Rolling Stop....cycling situation (Read 1970 times)

she runs like a girl

Why not cycle on a less busy road?

Or do your route backwards so you are going against the bus at then end and only have to stop once - or not at all if you end at a different time.

heh heh, but as a runner I do "rolling" i.e. joggng stops all the time.

provided there are no cars around

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
    xor

Or do your route backwards so you are going against the bus at then end and only have to stop once - or not at all if you end at a different time.

Because the very first line of the original post contains the key phrase "commuting to work."

ymmv

Why dont you just start leaving 5 or 10 mins earlier in the morning.  Then you can do whatever the hell you want w/o being bothered by the pesky bus driver.

Damn it, us guys are proposing everything from changing the law to levitating the bus and in walks this lady with a simple and sensible solution. Smile

she runs like a girl

Because the very first line of the original post contains the key phrase "commuting to work."

aaah I must have ignored that part - people don't do that where I'm from.

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
          JimR

I love threads like this. I know this is illegal, but I think it's okay for me to do it anyway

Menace to Sobriety

I love threads like this. I know this is illegal, but I think it's okay for me to do it anyway

Well, traffic laws are kinda really just suggestions anyway, right?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

The voice of mile 18

Well, traffic laws are kinda really just suggestions anyway, right?

the white border around the stop sign means it optional right?

Wink

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Prizefighter

Gaaaah, didn't want to comment but it'll drive me nuts if I don't.

First of all, there's no such thing as a moral obligation to follow the law. Because sometimes laws are immoral! Morality and laws both change.

Now, I commute and live by my bicycle. And I roll stops sometimes, and I run red lights sometimes when I feel it is reasonable to do so.  Many traffic lights in my area simply will not change for a lone cyclist because they operate on metal-sensing induction coils that a cyclist cannot trigger. So if there was no traffic to around to trigger the lights for me, I'd be stuck! The law requires that I wait out the (infinitely long) red light, but the infrastructure doesn't allow me to.

On the actual subject at hand, passing the bus is a judgment call. I had the opportunity to do it a couple weeks ago, but I didn't feel that I could safely. That said, had conditions been different, I definitely could have "mode-hopped" and walked my bike past the bus, and then continued.

PCHOOOOO!
                  xor

The comet returneth.