Question for women runners (Read 205 times)

Pinetreerunner

Dear Female Runners,

I am worried about my breasts sagging for shrinking due to excessive running. I like how my body looks now but want to start running more because heart disease runs in my family. I want to get over my fear of how running " migjt" change how my body looks long term. Do you have any tipa to help me get over this fear, that I admit might be a bit irrational?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe I shouldn't jump in here since this is directed at women, but in my opinion, anybody who runs becomes more attractive due to their improved fitness.

GinnyinPA

If you lose much weight, you might lose some of your breasts. They are primarily fat, so usually get smaller when you get smaller. It depends on where your body stores its fat reserves.

runnin gal

I'm not sure what you mean by excessive running, which would have lots of negative effects. If you're just talking about increasing your mileage or frequency of runs, then as the prev reply stated losing a lot of body fat could affect breast size. Wearing a supportive bra that prevents lots of bouncing should prevent sagging.  Adding some upper body work would improve muscle tone and appearance also.

taylorful

The only way your breasts would change is if you lose weight. You can't control how your body loses fat, which breasts are primarily made of. If you don't want to lose weight, eat more to negate the fat loss.

Brilliant

The only way your breasts would change is if you lose weight. You can't control how your body loses fat, which breasts are primarily made of. If you don't want to lose weight, eat more to negate the fat loss.

+1

I ran for 7 years and actually gained weight & fat. Then last year I decided I wanted to actually get healthy so switched up my diet to mostly fruit/veg/whole grains/legumes.  I lost 29 pounds in a year.  Everyone says I look great but sometimes I miss my boobs. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you are going to run, the only thing to worry about with your chest is making sure you are wearing a good sports bra for support. Not everyone loses weight from running. You can't predict how your body will respond.

As for excessive running, you need to quantify what you mean. This board has women running 10 miles a week up to 100 miles a week. What you think of as excessive running may not be enough to change your body.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

If you are going to run, the only thing to worry about with your chest is making sure you are wearing a good sports bra for support. Not everyone loses weight from running. You can't predict how your body will respond.

I agree with this.  Also, your breast size is correlated to estrogen levels as well.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And losing weight can actually put you in a larger cup size, if you lose through the band, but not your boobs. Welcome to the world of super dense breasts (and 3D mammograms)! Spending $$ on bras that both compress AND encapsulate is money well-spent. Title 9 is a good place to shop. Most of us can help recommend specific models beyond that, too (my personal favorite bras are from Wacoal and Natori).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

This reminds me of the, if I lift, I'll get too big bulky muscular...

If/when that ever happened, you simply could stop....or do less and get fatter again and back to your old self,

which as a side note is unlikely to happen, especially the bulking up part.

300m- 37 sec.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Yeah, I’ve lost and kept off 45 pounds. The only thing that changed was my band size. A great running bra is worth every penny.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                        5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Gizmo2019

I lost my boobs. I was about a D or DD most probably due to estrogen levels, 4 pregnancies and LOTS of milk. As I lost weight from running I went back to a C (but Measure wise I’m probably a B or less). but since I’m older they are sagged flat! Because they sag I needed a smaller band size to lift and squeeze them in. There’s no exact formula, trust me I spent months looking then re looking, measuring, trying on. My husband still likes them tho and I don’t have any bikini shoots scheduled. But I do miss not having free standing girls so I hear ya. For support I wear natori’s and a knix. What everyone says up there is true. Depends how fast you lose, where your body loses fat, genetics, etc.

if you’re worried about how you look clothed, there are great lifting bras out there. If youre worried about how you look naked there’s lots of doctors out there! 😉

loard

spam