever have been (even back in the 80's) and believe I could beat my 80's PRs in all distances, but I love the trails (ultra's) too much to train for the speed stuff. Glad you're here and looking forward to sharing experiences with you in 2008! Good running, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

congratulations nick - sounds like another very good year. i hope 2008 is a good one for you also.
                Super job, Nick. I'd love to be able to view your log here on RA. Since I'm 41 now, I can only hope that I'm running as much in 23 years. Have a very happy New Year!!
                Re: running log on line. I have decided to just keep my miles--like I have since I started. Manually. I have a drawer full of calenders-starting calender #32. To put stuff on line would make me more anal than I am. Take your time, remember--start off ez, then backoff. Have a healthy New year. Nick
                  An amazing accomplishment.
                  I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Half Fanatic #846

Great stuff Nick, and a belated welcome to RA!! Smile I got a late start running 3 years ago at 58, but now am getting well over 100 mi/mo. My 2008 goal is 1500-2000 miles, plus some LD races. I'm learning to enjoy running a lot more now. Are you doing the GWTC 30K on the 12th? If so, maybe I'll see you there. I just started MAF training, so it will be a social run for me. My longest run to date was 15.6 run to Posey's on 12/24/07. Happy running! Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Great stuff Nick, and a belated welcome to RA!! Smile I got a late start running 3 years ago at 58, but now am getting well over 100 mi/mo. My 2008 goal is 1500-2000 miles, plus some LD races. I'm learning to enjoy running a lot more now. Are you doing the GWTC 30K on the 12th? If so, maybe I'll see you there. I just started MAF training, so it will be a social run for me. My longest run to date was 15.6 run to Posey's on 12/24/07. Happy running! Bill
                      Hi Bill, I hadn't thought about the 30K on the 12th. I have 2 20 milers over the next two weekends prior to the 2/3/08 TLH Marathon. Doing the 30K might be a good idea--8 ez and 10 at MP. Glad you are into MAF. It takes some patience--but it will keep ou healthier and build a strong base. Keep running. Nick.

Another Passion

Congratulations, Nick! That's a lot of footsteps! Here's to many more... Cheers! Wink

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congratulations Nick!

Michelle

That's a LOT of running, my friend. Congratulations on an excellent year! I'm going to try a little skipping on my next run. Wink Best of luck with your 2008 goals! Sara
                              I am greatful. Total miles since 4/22/76--65,343. I am proudest of my consistency over the last 31 years 8 months and 9 days. To be 64 and run more miles than I have run since I was 41--even impresses me! My "Secret"-- some good genes--running 2-3 min per mile slower than race pace (5-10K). Making running my play. Taking days off. Commiting to being a life time runner--not a flash in the pan. Run/walk/skip when I feel like it--and maybe, most importantly--not taking my running--or myself-- too seriously. My "speed work" is in the over 400 races I have been in from 1 mile to 100K. Some races "all out"--others helping friends attain their goals. 2008 Running Goals: Run a faster marathon than my first marathon in 1977(3:58). Tallahassee Marathon 2/3/08. Marathon PR 3:16 in 1985. Run a 50 mile road ultra under 10 hrs. Haven't done an ultra since 1993. 50 mile PR 8:12 in 1983. I will post often advising folks to take it easy. If you are in for the LONG run--what is the hurry? I have coached 100's of runners: from 2:20 marathoners to 6hr + marathoners. My favorite runners are the one who are still running Nick
                              Quick update: Ran 3:57:47 on 2/3/08--BQ and 13 seconds faster than my first marathon--30 yrs ago when I was 34! I am greatful. 50 miler in December--then a 100K in '09. Nick

Running on the ocean

Awesome job, Nick!! Your mileages are just unbelievable. I also love love love your running philosophy... not taking your running too seriously and I absolutely agree. Get out there and get running. Have fun. Loose some sweat. Enjoy nature. Take it easy. Thanks for sharing!

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                                -- Jakob Herrmann
                                my running achievements