Enlyten (Read 720 times)

The company that makes Enlten electrolyte strips (Strip Up) is going out of business or just dropping the sports strip line I am not sure which. Either way they are going to stop making these things. I have come to rely on them to prevent cramping in my calves while running long races. Now I need a plan B. Anybody know of a good substitute? The nice thing about the strips is that they dissolved slowly and did not add water or calories to whatever you were otherwise taking.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

chrimbler

A Banana a day keeps the cramps away Big grin
      Run like you stole it!
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is wrong with calories while on long runs or races? The strips have very little in them in the way of electrolytes, they are simply too small.

Prophet!

S Caps.
            Trent, sorry I did not mean to imply that I was avoiding calorie supplements on my long runs and races. I typically carry along Gu's or Shotblocks. But, I apparently need something that adds electrolytes beyond what these products offer. My experience is that if I just use gels, or fluids (like Gatorade) I cramp up. On the other hand it is not really helpful if I double, for example, my Gatorade intake as that just leaves me bloated since my system does not process it fast enough. SurfNRun thanks I will check out the S Caps.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

S Caps.
              I second these. I find that I've only needed them when it's hot out though.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, sorry I did not mean to imply that I was avoiding calorie supplements on my long runs and races. I typically carry along Gu's or Shotblocks. But, I apparently need something that adds electrolytes beyond what these products offer. My experience is that if I just use gels, or fluids (like Gatorade) I cramp up. On the other hand it is not really helpful if I double, for example, my Gatorade intake as that just leaves me bloated since my system does not process it fast enough.
                Got it. Yeah, Gu, blocks and fluids all contain sodium in spades. But cramping often comes from potassium and magnesium depletion. The strips don't have all that much of these lytes. Many of the salt caps do.

The Greatest of All Time

I used salt tabs when training for and racing the Ironman. I was training in Texas during the summer and it was damn hot. I mean really, really hot. I always took them with me on long rides and popped one every hour or so. During the race I took one every hour on the bike and run and didn't cramp once. I see these S caps are essentially sodium chloride (salt) and potassium. You can't go wrong there.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    Sorry, but I've never heard of S Caps... What exactly do they do for you?
                    "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
                      Sorry, but I've never heard of S Caps... What exactly do they do for you?
                      They are a capsule that has a similar electrolyte profile to a sports drink like Gatorade. But without the water or sugar. Trent is correct that you should be able to get what you need from sports drink and/or gu packs. I find that that combo does give me everything I need most of the time. But when it's hot and I'm running a 20 miler or whatever- I get muscle cramps - I find the S Caps prevent that.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

They are a capsule that has a similar electrolyte profile to a sports drink like Gatorade. But without the water or sugar. Trent is correct that you should be able to get what you need from sports drink and/or gu packs. I find that that combo does give me everything I need most of the time. But when it's hot and I'm running a 20 miler or whatever- I get muscle cramps - I find the S Caps prevent that.
                        Ah, Cool. thanks a lot, man.
                        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
                          I just found out the (a?) company that sold Enlyten over the internet called StripUp is all that is going under. Fans of Enlyten can still buy it. Actually, you can now get it at many more outlets since they seem to have convinced some bricks and mortar retail outfits to carry them.