2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

cinnamon girl

I miss Amuse. I wish him well. I liked his training and respected his input - when he said something it had meaning.

DPS: congrats and thanks for the beautiful pic. I hardly remember any of those days.

Dave: solid

Good to see you JT! I had been wondering, worrying! RA can't afford to lose any nice folks! I am seriously considering a transition to an early morning runner    I've never done it but I think I will give it a try. I have a Monday through Friday day job as of March so no longer going to bed 2-3 in the morning. Little traffic and having the roads to oneself has got to be the biggest bonus. Good week of easy miles for you. Smile

Official notice received in email last week that Berlin won't be rescheduled for later in the year. I definitely wasn't expecting it and I transferred my entry to 2021.

M: 9.3 w/9 x 1 min hills – up, down, flats. 90 deg/15+ mph wind
    T: 8 easy. 95 deg/15+ mph wind
    W: off 
    T: 10 w/6 MP to last ½ mi 10k effort. 84 deg/15+ mph wind
    F: 8 easy 20+ mph wind
    S: 18 easy with pick up last 2 mi (got an 'early' start to beat the wind)
    S: 9 easy 20+mph wind

Not to complain, but I fucking hate wind every day.

CalBears

I’m thinking it’s even better than Breaking Bad....Tuco and Chicken Man are my favourite characters in Breaking Bad.

Does Chicken Man appear from series 3 onwards?.....please say yes!!!

Watched first 10 minutes of episode 1 - didn't get hooked - maybe next time, when I have time to waste... Similar to Breaking Bad - few years ago I heard how great it is, I watched the whole 1st episode - it was disgusting, I am not ideal person but I cannot be compassionate to a drug dealer, whatever his motives are, even if all he does is taking care of his family - he definitely doesn't take care of all the others families. Unbelievable country, unbelievable times - almost all main current "heroes" are actual anti-heroes, used to be other way around. I am not surprised then why whatever is happening in this country is happening - it's doesn't come from nowhere.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Resident Historian

41 miles last week, a good recovery from the previous 2 weeks running limited by dental pain. Good runs all week, including a strong progression and some strides.
        The only problem: I walked it in from Sunday's long run (supposed to be 12 mi) at a little over 10, with apparently a strained hip adductor (groin muscle).  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! 
        From prior experience, it can take a while (1-2 weeks) to get going again. It's not too painful or swollen, so I may get off lightly. Sigh! The chance of getting a September BQ is slipping away with each lost week. But if I can get some decent long runs, I think I can find a remote small race...

Mikkey I'm surprised you're as optimistic about London going off this year. But you're a lot closer to see how it's going. Did Brighton get that beach "major incident" crowding? (I saw a story on Bournemouth and area)  I both think London matters for Americans; I doubt Europe and UK will let anyone in by then (or if they do, they'll require 14 days quarantine in a hotel room -- not exactly a great taper).
        I suspect California will take a lot longer before we get any racing.
        Cal
        I also like your idea of dropping off the 100-mile level for 4-6 weeks to see how the base miles have helped at shorter distances. I talk to A muse on FB from time-to-time, but I have no idea if he's running (not racing afaik). I'll pass along the query. 

jhudak
          Nice week, especially recovering from the hamstring. For strides, your version sounds about right, but the key is to stay relaxed at the faster speeds. No strain, no changing form to sprint mode, just quick leg turnover, relaxed shoulders, and a tall posture. Don't hold top speed for too long, maybe 10-20m at most. 

DavePNW  Well done on the 300 miles/month for 3 months! I agree, there's a real difference between 60-65 and 70 mpw, especially if you haven't been at 70 a lot before. I found I could maintain 70+ for a few weeks, but then it got too hard to maintain all aspects of running (from short speed to speed endurance). 

darkwave -- Enjoy the break in mileage for the shorter distances! Good plan before restarting the marathon push. 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey I'm surprised you're as optimistic about London going off this year. But you're a lot closer to see how it's going. Did Brighton get that beach "major incident" crowding? (I saw a story on Bournemouth and area)  I both think London matters for Americans; I doubt Europe and UK will let anyone in by then (or if they do, they'll require 14 days quarantine in a hotel room -- not exactly a great taper).
          I suspect California will take a lot longer before we get any racing.

I think they’re relaxing the 14 day quarantine next week for European countries and Canada, but not US yet. Yeah the “major incident” was Bournemouth beach, although Brighton is always packed in the summer as it’s only a 50min train journey from London!  Our pubs and restaurants are opening up this Saturday, social distancing is down to 1+ meter and masks are only compulsory on public transport. What could possibly go wrong!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think they’re relaxing the 14 day quarantine next week for European countries and Canada, but not US yet. Yeah the “major incident” was Bournemouth beach, although Brighton is always packed in the summer as it’s only a 50min train journey from London!  Our pubs and restaurants are opening up this Saturday, social distancing is down to 1+ meter and masks are only compulsory on public transport. What could possibly go wrong!

