Thoughts on including running on resume? (Read 742 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I review applications for a nonrunning position. I review several hundred per year. If a runner lists running as one of their activities, they had either: 1. Be an accomplished runner (since I will look up their results). 2. Have numerous numerous other activities related to that for which they are applying to balance out mediocre running accomplishments. If your resume lists running and does not list those activities that qualify you for the job, then the reviewer will wonder why you had time to run but not to participate in relevant activities. If your resume lists loads of relevant activities and running then it may make you look well rounded. If your resume lists running and you are an accomplished runner then it may help.
    mikeymike

It could definitely hurt. It almost certainly won't help. Your resume cannot get you a job, it can only eliminate you from consideration. I would (and do) leave it off. If on an interview someone says, "you look like a runner" or, "what do you do outside of work?" then that's a different story.

Runners run

i put an entire section of non-work related conversation starters on my resume: Mentioned on “Late Night with David Letterman” and “The O’Reilly Factor”, mistaken for a tree stump, cheered for Grapepickers, raised a baby Wolf for two years, survived moving offices seven times in four years for one company, founding member of the Races and Cakes Club, absolutely loves to work hard without complaining. My college actually wouldn't let me distribute my resume via their internal job posting site because of it. However, I've been offered 7 jobs over the past 4 years and every single person says "after seeing your resume, how could we not call you?" i figure, if they don't appreciate my humor, i don't want to work for them anyway. granted, i don't work in the legal field, got the idea from a lawyer i used to be a nanny for who also includes a funny section on her resume for the same reason - screening out employers Smile