ITBS? (Read 721 times)

So since my run on July 5, my right knee has been hurting on the outside, right where it feels the bones should meet, only in runs. Being a professional internet junkie and Googler, I have unprofessionally diagnosed it as ITBS as it hurts the first bit of running, doesn't hurt when I stop. Have tried to not take any vitamin I for it, but a couple of days ago it was inflamed pretty bad and was hurting, so I took a couple that day. Definitely avoiding taking it on my running days. I have not iced, as today it is actually feeling a lot better.... With that said, yesterday I did 8 mi w/ 4 mi tempo in the middle. First two miles were at 8:45 pace, and the knee was tender. The middle 4 were at 7:40 pace and the pain subsided. The final 2 were back at 8:45 and suddenly the knee didn't hurt to end. Today, I feel a small bit of pain whenever I've been sitting a while and then straighten out my leg, but pain is almost an overstatement...it feels well. Would my tempo run yesterday help whatever is causing the pain? I've experienced the same knee pain before, and clearly remember coming out of the gate faster, and then the pain subsiding....the last time this happened was a year and a half ago. Just wondering if there is a reason my knee suddenly feels better. Also would love to know if the symptoms I have described are typical of ITBS, or if I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon... Wink
    zzz

OK I have to ask... is vitamin I Ibuprofin? too funny if that is what it is...' why are you trying not to take it on the days you run? i am pretty much a noob here so I have to ask. I know my husband says if you take Ibuprofen after he lifts weights the results aren't as great as without.... would that also be true of running? great job btw.... i love our youth pastor!! he's taking the teens to jamaica next sunday on a missions trip....
        Vitamin I is bad for the kidneys. Search the forums about ibuprofen and youll find a lot of info on it.
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

why are you trying not to take it on the days you run?
          Because if something is hurting during a run, you really ought to know about it sooner rather than later. Pain happens for a reason. Plus it really is bad for your kidneys, which are already working extra hard when you run. makers, your symptoms do sound like ITBS. Don't mess around with that. It's much easier to prevent (or nip in the bud) than recover from. I used to deal with recurring ITBS, it was a major annoyance. It stopped coming back when I fixed my form. As far as treatment, stretching really does make a major difference if you do it well and do it often. Focus on not only the IT band itself, but on the quads (all of them) and the calves.
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Giant Flaming Dork

So since my run on July 5, my right knee has been hurting on the outside, right where it feels the bones should meet, only in runs. Being a professional internet junkie and Googler, I have unprofessionally diagnosed it as ITBS ... Also would love to know if the symptoms I have described are typical of ITBS, or if I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon... Wink
            I was all too willing to jump on the ITBS bandwagon as well. I'd get it looked at. I self-diagnosed and treated myself for ITBS and then couldn't get the pain to stop. Went to DR and he said "ITBS, go to PT.". PT said, "Nope, not ITBS, it's hamstring (semitendinosis) tendinitis". I would never have gotten better doing ITBS stretches for this. (Although to be frank, I'm not back from this injury yet Another Physical Torture (PT) session tonight...

http://xkcd.com/621/

I too have suffered from ITBS. Only for me, it didn't matter what I was doing it hurt. I couldn't sit, stand, run, nothing because the pain was so bad. Please go get it checked out before you have more issues and end up on the IL.
              Happy Running,
              Troy
              "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

Hop45

Also, have someone look at your feet. If you are an overpronator(flat feet), that can put excessive stress on your knee. My wife c/o this and I casted her for some custom orthotics. Problem solved.