explaining shin splints and stress fractures (Read 116 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

See the source image

With that picture, you can clearly see that the Talus bone is the hinge point for both the Tibia and Fibula. It also shows what I call the, "gas tank," perspective of the bone. Since it's much more narrow at the base of the bone and wider in front, that angle allows for maximum range of motion in forward reach to maximize stride length, but forces the Fibula outward as it moves forward.

So when I write that shin splints are a byproduct of too much forward lean, not only does the above picture show the stress load distribution to the foot, but the cause of pushing the Fibula outward as the wedge shape of the bone, "splinters," the Fibula outward.

The biology of the bone is what causes the pain.

Funny what happens when you read medical textbooks...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cool story bro.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Can you put that picture in spatial context?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The Calcaneus is the heel bone in 3-D and the foot would be from the perspective of being the right ankle. Visually, it's as if it were on the right side of your computer from a slight behind perspective.

The "V" shape of the bone, is the wedge that pushes the Fibula outward as you lean forward. The tip of that triangle shape is the back of the heel, so with maximum downward foot flexation, eliminates an bone friction. The widest point would have the most outward force at maximum forward lean to split apart the two bones of the lower leg.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

kilkee

runktrun

Are you referring to the  thing labeled os trigonum as the wedge that pushes the fibula?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

In over 25000 miles I never got a shin splint.

so does that mean my form is correct?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Maybe you lean so far forward you've broken the physics of it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Where is the fibula in that picture?

And if I'm reading what you wrote correctly, you're saying that the fibula is the bone being pushed out - so does that mean that all shin splint damage, and the resultant pain, is located in the fibula?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

No it just means that the angle of the foot and lower leg is within its natural range of motion.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Are you referring to the  thing labeled os trigonum as the wedge that pushes the fibula?

I call the bone the motorcycle gas tank of your foot...

The OS, stabilizes the bone, but no impact in separation of the two lower leg bones. That's determined by pronation of foot.

The widest point of the bone, which is the front surface of the structure is what drives the two bones apart as you lean forward.

kilkee

runktrun

The os trigonum is an accessory bone found in only about 10% of the population.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

I'm going to sit this right here:

Sometimes chronic exertional compartment syndrome is mistaken for shinsplints, a more common cause of leg pain in young people who do a lot of vigorous weight-bearing activity, such as running.

Most coaches know this. At least the ones who actually work with people instead of the internet.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Did I mention compartment syndrome????

Since you brought up the topic, that's a whole different story. Especially since internet idiots have no clue to the connection...

Misuse of any limb structure will have consequences. overdevelopment of muscles within the lower leg is a direct byproduct of improper running form. How could you think otherwise?

If you know how to run, you won't experience the problem.

Which is why the elite runners are heel strike in landing and not forefoot or midfoot as the running/barf industry teaches.  The lower leg plays no dominant role in landing or push off mechanics. In midfoot or forefoot landing, the strength to keep the heel off the ground through every stride is what overdevelops the muscles in the lower leg to compensate.

Overdevelopment of muscles between two bones is a direct byproduct of stresses to the foot which it isn't designed to bear.  Hence the loss of blood flow and associated pains....

DUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH...

Oh by the way, follow up yet???

Ben Obert

Welp pitiful imbeciles, the great Deity sportjester has come to save your feeble minds from the wet paper bag you are so pathetically ensnared in.

Sing with me, "sportjester is awesome, sportjester is majestic, there is no one in sportjester's intellectual stratosphere. sportjester's IQ is my zip code. sportjester invented and perfected every sport known to man, in addition to some yet undiscovered by mankind. sportjester is my life."

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Did I mention compartment syndrome????

Since you brought up the topic, that's a whole different story. Especially since internet idiots have no clue to the connection...

Misuse of any limb structure will have consequences. overdevelopment of muscles within the lower leg is a direct byproduct of improper running form. How could you think otherwise?

If you know how to run, you won't experience the problem.

Which is why the elite runners are heel strike in landing and not forefoot or midfoot as the running/barf industry teaches.  The lower leg plays no dominant role in landing or push off mechanics. In midfoot or forefoot landing, the strength to keep the heel off the ground through every stride is what overdevelops the muscles in the lower leg to compensate.

Tell that to Mary Decker Slaney.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.