Wrong thread.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Similar to Breaking Bad - few years ago I heard how great it is, I watched the whole 1st episode - it was disgusting, I am not ideal person but I cannot be compassionate to a drug dealer, whatever his motives are, even if all he does is taking care of his family - he definitely doesn't take care of all the others families. Unbelievable country, unbelievable times - almost all main current "heroes" are actual anti-heroes, used to be other way around. I am not surprised then why whatever is happening in this country is happening - it's doesn't come from nowhere.

Having actually watched the series, I can tell you that Walter White is not portrayed as a hero.

Dave

CalBears

Having actually watched the series, I can tell you that Walter White is not portrayed as a hero.

Yes, I didn't watch the series because I could not stand it after episode one. But my wife watched it 3 times and I got tired to hear how all he did was actually caring about his family, etc... Yes, she may not be right, I understand - but so might be millions of other people, they show anti-heroes and then they suddenly become less anti-heroes, you find excuses and positives about them kind of "forgetting" the main line. The fact you watched the whole series and was entertained tells a lot. The fact that the series is extremely popular, tells a lot. That's basically all I need to know without wasting time which we don't have enough for more important things. But the fact that more and more TV shows tell you the stories about criminals (I saw the explosion of those during last several years), not about people on the other side of the law (how boring, right?) should tell you everything you need to know where we are going. That is so sad and scary. Ok, I am not starting the other more important, controversial and leading to getting banned/fired topic. US is not a country where you can say what you think anymore - just like the country I came from .

US is not a country where you can say what you think anymore - just like the country I came from .

Under what circumstances are you not allowed to say what you think?

Dave

CalBears

Under what circumstances are you not allowed to say what you think?

Sorry Dave, I am not going there - if you don't see what is happening around when you are punished for everything you say that is not in the latest trend, then I am not the one to enlighten.

Back to running talk.

jhudak - the way I was always doing strides (and I definitely do not do them enough) is during an easy run, I might do 2 sets of 6-8 strides during the whole run - I accelerate for 20 seconds and then might go for half a mile before I do next - yes, I know it may not be the best way but I really do not care much about being "too right" - I just care about reminding the body/brain about very quick running.

JTR - great to have you back! Though I totally understand why people are so much less active - hard to be engaged when nothing is happening race-wise. Running four 26 milers during the week was actually surprisingly easy - somehow having 44 hours between runs made it no big deal. I might be paying the price for it next week as I felt so down. The tiredness/freshness goes up and down in waves, but nothing too much different from a regular training with workouts and lesser mileage. In my case I can always regulate effort by going very very slow - 10:30 pace anyone? I sleep on average 5 hours a night (I know DPS will be shocked as he was making "excuses" some time back with his 5 hours sleep for a few days Smile - but for me it became regular starting few years ago I think as I got older and older). I do not take naps - I can, but mostly because I ate or because I was listening to some long presentation. Energy level is fine - despite running this mileage I managed to gain couple of pounds . Some days I have this desire of not going out in the morning, but again, it's no different from being on a lower mileage Smile

DavePNW - June will be my fourth month in a row with at least 430 miles. I have never done that before, though I thought I was running plenty of miles before. I am sluggish and tired maybe days in the week - some weeks are better than others, but you cannot feel fresh running high mileage - if you feel fresh you are not running enough probably, right? Just hang in there - I do not think, there is any explanation when you feel fresher and you feel sluggish, though I noticed that for me it usually goes one day sluggish one day fresher, or two days sluggish and one day fresher - never had two days fresher and one day sluggish Smile

Longboat - your experience is very interesting for me. I only didn't care for 40-50 y olds when I was 20-30 - now, when I am 55. I am so curious what is going to happen physically, will I be able to continue running and to what degree? Very interesting. Yes, I am planning on lowering the mileage in next 2-3 weeks and then doing 4-6 weeks with 1-2 speedier workouts per week. Didn't decide what to do yet, for now thinking about 5K stuff, but have time to think. If anybody has any suggestions, you are so welcome. 

Today I ran another "kind of workout" - 10 miles at elevated HR of 150 bpm. Previously on my usual course with 6 miles slight downhill and then back 6 miles with slight uphill I had paces ranging from 6:45 to 7:40 at the same HR. I was blaming downhill/uphill nature of the course of course. Today I decided to change the place where I run it and ran approximately 16 loops, 0.67 miles each hoping to have much steadier pacing - but I was wrong, I am still fading - even on the loop course, even with the freaking high mileage I am running for 16 freaking weeks... I divided 10 miles by four 2.5 miles spans and ran them at 7:01, 7:16, 7:17 and 7:33 !!!. Have no explanation for such a drastic fade at the same HR - 150 bpm is way lower than my lactate threshold and my aerobic system supposed to be in a great shape after all those big weeks. Puzzled...

