Ice Bath (Read 852 times)

Okay, so I know there've been a few threads on this scattered around, but still have a question or two: 1. Our high school cross country coach's been recommending ice baths for before really hard/important meets, in addition to after hard practices. Does taking an ice bath before help you that much? And should it be saved for the really important meets, or does it not matter? 2. How long should I stay in the ice bath, just like 10-15 minutes?
    C-R

Go here and enjoy the conversation Yikes

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've never hear of a pre-run ice bath. Maybe if it does help, you could just use ice packs instead, so you get at least some of that benefits, if there are any, to a pre-run ice.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

JakeKnight

Go here and enjoy the conversation Yikes
          A Top 10 All-Time thread easily. I still love that thread.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

anyone actually have an experience, or heard of pre-race ice baths though? trying to figure out if I should try it before district champs or something like that
            C-R

Ok. I'm no physician bit lets look at this in some logical manner. Ice baths (extreme cold) reduces inflamation but also limits circulation. Most runners (me included) run short distances prior to races to help improve circulation and blood flow and get the system ready to race. This sets the two theories at odds. I for one would not want to race with cold muscles. Again, I'm no physio expert but this seems like a hinky idea. After the run, ice baths have helped me but man they are brutal. A true HTFU moment. Hurts so good you know - to take a phrase from a fellow Hoosier. I would challenge the coach to prove his point via examples or a full explanation of his ideas. Just because they put someone in charge doesn't mean they are the expert.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

ScheriN

I've heard of doing an ice bath the night before to rid your muscles of any swelling/inflammation due to training. Never tried it myself, but I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has.