Did racing flats improve your time? (Read 1333 times)

obsessor

I train and race in Adizeros and NB RC 750s. I don't think that the weight makes them faster; I think they're faster because their shape and structure allows for better form. You're less likely to heel-strike in flats and your stride rate is generally higher.
    I'll agree with that, but if pressed to put a number to it, for me, I'd guess -1sec/mi. per 1/2oz. per shoe. It's worth it. But if you pound too hard, you can negate the effect when it comes to the marathon. If you pound the heck out of your legs,and break form, you will not be able to capitalize on the racing flat advantage. Personally, in my best marathon last year I ran in Nike air zoom vapor V's (going from memory, here - that could be wrong.) - about 5.3 oz. ea. No socks. Same setup for TCM last year. But the shoes were shot anyhow so I should not have tried it. Anhow, a bloody mess at the finish, and disgusted with the 2:46, the shoes did not make it past the finishing chute dumpster.
      ...and NB RC 750s.
      These are $35.99 at RRS right now. I'm thinking of grabbing a pair. At that price I almost can't afford not to. Crap in the time it took me to post this their gone in a 9.5. Teaches me to share a good deal with you people Evil grin

Runners run

I found i could run about 35-50 seconds faster over 10k in racing flats ie non flats 31 racing flats 30:30 or better. The only things faster would be track spikes. Cheers
          anybody familiar with these: adizero rc2 intl got em for like $30 at marshalls. who knows why they were there. very light. i weigh 150-155 and hope to wear them for boston, if the consensus is i'm not too heavy (i have no idea what the heck magazines mean by terms heavy and light runners. i'd imagine Kenyans are light though.) i'll take any edge (legal) i can get on top of training. if not, well, i'll wear them in shorter distances.
            Your not necessarily too heavy--I weigh the same as you and I've run marathons in flats. It's kind of an individual thing. I'm probably running Boston in the Adizero RC's too. I just got a pair. I'll try them on some longer runs and races and if they feel good, wear them at Boston.

Runners run

are they mainly green with red and yellow?
                Looks like I'm heading to Marshall's tomorrow... doubt they'll have them here but it's worth a shot. Big grin
                  Looks like I'm heading to Marshall's tomorrow... doubt they'll have them here but it's worth a shot. Big grin
                  Went to Marshall's yesterday. They didn't have any flats, but they did have a bunch of other nice running shoes for CHEAP. Going back today to get a pair of NB 790 trail shoes for $30. They also had a few pairs of Adidas Supernova Cushions.
                    I've gotten tons of tech shirts and pants at Marshalls. Check activewear and, my favorite, clearance sections. Full price is for suckas.