Long run question (Read 317 times)

Linda

I'll be running a 1/2 marathon this weekend.  I don't want to race it, because I don't want to to take time off of training to recover.  I am training for a 5k.  However, the half offers an opportunity to do a long run someplace more scenic then usual.  My question is how should I pace it? I am thinking 8 miles at easy,  2 miles at marathon pace, 1 mile half, 1 mile ar 10k, and 1 mile 5k.  Is that too much for a training run?  Any suggestions?  I paid for the race, so I want to work hard, but I don't want more recovery time then a normal   long run.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

mikeymike

I would run the first 10 miles not easy but not all out either...maybe marathon pace? And then run the last 5k all out like it's a race.

Runners run

FlatFT.runner

So run it like your normal long run ?

adavis58

Your goal for your first half marathon should be to finish.

I try to stay at close to the same pace for an entire half marathon.

Maybe at a pace that is a little over your goal pace in case you get fatigued at the end and have to slow down.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

ultramarathon/triathlete

Since you don't want to race it, don't.

Run the first 8-10 miles "easy-ish" but not a walk-in-the-park.

Run the last 3.1 at 5k "effort" not pace.  Remember, you'll have 10 miles down before hand, so running the 5k at 5k "pace" will be much harder on your body.  Make sense?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

I agree with running about the first 10 at moderate pace, then pushing close to max effort the last 3.1.(Perhaps 80-90% of Max effort, not 100% max since you had already done the 10 miles before)..

---My question to you is:  Can you maintain moderate pace for 10 miles as folks pass you?  Personally I have set out to 'take it easy' in a race such as you are doing because I had another race coming up, but then I quickly find myself running a much faster pace because I don't like folks passing me.  Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

xhristopher

---My question to you is:  Can you maintain moderate pace for 10 miles as folks pass you?  Personally I have set out to 'take it easy' in a race such as you are doing because I had another race coming up, but then I quickly find myself running a much faster pace because I don't like folks passing me.  Smile

But if you line up with people running that same pace wouldn't you just be jogging along as of the pack until you decide it's time to unleash your relentless 5K fury like a scalded hound at mile 10?

You've said you want to have it be a long run, so why not just run it as a LSD run and enjoy the expierence.   Sometimes doing this in a race every once in a while is enjoyable.   Not to mention, this is the best way to avoid having to deal with any type of unexpected recovery time.

SMART Approach

I would run the first 10 miles not easy but not all out either...maybe marathon pace? And then run the last 5k all out like it's a race.

+1. I prefer this recommendation, but if you have concerns around beating yourself up too much, just run normal long run pace and then pick up the pace the last 3 miles to marathon pace or so and then crank it up the last 400m to the finish. This work out will still provide a great work out and conditioning effect.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Linda

I have to admit that I have not successful run in a racing setting without actually racing.  I've gone in thinking that I was going to take it easy, but ultimately I did not.  I'm confident that I can do it this time, because, I have to.  I am really serious about my 5K, and I have trained to hard to blow it now.  I can't afford to take a week or two off of speedwork to recover.  Just starting at the back of the 8 mile group and doing a LSR, is probably my safest bet, but...I am confident that I can be disiplined.

I'm going to do some kind of progressive run.  You all have given me good ideas.  I think running an all out 5K, after 10 miles, will be too much for me--maybe mile intervals at 5K pace.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47