Problem charging shuffle (Read 725 times)

Here is my iPod 2nd generation history. Recieved it for Christmas. Used it 2 days after Christmas. It lasted 45 minutes. Dead as a doornail. Picked up a replacement. This one lasted 5-6 weeks but got funky on a long run and never seemed to charge properly or even shut off. Then it died. Or at least it never charged again. The light would be orange all night (during recharge) and the iTunes would not recognize the iPod anymore. Picked up another replacement 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I think I let them get too cold. I heard they must be above 35 degrees and some of my runs were below freezing.

Lazy idiot

I think I let them get too cold. I heard they must be above 35 degrees and some of my runs were below freezing.
      Oops, I've done some runs down to single digits with my shuffle, but it seems to be working fine. Maybe I'm lucky? (also, I keep it under two layers of clothes when outside, too.)

Tick tock

also, I keep it under two layers of clothes when outside, too.
        I think therin lies the difference. I always had mine exposed for song and volume control.

Lazy idiot

I think therin lies the difference. I always had mine exposed for song and volume control.
          Heh... I keep mine on the top of my pants/shorts, and to adjust song/volume it makes me look like I'm doing things I shouldn't be. All the old ladies driving around in their giant Buick's look at me like I'm a perv.

Tick tock

I wear mine clipped to my waistband, and ran all winter in as cold as 15 below zero. I have never had an issue with it and charge it about twice a week. I put it on the charger and leave it overnight. The way I sweat, if I wore it under clothing it would be like submerging it in a tub for the duration of my run...

"I aim to misbehave."

Imminent Catastrophe

Can anyone offer any useful advice? I have trouble charging my Ipod shuffle 1Gb. Shows fully charged (constant green) when I know it isn't. Sometimes just won't take any charge at all. Should I just return the damn thing? Or is there something I'm overlooking?
              Maybe I'm missing something. Has it actually quit on you? Mine always shows green, no matter how long I've used it. But it has never quit on me, I plug it in now and then and it's fine. If you're concerned you can plug it into the charger (not the computer, the plug-in charger). If it hasn't quit on you it's probably OK.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Maybe it isn't your iPod, maybe its your charger?
                  Another thought is that the USB port you are charging it with may be turning off. Not all USB ports are constantly powered. Some of them turn off power after a short amount of time. This would give you a green light but not fully charge the battery. Other than that, I am with Perfessor, if it's still playing it doesn't sound broken.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another thought is that the USB port you are charging it with may be turning off. Not all USB ports are constantly powered. Some of them turn off power after a short amount of time.
                    Interesting. I have a hub that randomly seems to disconnect ports. I wonder if this is the problem. Drives me bonkers when I have to start rearranging plugs to connect things.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Maybe I'm missing something. Has it actually quit on you? Mine always shows green, no matter how long I've used it. But it has never quit on me, I plug it in now and then and it's fine. If you're concerned you can plug it into the charger (not the computer, the plug-in charger). If it hasn't quit on you it's probably OK.
                      Sorry - should have explained better - yes. It shows green then quits after 15 mins of running. A bit depressing 15 mins into a 20 mile run on the dreadmill.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Spoke to Apple this morning. They have sent a replacement shuffle to me - courier. I just have to pop my broken one in the same package that the new one arrives in, hand it back to the delivery guy. That is some service. Seriously impressed. Just hope the next one doesn't develop the same problem as the last two.

my update: 3rd one went dead. I will be back to get my 4th under the warranty. If I had stock in Apple I would sell. At this rate I will be going through about 15 iPods on the original $45 purchase during the 12-month warranty period. That does not look good for their product. The only possible cause this time was it got too much sweat on it. This one lasted less than 2 weeks.

Carl A

I'm pretty happy with my Creative Zen Stone Plus. I got it new for $30. It was on sale at Toys R Us when I went to get some Legos as a birthday present for one of my sons. It has 2 gigs, a radio, and a microphone for recording. It survived being left exposed in the back of my pickup while I drove in a blizzard for six hours after a January 50K. A fresh charge lasts for a few outings, maybe something like six or eight hours total.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

If Apple would take the new voice feature from the third gen shuffle and put it into the 2nd gen life would be good. I have both versions and I too prefer the control on the ipod itself as opposed to being on the headphones but the thing is so small there really is no room for controls on the shuffle itself. The other thing about the new one is that it is so small I know I am going to lose it quickly, it is tiny. But, the plus side is that I set up playlists for artists and in some cases albums and it is nice to be able to listen to the list of playlists until the one desired is found. As far as the headphones go, the standard apple headphones won't stay in but my apple in-ear headphones do and the new ones have the controls on them plus they have a built in mic if I want to use them with my iPhone. Interestingly, the volume controls on the new in-ear headphones do not work with the iPhone but at least the mic does. They are seemingly dropping the ball lately on some of their integration. Lastly, the clip on the 2nd gen shuffle is better than the 3rd gen but both are ok. In reality, all shuffles have their flaws and there are other options that offer visual displays and yet maintain the small size. The little Sandisk Sansa even has an FM radio built into it. The only draw back to this one is that the clip is not good at all. (oh, and it does not go through the wash well).
                              Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's