Do you carry pepper spray? (Read 815 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes, thanks! And as for the wasp story, I can relate. I once wiped out on my Rollerblades trying to bat away a sweatbee. Yeah, just one bee. Blush
    At least you had a good excuse for wiping-out...I would wipe out for absolutely no reason. Running is a much better sport for me--it requires a lot less coordination! Wink BTW, BIG congrats on your nuptials! I hope your day was wonderful. Where did you honeymoon? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...anyone ever used this? Seems that might be as useful as pepper spray in many cases, and less likely to be something an assailant could use against us. k

~ Sarah Kay

I think I'm going to have to start carrying wasp/hornet spray! Clowning around As I was going down this dirt road today, a bunch of ginormous wasps? swarmed around me as I passed through them. It seems every time I go through, there are more and more of them! I turned around after I was through them (batting my arms in all directions like a crazy person) to see if I could tell where they came from, and saw a bunch just sitting on the roadway. So, when you go through, they zoom right up and swarm around you. Luckily, they don't follow, but definately scary!
        Well, I believe we've figured out what the mystery insects are that have made me alter my running route (grumble grumble)!! Cicada killer wasps! My husband had a bunch of the things swarming around his parking lot at work today and brought a dead one home. If indeed that's what they are, then my assumptions were right when I told him I thought they were either a)an insect that had markings like a wasp for predator protection, but had no stinging abilities at all and was a totally different insect, or b)was a wasp and wasn't aggressive because of all the times I've run through them, sometimes batting my arms, I would have been stung by now! (ding ding...choice B is right) AND I noticed the "horseflies" (or so I thought LOL) had been getting more numerous every time I went through. Turns out the males are probably what I've been encountering (on the road, swarming up to me when I go by) and as the article states, they come out mide June to mid September. Looks like prime time for the buggers! Good to know that they are pretty harmless (males don't have stingers), but I am still NOT going through them; it'd be my luck to bump into a lost female who mistakes me for a large cicada! Big grin Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket You can read about them here!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eeek...wasps freak me out...and those are like wasps on 'roids!

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

if i can carry any weapon, I'll carry these...ninjas swear by them..
              I actually took a can of wasp spray!! Ha!!!! Couldn't find a nest (as I now know they burrow underground in tunnels) so I just left. Sad Heh. You KNOW you have a problem when you drive to property that isn't even yours, you have no idea if it's private or not, armed with a can of wasp spray, trying to find a way to eliminate the things so you can continue to run the route that you love... undisturbed. Big grin
                My son loves these and has become quite expert in sticking them into a wooden target we made. Unfortunately, he broke his last one when he missed and it bounced off the driveway. Thanks for reminding me to get him some more. MTA - I agree - my son is a ninja in training, and he swears by them.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

madness baby

I would injure myself just trying to hold onto that. I am not a ninja. I was in Yellowstone last week and I did see a guy carrying bear pepper spray with him on a morning run! I should have had some. . . I have never clapped for so long as on some long backcountry hikes! It was not a little thing of pepper spray either, it was huge. It wasn't unreasonable, but just something I wouldn't have thought about had I gone running.
                  deb
                    My view is, you're running. That means whoever's attacking you is gonna hafta catch up. Think of it as a race, with someone right on your tail. My bet's they'll get tired and give up before you do. But that's probably a bad safety net.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My view is, you're running. That means whoever's attacking you is gonna hafta catch up. Think of it as a race, with someone right on your tail. My bet's they'll get tired and give up before you do.
                      I used to think that if they couldn't catch me in the first 200m, they weren't going to catch me at all. That was true 15~20 years ago when I was fast, but I'm older, slower, and I strain my hamstrings when I imagine running under 6:00/mile.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My view is, you're running. That means whoever's attacking you is gonna hafta catch up. Think of it as a race, with someone right on your tail. My bet's they'll get tired and give up before you do. But that's probably a bad safety net.
                        Heh, yeah...but they aren't already tired if they're sitting low and waiting for me to pass and I'm slow. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

---- Cynthia
                            At least you had a good excuse for wiping-out...I would wipe out for absolutely no reason. Running is a much better sport for me--it requires a lot less coordination! Wink BTW, BIG congrats on your nuptials! I hope your day was wonderful. Where did you honeymoon? Smile k
                            Sorry I guess I missed this last week Blush We honeymooned at Sandals in the Bahamas -- very awesome!
                            ---- Cynthia
                              This is something I just found at Road Runner Sports. Strap's nice for around your hand or belt!