Pepper Spray (Read 882 times)

Princess Cancer Pants

Question for those who use it or know much about it, is there a particular source or form of canister you recommend? I have seen keychain models as well as ones with velcro straps that can be attached to the wrist or hand. I'm thinking pepper spray might be a good idea to have now that my runs are getting further from home and sometimes in somewhat desolate areas for a mile or two here and there. The ones with velcro seem like they would be easier to use, but I already have to carry my housekeys during my weekday AM runs, so maybe the keychain one might be more useful (though I try to stow my keys in a zippered pocket whenever possible, so the wrist option looks more useable, again). k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

K This is the one I carry to repel dogs when I am running in the country (farmland) to repel over protective dogs. It's called "muzzle" appropriately but I would imagine it would be effective on humans as well. I bought it at a running store and it has a sturdy clip that you can clip to your waistband or camelbak and I doesn't effect my running at all. I have had one occation to use it and it works! Dave Dave
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      vicentefrijole

. I have had one occation to use it and it works!
        That sounds like a story! Spill it! Evil grin
          I was out on a long run in an untested country side roadand I spotted a german sheppard on a long farm lane barking furiously at me. I guess he had never seen a runner b4. He came charging down the lane in a beeline straight for me tail low and teeth bared. Don't get me wrong I do like dogs but it was either take a bite to the leg or worse or spray the dog. I yelled as loud as I could in an effort to scare the dog and hopefully the owner would call him off. He still kept coming at me obviously thinking I was a threat so I sprayed him at about 5 feet away. To my surprise I got his eyes and he started yelping. I was surprised at how far the spray will go (about 10 feet fairly accurately. I just continued running and the dog backed off but continued to bark at me until I was out of site.Needless to say I carried the spray in my hands the rest of the way home and I never go by that farmhouse any more. Dave
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            I use the one with the velcro strap, but thankfully have not had to use it yet. I got the one with velcro because I want it to be available immediately if I need it - don't want to be trying to pull it out of a pocket or something.

Princess Cancer Pants

I got the one with velcro because I want it to be available immediately if I need it - don't want to be trying to pull it out of a pocket or something.
              I was kind of thinking that that feature might be the most useful in the event that I need to use it, as well. k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

I think you need to rent a ferocious doberman pincer to go running with you. Surely there's a rent-a-dog somewhere around here... I'm guessing you're thinking of this more for protection against two legged "dogs" than the four legged variety...

Roads were made for journeys...

Princess Cancer Pants

I think you need to rent a ferocious doberman pincer to go running with you. Surely there's a rent-a-dog somewhere around here... I'm guessing you're thinking of this more for protection against two legged "dogs" than the four legged variety...
                  Either/both (I've had a few dogs make me nervous on runs). Our neighbor lady has the sweetest German Shepherd. He's over a year and full-grown, but is smaller than most female GSs (she said he was the runt of the litter). Sweet, gentle, quiet dog--doesn't at all fit the stereotype. Though I have a feeling he couldn't do 10+ miles without wanting a nap. He's a pretty lazy guy, LOL! Someday I definitely would like a dog, though. Always had dogs as a kid, but cats have been easier until we bought a house. Once our current kitties are all gone I would love to get a puppy and kitten to grow up together. k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

~ Unknown

Cntrygal

I can't comment on the pepper spray - but if you don't have a pocket available for your key... tie it into the lace of one of your shoes. Smile
                      I know this is an old post, but was just talking with my husband about pepper spray! I'm in the market since we won't be able to go together every time. I wonder if Muzzle is the same stuff as you'd buy for people and it's just a marketing technique, or is it really made differently for dogs? Maybe I'd want something milder, though. My luck, the wind would blow it back on me the day a dog/ person attacked! K, I used to carry my keys, then I went to tying them (double knotted) on my shoes like Cntrygal suggested. After that, I realized, why not just hide the key somewhere around the outside of the house and not carry it at all!? It was a little thing, but I never had to worry if I dropped it, if it slipped off my laces (happened before), etc.! Smile
                      Cntrygal

Sockoni - I was paranoid about losing my key from my laces too... so what I do is actually unlace the shoe one hole, thread the key onto the lace then lace it back thru the top holes and then tie (double knot too LOL).