Foot pain (Read 1304 times)

zoe.snowy

Undecided I've been running for a couple of weeks, but last week my foot started hurting after a run. I'm starting off slowly, as I've never run before (1 - 1.5 miles at a time). My foot pain was on the arch, and feels almost as though the arch fo my foot is ripping (although I know it's not). It lasted for a few days, but is still feeling a bit delicate after about a week. I'm confident its on the mend, but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again, so I'm keen to know if anyone knows what could have caused it? I've had my trainers (do Americans call them sneakers or is that something different? I'm not sure, but my running shoes) for a little while and use them in the gym, and have had no problems like this. Any other ideas...?
      Plantar Fasciitis is inflammation of the plantar fascia or arch tendon of the foot. It is an overuse injury causing heel pain which may radiate forward into the foot. Plantar fasciitis can also be known as a heel spur although they are not strictly the same. I had the same problem. I bought some new shoes with good arch support. After every run ice and pain reliever and I was better after a couple months. I just ran easy. There is no easy fix according to my doc. He said if it hurts just stop running on it. I laughed, I couldn't seem to take his advice seriously since he weighs approx. 300 lbs.
      http://www.deardick.com
        Dear Dick, How many people have you had deardick someone else? Big grin I might deardick myself just to tell me off. Zoe, I would make sure you have... 1. the right running shoes for your feet 2. stretch 3. ice 4. Try to run on a flat surface... some road are crowned... some sidewalks are sloped Zoe, is that your running outfit in that picture? Big grin I need to visit the UK haha Are pink wigs big there Cool

Vim

PWL

Has been

Stretching exercises tend to work the best. Try putting a frozen water bottle (or a tennis ball) on the floor and rolling your arch over it. Also, you really, really need a pair of shoes that has some decent arch or to add some arch to your existing ones. And just take it slow...

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is the pain on the outer edge, under the arch? I've been dealing with this for a few weeks, mostly on my right side. My issues got a LOT better once I started running with a higher stability shoe--though I did find that after a few weeks of this my arch felt better, but the added stability was forcing my legs to absorb a lot more of the impact, so I went back down to my more moderate stability shoes and now the arch feels better, as do my legs. If the arch pain presents itself again I will try this routine, again. Are your feet fairly flat? I have very minimal arch, so my feet flex and pronate more than someone who has higher, stiffer arched feet. Sounds like you might have similar issues. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Not sure about what is causing your pain. BUT, when I have pain in my foot (right foot has some issues from soccer) I soak them in water with a handful of ice-cubes. It does wonders. Of course I end up sharing the foot space with my 5 y/o who thinks it's a game to see how long he can stand keeping his foot in the cold water. Roll eyes

Michelle

zoe.snowy

I've been comparing my feet to those of other people and pictures on the internet, but the arch seems normal. I was putting ice on my foot, but thanks for the stretching tips. It's all feeling a lot better now after some rest. I'll see how it goes and get some more arch support if it flaires up again. Hopefully it was a one off thing! And yes, in England everyone goes running wearing pink wigs, it really helps and I'd advise anyone to try it! haha. Thanks for all the help guys. Smile It's really appreciated.
                  I dealt with some PF last year, and it was a real nightmare for me. I finally got over it after about 2 months of doing the following: 1) Stretch regularly over the course of the day. 2) Massage the foot early in the morning to warm it up. My foot always hurt worst in the morning. 3) Ice after run if needed. 4) Anti-inflamatory (advil) after run if needed. All those things helped me out, but I couldn't completely get rid of it. I finally talked to a Dr. about it, and he said often people get better running shoes/practices, but neglect their normal work shoes/activities. On his recommendation, I got some over the counter arch supports for my work shoes, and made sure to stretch/massage foot in the middle of the day, and the issue finally resolved itself in a couple weeks. He stressed not walking around barefoot very much until it healed as well. That wasn't an issue for me, but may be something to keep in mind, depending on your inclination.
                  nemo1

Like someone else mentioned: It sounds like plantar faciitis. I would go to a podiatrist and ask for help. It is possible you need orthodics to support your arch while you run. Or, you could be overpronating which would also cause the problem. I know because I had a similar issue last winter. I went to the podiatrist and he gave me orthodics. Everything is better now and it doesn't cause pain to run anymore.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Are your feet fairly flat? I have very minimal arch, so my feet flex and pronate more than someone who has higher, stiffer arched feet. Sounds like you might have similar issues.
                      Road Runner Sports has a decent guide for picking the right shoe based on your arch. One good way to check your arch is to get your bare foot wet and make a footprint somewhere where you can see it. Then go from there. Having the right kind of shoe for your foot can make all the difference. Good running stores will often have a treadmill set up in their store where someone can watch you while you run to analyze your gait. (our local one even videos your feet so they can review it in slow-mo and freeze frame.) Maybe this is an option for you as well. You may also want to make your log public (under options-->my log preferences) so we can see what you're doing. Good luck, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The thing that frustrates me most with my outer arch issues is that the shoe that makes my arch feel best (NB 857) is a little too stable for my shins and calves, so then I have issues with that. My 1222 and 767 make my shins uber happy, but then my arch/PF issues get really bad. I think I need to definitely not go barefoot and find some sort of slipper/flip-flop to wear in the house. I'd kill for neutral feet about now...normal width would be awesome, as well. k

~ Sarah Kay

TOTALLY SUCKS that you have those different issue's Kirsten!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Burninated Peasant

I had PF flare up about 8 months ago - I took care of it by replacing my work shoes (which had virtually no cushion at all) with old running shoes, buying some inserts that push heel impact to the outside of the heel, and making sure my feet are warm before I start running in the morning. I don't have any pain now, but if I run without inserts for a couple of weeks, it will come back.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had PF flare up about 8 months ago - I took care of it by replacing my work shoes (which had virtually no cushion at all) with old running shoes, buying some inserts that push heel impact to the outside of the heel, and making sure my feet are warm before I start running in the morning. I don't have any pain now, but if I run without inserts for a couple of weeks, it will come back.
                              Michael, what kind of inserts did you buy? How long did you deal with PF? I had no issues until a few weeks ago, then my more stable shoes seem to have really helped, but I can't run in them too much before the rest of my lower half starts to protest, unfortunately. I definitely think I need to wear shoes all of the time, though. I have a lot of twinges as I walk around the house barefoot. k

~ Sarah Kay

I think I need to definitely not go barefoot and find some sort of slipper/flip-flop to wear in the house.
                                Not until this house that we're in now, have I ever been on floors without carpet. Right after we moved in, and I was barefoot all the time, I started having foot problems. The forefoot was getting pink and "worn", or raw on the bottom and starting to really hurt. I don't walk around here unless I have somethin on my feet....slippers compliments of guess who...TJX! Smile