Thinking of getting a coach (Read 271 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Isn't there a danger of some muscle/fascia groups making up for disproportionately weak ones, though?  The example that I remember reading about is the hamstrings taking on more stress than they should do to weak/inactive glutes.  This example was of a very experienced, fairly quick runner, as I recall, who had been plagued with hamstring pain for some years.  Granted, I haven't been experiencing anything like that (a few nagging pains here and there, nothing major), but I've always been interested in having someone more knowledgeable than me watch me run to see if there is anything I need to address, through strength training or whatever.

MTA: I'm not trying to be obtuse, just trying to understand why I should avoid talking to this guy if his advice is free and I can take it with a grain of salt.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

npaden

No.

First of all ask him define efficient vs. inefficient. Then ask him how he can know what's most efficient for every individual's unique bio-mechanics.

I got beat in my last race by a dude running on his tiptoes in sandals who ran a 6:28 avg pace on a 5 mile race.  He was in the Clydesdale division with lots of muscle and little fat so I think no one gave him too much grief on his running form.

I get beat regularly by this guy who isn't in my division but has this weird shuffling gait where I think his feet travel farther side to side than they do up and down.  He must run by himself a lot, because if you tried to run beside him I think he would trip you with his gait.

Could either of those guys run faster if they changed their running form?  Maybe.  I know the guy with the weird side shuffle gait has been running a long time injury free though.  I sure would hate to try to mess with my form and end up injured or something.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

Mab, how long have you been running anyway?

If less than two years I'd guess you are going to continue to improve anyway. Of course, your coach will take credit for that.

Feeling the growl again

Isn't there a danger of some muscle/fascia groups making up for disproportionately weak ones, though?  The example that I remember reading about is the hamstrings taking on more stress than they should do to weak/inactive glutes.  This example was of a very experienced, fairly quick runner, as I recall, who had been plagued with hamstring pain for some years.  Granted, I haven't been experiencing anything like that (a few nagging pains here and there, nothing major), but I've always been interested in having someone more knowledgeable than me watch me run to see if there is anything I need to address, through strength training or whatever.

MTA: I'm not trying to be obtuse, just trying to understand why I should avoid talking to this guy if his advice is free and I can take it with a grain of salt.

There is a risk of imbalances developing, which can manifest themselves as changes in your form, and lead to injury.  I lost most of last year to such a thing.  But the solution is NOT to mess with your form (the symptom).  It is to work on core strength (cause) and, sometimes, flexibility (like hip flexors if you have a desk job).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I got beat in my last race by a dude running on his tiptoes in sandals who ran a 6:28 avg pace on a 5 mile race.  He was in the Clydesdale division with lots of muscle and little fat so I think no one gave him too much grief on his running form.

I get beat regularly by this guy who isn't in my division but has this weird shuffling gait where I think his feet travel farther side to side than they do up and down.  He must run by himself a lot, because if you tried to run beside him I think he would trip you with his gait.

Could either of those guys run faster if they changed their running form?  Maybe.  I know the guy with the weird side shuffle gait has been running a long time injury free though.  I sure would hate to try to mess with my form and end up injured or something.

True, you may have answered my question even though you were typing your post at the same time!  But like I say, I've learned to take advice on form and training from books and internet people with a grain of salt and listen to my body, I think I could do it in person, too.

That said...it's worth noting, I wouldn't say I feel completely comfortable in my form as-is.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.  The credit should go to Trent, but I'll take the credit and the cash.  A check would be OK too, I'll PM my address to ya.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Mab, how long have you been running anyway?

If less than two years I'd guess you are going to continue to improve anyway. Of course, your coach will take credit for that.

I actually found the receipt for my first pair of "real" running shoes (Adrenaline 10) the other day.  Not that that means I "started" running at that point, but it was 2010.  I seem to recall, I was running for some months before that in my JC Penney-edition Reeboks.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

There is a risk of imbalances developing, which can manifest themselves as changes in your form, and lead to injury.  I lost most of last year to such a thing.  But the solution is NOT to mess with your form (the symptom).  It is to work on core strength (cause) and, sometimes, flexibility (like hip flexors if you have a desk job).

Right, and that's what interests me.  If he looks at me and, I don't know, there's something about my posture or the way my foot lands that indicates a problem, I know not to start trying to run while holding my back a certain way or make my foot strike differently, but I would be interested in hearing input on certain muscle groups that might need more attention in strength training.

Nothing wrong with Reeboks. I think Meb wears those.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

But the solution is NOT to mess with your form (the symptom).  It is to work on core strength (cause) and, sometimes, flexibility (like hip flexors if you have a desk job).

This.

It sounds like this guy is a good salesman.  He's tapping into what his clients think they need. I too long for someone to Stride-Doctor me.  But I think it's a bunch of hokem science.  As others have pointed out, there are lots of elite athletes with terrible form.  Heck, Jeptoo looks like Dr. Frankenstein was drunk while reading the Lego directions.  Might as well run like a T-Rex.

Personally, I think form is the last thing a good and honest coach will want to talk to you about.

Now, if his approach is this: he watches you run and then gives you a list of bodyweight and core exercises to do, without mentioning any form modifications, then he might be some good to the running community.  If he tells you to lean forward for a midfoot stride, stop swinging your arms across your center-line, and take shorter strides toward X/minute.  Then you know he has a Runners' World subscription, and that's about it.

Bad free advice can be very expensive in the long run.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Running nerds everywhere know what kind of shoes that Meb wears.  Hint:  it's not Reeboks.

Nothing wrong with Reeboks. I think Meb wears those.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

This.

It sounds like this guy is a good salesman.  He's tapping into what his clients think they need. I too long for someone to Stride-Doctor me.  But I think it's a bunch of hokem science.  As others have pointed out, there are lots of elite athletes with terrible form.  Heck, Jeptoo looks like Dr. Frankenstein was drunk while reading the Lego directions.  Might as well run like a T-Rex.

Personally, I think form is the last thing a good and honest coach will want to talk to you about.

Now, if his approach is this: he watches you run and then gives you a list of bodyweight and core exercises to do, without mentioning any form modifications, then he might be some good to the running community.  If he tells you to lean forward for a midfoot stride, stop swinging your arms across your center-line, and take shorter strides toward X/minute.  Then you know he has a Runners' World subscription, and that's about it.

Bad free advice can be very expensive in the long run.

Right, but he's not selling me anything.  And the gait analysis was in fact the last thing we talked about.  Point well made and taken about bad free advice, though.

LOL on Jeptoo's form!  MTA: and thanks for that link.  That was really interesting.

mikeymike

just trying to understand why I should avoid talking to this guy if his advice is free and I can take it with a grain of salt.

I have no opinion on whether you should take the guy's advice or not.

I was just disagreeing with the statement that "an inefficient stride is an inefficient stride." Every runner's mechanics are unique and anyway efficient / inefficient is not a binary condition.

Runners run