Running the opposite way on a track (Read 1221 times)

~Gordo~

So I went to do my speed-work at the middle school track. Nobody was there so I figured I would I try this running the opposite way thing. Low and behold, my watch started running backwards...go figure. Big grin
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
    dprimrocka777

u can get injures, usually hip or knee from constantly turning in the same direction. its not rude, rather smart
      TJoseph

I think there is more danger of knee problem from road camber than from running on a track counter clockwise. Tracks have never bothered me and I always run counter clockwise on a track. Tom
        Tenacious

Moving right along....

When absolutely necessary....I run on an inside track at my gym. It takes 10 laps to make a mile--it's very tight-so yep, I turn every mile and run the opposite direction if there is no one, or maybe one person on the track with me. It helps my hips and knees. Most amusing though.....I love to piss off the uptight people who just can't stand the thought of breaking the rules and going opposite of anything. Wow people, get a grip!! There are more important things to worry about than someone who is not going the same direction on a track as you are!
          By failing to prepare, you are prepairing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

Lazy idiot

When absolutely necessary....I run on an inside track at my gym. It takes 10 laps to make a mile--it's very tight-so yep, I turn every mile and run the opposite direction if there is no one, or maybe one person on the track with me. It helps my hips and knees. Most amusing though.....I love to piss off the uptight people who just can't stand the thought of breaking the rules and going opposite of anything. Wow people, get a grip!! There are more important things to worry about than someone who is not going the same direction on a track as you are!
            As long as the track is wide enough to accomodate everyone, I think this is fine. At my local YMCA, they have a 1/17th mile track, with posted direction based on the day. It is approximately 4' wide. So even going in the proper direction is a bit problematic, let alone adding in the fun of going against the grain.

Tick tock

Symmetrics! Ultra track runners will tell you that running the same direction can imbalance your skeletal system. Running on the shoulder of the road without returning on the the same side will do the same.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But, the coriolis effect means you go faster running the correct direction -- depending which hemisphere you're in...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Get back up!

The people who walk side by side taking up all 6 lanes blow my mind. Not only is it incredibly rude, but its like sitting at the counter at the diner with a group of friends. There's no way the people on the ends can have a conversation with each other. 2 rows of people 3 across makes much more sense conversationally. Not to mention, stops you from being an inconsiderate jerk.
                  Live your heart and never follow.
                  mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Explicit directions do not need to be posted. You drive on the right side of the street (in the US) whether there's a sign saying so or not. It's the same with the direction on the track. I think we all pretty much agree. You go counter-clockwise. If you want, you can go clockwise, but only if you're not inconveniencing people running counter-clockwise.
                    Do Brits run in the clockwise direction (since they drive on the left)? Or do people from the southern hemisphere run clockwise? (Seriously - I'm interested in the differences in running conventions around the world)
                      I had hip problems in high school and my doctor said it was from running the same direction around the track so much, so I started switching up my direction a bit and it did help. I don't know how common of a problem that is, though. I would also never run the opposite direction if the track was crowded or I was getting in people's way. Sometimes it's just not feasible, and one run going entirely in the same direction certainly isn't going to kill me.