Sub 2 Half and new terminology (Read 176 times)

djr3

I think I invented a new term from my 3M Half marathon last weekend... It was my third half ever and at age 56 I was delighted to be able to get below 2 hours on a cold breezy morning in Austin. I ended up at 1:57. 

Most of you are aware of the term "getting chicked" when a woman passes or beats you. Well, I was coming up on a guy who was definitely struggling around mile 9. You know the way that looks in running form. Like me you've probably felt it plenty of times. But he looked over at me as I started to pass him and he immediately picked up his pace and took off. I could almost hear him think... "That old guy isn't gonna pass me..."  I actually did pass him when he ran out of gas not that much farther down the road. 

He'd been "greyed."

Dan

an amazing likeness

Congrats on your 1:57. Nice. Next up, 1:55.

Personally, I find the whole concept around 'getting chicked' offensive and obnoxious. The person who passed you is a runner, what's gender got to do with it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

He'd been "greyed."

This is awesome!  Love the concept and frankly I find the "chicked" and "greyed" terminology funny.  Good job.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Half Fanatic #846

I've been chicked (don't mind), greyed (once in awhile), and whipper-snappered (too often) ... but what's the term for some idiot that turns to you as he passes and trys to make sure you're not in his age group???

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I also get "strollered" sometimes (usually in 5K's)...it's especially embarrassing when it's one of the double-wides with two good size kids in it.

Zelanie

I got so greyed in my first 10K.  I didn't know what pace to aim for and was trying to hang onto a pair of older runners, but I lost them around the halfway point.  They finished maybe a minute ahead of me.  I think the guy won the 70+ AG!

doctorjen

I once got passed by not 1, but 2 different women pushing twins in jog strollers, one set of which could not have been more than about 5 months old, and then later in the same race, got out-sprinted to the finish by a 9 year old.  And it was a good time for me!

I am constantly amazed that you really can't tell how fast a runner is by their age, gender, shape, accessory equipment, or costume.  I don't really mind being passed by any of them and definitely tip my hat to those who look like they'd have to work so much harder than me, but are still doing it!

npaden

I got owned by a 10 year old in my last race.  A 2 miler.  He beat me by 22 seconds.  I ran a 14:55 and he ran a 14:33.

I was looking at the results from the previous year and he ran a 13:32 as a 9 year old!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

djr3

Congrats on your 1:57. Nice. Next up, 1:55.

Personally, I find the whole concept around 'getting chicked' offensive and obnoxious. The person who passed you is a runner, what's gender got to do with it.

Sorry, no offense intended.

I agree with your sentiment about how gender should be unimportant. I don't think a lot of folks are there yet. My reading of the "chicked" terminology is that it came out of the ultra world and was more of a statement of respect and acceptance of equality than a put down or macho thing. As the father of two daughters who run and who can regularly beat me, I see running as a great opportunity for them to compete and be respected for it.

Dan

Gettin' geezered.

Runners run

Julia1971

Sorry, no offense intended.

I agree with your sentiment about how gender should be unimportant. I don't think a lot of folks are there yet. My reading of the "chicked" terminology is that it came out of the ultra world and was more of a statement of respect and acceptance of equality than a put down or macho thing. As the father of two daughters who run and who can regularly beat me, I see running as a great opportunity for them to compete and be respected for it.

Dan

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend and I don't know anything about the ultra world but it seems a long way to go to say this is a sign of respect towards women.  If it were a sign of respect, it seems to me, it would be directed towards the woman flatteringly.  As in, "Wow, you really chicked that guy!"  But, it's not used that way.  It's used to tease a man about being beaten by a woman...  There's always someone faster than you.  Odds are they're older, fatter, pushing a stroller, and train less than you do.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gettin' geezered.

This.

(Delete several paragraphs where I was just stating what I think we all know - men are faster at the elite level and on average, and similarly young adults are faster at the elite level and on average than kids or than old adults.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend and I don't know anything about the ultra world but it seems a long way to go to say this is a sign of respect towards women.  If it were a sign of respect, it seems to me, it would be directed towards the woman flatteringly.  As in, "Wow, you really chicked that guy!"  But, it's not used that way.  It's used to tease a man about being beaten by a woman...  There's always someone faster than you.  Odds are they're older, fatter, pushing a stroller, and train less than you do.

That last sentence confused me - but someone has pointed out to me that it probably isn't meant literally. So.. never mind.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am not sure I fully appreciate why several of you say that the "getting chicked" expression is insulting. May I ask some questions about what you find insulting?

1. getting beat by a female ("chicked") - is this insulting to all females?
                              2. getting beat by a young kid ("whippersnappered") - is this insulting to all kids?
                              3. getting beat by an old guy ("geezered") - is this insulting to all old guys?
                              4. getting beat by someone pushing a stroller ("strollered") - is this insulting to all runners with strollers?
                              5. getting beat by someone from Kenya - is this insulting to all Kenyan runners?
                              6. getting beat by someone from US - is this insulting to all US runners?
                              7. getting beat by someone from Canada - is this insulting to all Canadian runners?

(Mod. to put slang terms in parens, and to add some nationality examples)

Runner100

What is the generally agreed age bracket for geezerdom? I'm 45 next month so trying to figure out if I'm officially a geezer or getting geezered.