2017 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 487 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Yep. I was on the red line from Kendall back to my downtown office yesterday afternoon. Lots of skinny people wearing SWEET Adidas jackets and not knowing how to board a subway car.

I'd say that was me, except I haven't boarded the Red Line yet. Orange Line represent!

Have a great race, everyone!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

FSBD

Good luck everyone

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Wind at your backs ya'll, go get it!!!!

Get off my porch

npaden

Are there always so many people that are getting carried to the finish line and then even more that are being carted off in wheelchairs the second they cross the line?

Never seen so many people needing assistance at the end of a race before.

Or is the weather really taking a toll on everyone this year?

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's hot.

Julia1971

Are there always so many people that are getting carried to the finish line and then even more that are being carted off in wheelchairs the second they cross the line?

Never seen so many people needing assistance at the end of a race before.

Or is the weather really taking a toll on everyone this year?

It was weird.  I feel like I saw more people in serious distress in the finish line area rather than on the course.  Hope all the RAers are okay.

I thought it was a bizarre weather day.  Probably unlike any other I've experienced.  It went from hot to somewhat cool, to hot and windy, to hot and cool and windy, over and over again.  "Don't like the weather?  Wait 10 minutes."

On another topics, what were some of your favorite signs?  I tend to forget so want you all to help me remember.  I thought "Alternative fact: small hill ahead" before Heartbreak Hill was pretty good.

Dreamn

I didn't feel that elusive wind. The crowds were rocking this year or maybe I was trying to race last year and neglected them, but man, they were SO great. There were some great signs, all of which escape me at the moment.

Wind at your backs ya'll, go get it!!!!

KMB

Some days I'm the windshield, often I'm the bug.  I got smeared yesterday.  On the bright side, I knew very early that I would not be putting up a good number, so I packed it in early and just ran, and walked, a lot.  I don't think I had it under any circumstances yesterday... I overdid it at Eastern States 3 weeks earlier and never recovered.  What I found really odd was that I felt those twinges you get when you are going to cramp starting at mile 5, and I wasn't moving anywhere close enough to be cramping.  And I was very diligent in the weeks leading up, loads of fluids, very little alcohol.  I had gatorade at every single water stop and water in addition, starting at halfway.

It may be my most challenging marathon ever, so in light of that, I'm proud to have gotten through it.  I have lots of work to do to try to get back next year.  Congrats to the runners, and thank you to the fans on the course, the volunteers, and to Boston.

Went to the post race and thought it was decent.  A sign that made me laugh that I had not seen before was at Wellesley: "I don't do marathons, but i do marathoners."

Julia1971

Some days I'm the windshield, often I'm the bug.  I got smeared yesterday.  On the bright side, I knew very early that I would not be putting up a good number, so I packed it in early and just ran, and walked, a lot.  I don't think I had it under any circumstances yesterday... I overdid it at Eastern States 3 weeks earlier and never recovered.  What I found really odd was that I felt those twinges you get when you are going to cramp starting at mile 5, and I wasn't moving anywhere close enough to be cramping.  And I was very diligent in the weeks leading up, loads of fluids, very little alcohol.  I had gatorade at every single water stop and water in addition, starting at halfway.

It may be my most challenging marathon ever, so in light of that, I'm proud to have gotten through it.  I have lots of work to do to try to get back next year.  Congrats to the runners, and thank you to the fans on the course, the volunteers, and to Boston.

Went to the post race and thought it was decent.  A sign that made me laugh that I had not seen before was at Wellesley: "I don't do marathons, but i do marathoners."

I missed that sign in Wellesley.  That's a good one.  I remember, "Kiss me.  I left the library for this."  I've seen pictures of the guy with the 3rd quarter score of the Super Bowl on social media.  At the time, I thought it was rubbing it in (because: Patriots), but now I realize that was supposed to be a "never give up" sign.

It was challenging!  The course itself is already hard.  Add kooky weather and it was a tough day.  I also felt a slump at Mile 4 to 5.  I think that was when the heat really got to me.  I went to town at the water stop after Mile 5...

I was navigating the water stops like a clinic!  In a couple of instances, I got a Gatorade and TWO waters from the same stop. 

My goal race is in 3 weeks so your post is a cautionary one for me.  I don't think I went out too hard, but I guess I'll see.  My goal was to do my long run pace, which has been around 8:45, but I ran 8:30 instead.  Including a slight negative split and 7:05 pace sprint at the end. 

A "never give up" sign for Bostonians.  Smile

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My goal race is in 3 weeks so your post is a cautionary one for me.  I don't think I went out too hard, but I guess I'll see.  My goal was to do my long run pace, which has been around 8:45, but I ran 8:30 instead.  Including a slight negative split and 7:05 pace sprint at the end. 

That's a heck of a training run!

Julia1971

In case anyone is interested, I just posted my race report on my blog.

That's a heck of a training run!

Indeed.  Smile  I had my first workout since today - 4x1 mile @ 5-10K pace and it went well so I'm taking that as a sign that I didn't go out too hard.

Julia1971

A "never give up" sign for Bostonians.  Smile

Did you read how he got in a Twitter fight with ESPN?   This guy.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Did you read how he got in a Twitter fight with ESPN?   This guy.

Huh, he was neither the sign holder nor the photographer, but he gets all the media attention. Then he tops it off with "a vigorous, curse-fueled reply to ESPN’s request."

Julia1971

Right.  I characterized that wrong.  It was the photographer who was the jerk.

Huh, he was neither the sign holder nor the photographer, but he gets all the media attention. Then he tops it off with "a vigorous, curse-fueled reply to ESPN’s request."