Never did watch Breaking Bad or Call Saul; we are currently watching Stargate SG-1 for maybe the 5th time in the last 8-10 years. I just love that series and the follow-up Stargate Atlantis. If you're into that kind of stuff (space sci-fi) it's pretty good. Anyway about 15 years worth of episodes between the two series so will keep us busy for a while.

Cinnamon: It's good to be back! Nice week; you're getting in some pretty good mileage and nice quality as usual. Wind and super hot?! That sucks. It sounds even worse that hot and humid like we have now in the northeast. Morning running...I was rewarded this morning by seeing a beautiful black bear, walking down the dirt road in front of me. Just that bear, a bunch of deer, and no humans; nice way to start the day.

Mikkey: That's an impressive streak and definitely one worth keeping going! I really hope London happens.

Longboat: Nice week. I hope your groin issue heals quickly. What time do you need to get for the BQ?

Cal: Only 5 hours sleep a night?!!  Wow. I tend to need much more, though seems I can never get it. I also meant to ask you about appetite differences now versus when you run much less mileage; do you seem to be eating a lot more? I guess if you gained slightly you must be eating enough. Even when my mileage got just to around 80/week, I was eating a lot and hungry all the time. At 100 miles/week I would probably do laps through the Taco Bell drive-through all day (just joking...a bit).

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Hey all, sorry I kinda stopped posting my weeklies in here since there's not a lot of marathon racing going on around the world right now and it seems like there isn't a lot of weekly posting here apart from a select few.  Also conscious that we're very lucky here in New Zealand that races are - at least for now - able to start up again, so I'm trying not to brag about that given that many places aren't even able to contemplate that yet.

With darkwave, Cal, Mikkey, DPS, Longboat and JMac over on the sub-1:30 thread I'm still getting some helpful pointers on there (and occasional amusing jibes about downhill races, for the record I have only ever run ONE race that had a net downhill).  Plus, I don't feel as bad talking about upcoming races when that thread also has a bunch of other NZers on there like Steve, Watson and Piwi.

Having said that, I will keep an eye on things over here and probably drop by from time to time, especially given the likes of JTReeves, Cinnamon and a few others that don't frequent the sub-1:30 thread.

Also, I have no idea how Cal manages on 5 hours of sleep! (I'm actually rather envious)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

US is not a country where you can say what you think anymore - just like the country I came from .

Nah, in your old country the govt arrested you or worse for saying things.  Here, you can just be branded a jerk by the public.  And really, that's always been true since day one, here.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

CalBears

Nah, in your old country the govt arrested you or worse for saying things.  Here, you can just be branded a jerk by the public.  And really, that's always been true since day one, here.

Nah, what you referring to was long long time ago - in 1930s-1950s, under Comrade Stalin. I grew up in 70s and 80s where we quite freely were discussing everything and everybody - that stuff was usually happening in a kitchen because none of the discussions were happening without vodka. None of my friends or whoever I knew never got arrested (or worse) or lost their job because of those talks (actually, funny enough it was a crime to be unemployed in Soviet Union - everybody had a job Smile. Yes, if I would start to talk publicly about it, things would probably change but getting an audience those days was only possible for very famous people.

What is happening here is pretty scary because everything gets documented/known very quickly, sometimes in real time. A friend of my friends (Russian) in New York was offered to quit her job as a manager in Gucci store after she didn't kneel you know for what (some boss suggested to do that for everybody and everybody, just like in old Soviet Union times did what they "offered" to do. She is from Russia, she doesn't have any memory of being a slave master, she has nothing to be sorry about. Btw, Russia had a lawful slavery until 1861 - yes, white people owned white people.

Also, not US but England - ask that guy who flew over the football field in Burnley couple of weeks ago with his view of the matter - why he was fired just for expressing his point of view? Why?

Anyway, yes, you won't be arrested here, I agree, but I do not know - losing a job in this environment, when everything is on Facebook or Youtube, when you are the only one earning income in a family of four, that might be not better than being arrested. Just marked as a jerk? Do not think so - and things are going in a wrong direction pretty rapidly.

CalBears

Also, I have no idea how Cal manages on 5 hours of sleep! (I'm actually rather envious)

Marky - I think it just during last 2 years that I would sleep for 5 or so hours and then just woke up. Before that I was sleeping like a normal person - I needed 7-8 hours of sleep minimum to feel normal during a day. You feel envious? Don't be - you are like what - 20 years younger? Your time might come . When I was a teenager, I was always wondering how my mom would wake up by herself, at 5am, without an alarm. Now I know 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - I can't even respond to what you wrote, afraid to put my thoughts in writing 

I will say Cal your training has inspired me a bit. I will never run anything like you are running mileage-wise, but if we do run Boston, I'm getting a little scared about how bad of a shape I'm in and how good of a shape you will be in.

Let's just hope they get this damn vaccine done by end of winter!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)