Blood work for runners (Read 1686 times)

Chris T

I am scheduling an annual check-up soon. Are there any running related blood factors that I should request testing for? I am 53 if age matters.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No

However, for all people getting an annual checkup at age 53, consider:

- blood counts (checks for anemia)

- fasting lipids/cholesterol

- fasting glucose

- some might advocate for blood "chemistries", which measures certain salts and enzymes in the blood

If there are certain symptoms or risk factors, also consider thyropid testing, cardiac testing, colonoscopy

- and every check up every time: blood pressure

Chris T

Thanks, Trent.

good question!

I hear of doctors who test for vitamin deficiencies also, is that test called something in particular?  I'm due for mine too.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For women, you want to check for Vitamin D, and after a certain age bone density.

thanks Trent, I'll mention the vitamin D.  I'm almost 35, so have some more deteriorating to do before I need the bone density.

I am scheduling an annual check-up soon. Are there any running related blood factors that I should request testing for? I am 53 if age matters.

Not something to test for, but I found that my bilirubin levels came back elevated if blood was drawn the day after exercise.  It caused a new employer to put me "on hold" for six weeks while sorting out my supposed liver malfunction.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

that's interesting, because I have Gilbert's disease, then don't have Gilbert's disease, then have Gilbert's disease, year over year.

The indicator is high billirubin. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Depending on the type of bilirubin, it can be either a nonspecific test that is abnormal when you are breaking down red blood cells OR from liver problems, or it can be a specific test showing only liver abnormalities.

I agree with the general lipid profile.  If your physical turns up anything strange, your doctor might request additional tests.  I had shortness of breath and slow pulse last summer and my doctor ordered an electrolyte panel and a thyroid test in addition to the regular stuff.  I also had a stress test. 

henryc

I've got a physical next week and want to get the fasting blood work out of the way in the AM. Is it okay to do a 90-120 minute run before, say about an hour or so?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just to relay the experience. I ran a hard 12 the morning I was to have bloodwork done. They made me repeat the bloodwork a month later and told me not to overly exert myself 24 hours before the test. I guess some liver function tests were a little screwy and there was blood in my urine. follow up was normal but I guess hard running can screw things up a bit. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've got a physical next week and want to get the fasting blood work out of the way in the AM. Is it okay to do a 90-120 minute run before, say about an hour or so?

I did this recently, which was fine.  My mistake was not telling them I had donated blood a couple of days prior.  They had anemia treatment lined up for me.