easy run vs long run (Read 167 times)

Gizmo2019

Is there a difference between an easy run and long run or are they both slowish...? I mean pace-wise...are easy runs supposed to be run at the same pace as long runs?

Purdey

Self anointed title

In general I would tend to go by effort rather than pace for both types of run.  Try to make your easy runs feel very easy, and your long runs can be a bit faster.  Most folks run their easy runs too hard and their hard runs too easy.

Gizmo2019

I start my easy runs easy ish then end hard and start out long runs hard and crap out 🤦‍♀️ What’s wrong w me? Where am I trying to go?

SMART Approach

I start my easy runs easy ish then end hard and start out long runs hard and crap out 🤦‍♀️ What’s wrong w me? Where am I trying to go?

I like a formula of easy runs being around 1:30-2:00 min per mile pace slower than your current 5K race pace. The more fit and more miles you do the closer to 2:00 min you should be. Long runs can vary. I think lower mileage runners should focus on running long at  very comfortable paces as there is more stress simply just because of the distance....certainly not starting these fast is key as you want to teach body to preserve carb stores and a fast start immediately goes into your carb stores for fast energy use. Not good. When training for HALF and FULL and your miles are up, I like to mix in quality or faster pace stuff within the long run but this is not a newbie technique.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Is there a difference between an easy run and long run or are they both slowish...? I mean pace-wise...are easy runs supposed to be run at the same pace as long runs?

Functionally I use easy run to designate shorter runs at a comfortable or easy effort, so they are "slowish".  That includes both recovery runs which are very slow and any other run that isn't long or speed work. I designate long runs as those lasting 2 hours or more (some set the limit as 1.5 hours, other by some arbitrary distance).  Of necessity they are run at a slower pace, but that could encompass a large range as long as the effort keeps it aerobic.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Feeling the growl again

Easy runs are easy effort.  Long runs can be lots of things if you are in shape to do more than just finish them.  I used to run the last 4-10 miles of a 16-miler at marathon pace or better.  Certainly not easy.  But I was jogging nice and slow the next morning.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

What Spaniel said.  Long runs can, if well trained, be one of your faster runs in the week..  Easy runs should be your slowest.

strambo

My "long" runs are at my "easy" run pace...just a lot longer!  For me, I don't consider it "long" until 16mi and beyond.  I have only trained for ultras though.

dcowboys31

Only run three days a week and my "long runs" are anything over 6 miles and usually around 8 to 10 and for me the pace is in the middle, not slow or fast. I do a 4 mile "fast or tempo" run on Wednesday night a "long" run on Saturdays between 6 & 10 miles and a 4 to 6 mile "easy run" on Sundays. Based on heart rate, racing is 180bpm and above average, tempo runs are about 170 - 175 bpm, long runs are about 150 to 165 bpm and easy runs are anything under 145 bpm. Race pacing is about 6:50-6:55 mile, Tempo is 7:10 -7:30 mile, Long run 8:15 - 8:45 mile and Easy is about 9:00 - 10:00 mile.

One fast run, one long run and one easy per week. Only training for 5K distance so this has been what has worked for me.

Jay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Easy runs are easy effort.  Long runs can be lots of things if you are in shape to do more than just finish them. ... <snip example>.

I think this ^

Daniels has some long run workouts with mile intervals in the middle of them. And rather by accident, I ran long a couple days ago, and it was just some easy runs interspersed around two races.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

In the half plans Daniels put a marathon pace block in the long run every other week. With max 10% of weekly mileage, min. 4 miles.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Gizmo2019

Thanks everyone...very helpful!

Luciplay

easy runs are for recovery, long runs are for aerobic fitness

davidg123

Hi. For those who start, it's always better to start with less so as not to get hurt, then the desire to run will not be lost. Easy run means you will not do more than you need to.