New Beggining! (Read 960 times)

LnghrnBelle

About 5 years ago I was able to run about 3 miles/day. I worked up to it slowly and trained to get there. I started college and well, you know things can get off track which is no excuse, but it happened none the less. Now I'm over weight and unable to run what I used to, and there were times I tried to pick up from where I left, but of course with the extra weight and not running systematically, I couldn't do it which makes me sad but determined. Now, I want to start up again, but don't know where to start. What do you all recommend for a beginning plan to start running again? Thanks!
    I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace. --Helen Keller

My Hero

It sounds like you are pretty much starting from scratch. Well the good news is, the more out shape you are, the faster you will see results. The faster you see results, the more motivated and encouraged you will be. Make sense? My only advice, at this point, would be take it slow. Not just hurrying to get back to your 3 miles daily, but your "pace" as well. Even if you have to walk/run, find a pace that is easy enough for you to carry on a conversation. Stay at that pace and before you know it you will wake up and find that 3 mile run is a piece of cake! Good luck! Tommy

Queen of 3rd Place

The C25K (Couch to 5K) program has been used by many, many people: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Of course you can modify it as it works for you. Take it easy, have fun, and check in again! Arla

Ex runner

Gig

Try to find a local running club. A lot of them are starting their 5K programs for new runners pretty soon. You get to the point where you feel like you have to show up for the runs so you don't let down the group. It's great motivation for those who need it.
            Hey there! Sounds like you have been able to do it before...you will be able to do it again! I definitely second checking out the couch to 5K program, even if you don't follow it exactly it will remind you how to get started, slowly and safely. If you have an mp3 player look for one of the podcasts that talks you through the 5K program...or check out podrunner (www.djsteveboy.com) which is debuting a couch to 5K podcast as well as the fixed tempo mixes he's been putting out for a while.
            Heroes never die. They just reload.
              Definitely look into the Couch to 5K program linked above. In 9 weeks you will be back comfortably running 3 miles, 3 times a week. You will get there safely, I highly recommend this program.
              Freerunner

Welcome! I also say use the C25K program! I use to run 4 miles a day 6 years ago, but then along came life and kids! I started the C25K in October and have completed it and already ran in my first 5K race! Timing wasn't great, but I ran it! Big grin Good luck and for great motivation just log in here and this group of individuals are wonderful to help you along! Smile
                Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

C25K rocks. You can also download podcasts from Robert Ullrey for free on iTunes or get the MP3 versions by looking up his name. Good luck! Smile

TRUST THE PROCESS

LnghrnBelle

Thanks so much everyone! I am currently looking into a 5K program for beginners that RunTex offers. I started my first walk/jog today. I walked for about a half hour, and when I got a little bit of a jolt, I jogged for about a minute. I kept switching every other 10 min. or so. I'm starting slowly, but I'm confident. Thanks everyone! I'll try and keep you all posted with my progress. Big grin
                    I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace. --Helen Keller
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck!! Are you in Austin? That's my hometown. I was at UT from 80 to 86. In April, my running partner and I will be down there and we're going to run the Schlotzsky's 5k. I can't wait to see bluebonnets again! I would like to check out RunTex - I've heard it's a great store. The key is persistence, so keep up the good work. Teresa
                      LnghrnBelle

How exciting! Smile I graduated from UT May 2007..Hook 'Em!! Run Tex is an excellent store, you should check it out when you come down. I am very determined to get up to that 5K, and even though I'm starting from scratch, I know its going to happen! Thanks for the well wishes!
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

How exciting! Smile I graduated from UT May 2007..Hook 'Em!! Run Tex is an excellent store, you should check it out when you come down. I am very determined to get up to that 5K, and even though I'm starting from scratch, I know its going to happen! Thanks for the well wishes!
                          Congratulations on graduating! I miss the football games! My folks took my son to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, and I was very envious. I hope you run the 5k! It sounds like a lot of fun. Keep running! Teresa