The Fat Trap (Read 1338 times)

Scout7

On a more serious note... (stop laughing)...

I was listening to NPR (again, stop laughing), and they had a psychologist on talking about weight loss.  He said that they did tests with obese kids where they didn't focus on exercise, or good diet, or habits, but rather on teaching the kids how to understand their bodies better.  What they found was that the children either never learned to understand what hunger actually felt like, or what being full felt like, so they never learned when they were actually hungry or their bodies were just craving something.  Along with that, a lot of these kids lived in a perpetual state of stress, and that stress was causing them to crave more food more often, both for the calories and also for the release of chemicals that made them feel better (even if temporarily).

In other words, losing weight wasn't just about learning how to eat the right foods; it was also about retraining the mind and body to understand what was going on.

xor

Beyond the weird way that this thread started, I like it because it sometimes pops up a very photoshopped picture of Jillian Michaels.

(side note: I remember the old days when we said pics like that were "airbrushed")

A Saucy Wench

yes, for the most part. Refering to Scouts post - not srlopez's

I am always always always hungry.  Always.  I cant always be really hungry.  So most of the time I must be fake hungry.   Retraining hasn't worked that well.  Pretty much I just have to decide when to accept and when to tell my body to fuck off.  Which only works sometimes. Its kind of like miles 20-26 of a marathon all the time.  Sometimes the mind doesnt win over the body.

MTA: srlopez has a thing for Jillian?  hmmm.   I get some dude in purple doing a fist pump. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Nah, no thing for Jillian and I'm rabidly anti-BL.

I just think it is interesting that even with someone like Jillian, there's still a need/desire/whatever on the part of advertising to augment the pic.  When I wrote "I like", what I really meant is "I find this curious and it makes me think".

She doesn't do it for me.

I do like pie.

A Saucy Wench

oooooh we got a new ad I've never seen before for eating disorder treatment.

I didnt make pie for Xmas.  Maybe that is why the holidays feel incomplete.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Scout7

yes, for the most part. Refering to Scouts post - not srlopez's

I am always always always hungry.  Always.  I cant always be really hungry.  So most of the time I must be fake hungry.   Retraining hasn't worked that well.  Pretty much I just have to decide when to accept and when to tell my body to fuck off.  Which only works sometimes. Its kind of like miles 20-26 of a marathon all the time.  Sometimes the mind doesnt win over the body.

MTA: srlopez has a thing for Jillian?  hmmm.   I get some dude in purple doing a fist pump. 

Well, sure, there comes a point where you actually ARE hungry.  And to be honest, I'm not sure how effective this concept is in adults (the doctor only talked about children), and I'm sure it's something that would be most effective with outside help and monitoring.

But it does point out that weight management is not really all that simple, and that a combination of issues are at work.

A Saucy Wench

Well, sure, there comes a point where you actually ARE hungry. 

No I mean there comes a point where you cant continue to override even if you are probably only fake hungry. 

Scout7

No I mean there comes a point where you cant continue to override even if you are probably only fake hungry. 

Ah, gotcha.

Why is it sideways?

A dude tried to sell me pot this morning on the beach. One of the hazards of vacationing in the Caribbean. The only hazard, actually, come to think of it. Well, that and wasting time on the internet. Peace out!

xor

I didnt make pie for Xmas.  Maybe that is why the holidays feel incomplete.

Perhaps.  Plus we haven't transitioned through NYE and epiphany (which my ESL brain says epi-FANNY) yet.

We *did* just close out hanukkah though.

A Saucy Wench

A dude tried to sell me pot this morning on the beach. One of the hazards of vacationing in the Caribbean. The only hazard, actually, come to think of it. Well, that and wasting time on the internet. Peace out!

WTF are you doing here on your vacation.  Dude.  If I was in the Caribbean I would not remember that any of you folk exist.

I supposed I could always make pie for NYE, but I think I will make flan again.

Beyond the weird way that this thread started, I like it because it sometimes pops up a very photoshopped picture of Jillian Michaels.

(side note: I remember the old days when we said pics like that were "airbrushed")

My pop up adds are always of things I've recentley looked at. Not the topic of the thread.   Weird. Or maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention.

- Anya

bhearn

Interesting...

Scientists are still learning why a weight-reduced body behaves so differently from a similar-size body that has not dieted. Muscle biopsies taken before, during and after weight loss show that once a person drops weight, their muscle fibers undergo a transformation, making them more like highly efficient “slow twitch” muscle fibers. A result is that after losing weight, your muscles burn 20 to 25 percent fewer calories during everyday activity and moderate aerobic exercise than those of a person who is naturally at the same weight. 

... so maybe one reason I'm a marathoner/ultrarunner is that I lost 50 pounds 10 years ago?

xor

My pop up adds are always of things I've recentley looked at. Not the topic of the thread.   Weird. Or maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention.

Well, I dunno about "always".  One of the various inputs google uses for ads is your browsing history.  So, interestingly enough, I'm currently seeing an ad for Pimsleur over there -->.  Pimsleur has nothing to do with this thread, nor is it a word that has appeared in this thread (or perhaps even this site, ever) until I typed it for this post.  It's a language training tool, which I was browsing through yesterday.  So, yup, you are right... some of the stuff you see isn't specific to stuff from RA.

But some IS.  And that's how I think I got Miss Jillian.  Because of the fat trap and/or other associated things.  I've not been browsing her, though now it looks like I doth protest too much.  Hee.

(and some stuff is less specific.  We all get fitnesssingles, I bet, because this is a fitness related website and fitnesssingles paid google a bunch to do that.  Nothing more/less dramatic.)

Oh, and what bhearn said.