Trying to cut down my routine before a morning run (Read 448 times)

CT JEFF

Cutting down the routine. Ok. Practice running barefoot. Live in a place warm enough to go shirtless year round. Dont eat breakfast. Only buy shorts with liners. And sure. Sleep in those shorts. That should do it.

But seriously. Ive found good results with drinking 2 pints of water when I wake up (no coffee). If I want an early run, no food.

Unless its a several hour run. Then I wake up 2.5 hrs before long run/race. Drink water. Eat food. Go... you know.

But with all processes, sometimes our failures tell us more than our successes. This past race I went with some RW advice and stopped eating so much fiber a day before race. (I usually have 4 eggs and 1 piece of Ezekial bread which has 10% of your daily fiber. 1 slice! ) So, instead I started eating white rice and somehow forgot to drink enough hotel water - which tastes like crap. So, instead of my set-your-watch-to-it routine, I ended up missing my bathroom appointment by 24 hrs!  - So despite bringing a griddle, eggs, bananas, rice, beet juice, race fuel, the change in water and diet didnt help.

Point being. If you dont want to GO before the run, dont drink enough water and keep fiber low. If you want to make sure you have gone before your run, drink water and eat fiber. Hot fluids also help speed up the process. Caffeine can bother my stomach requiring pit stops.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

TripleBock

??

Wake up

Get running clothes and shoed on - 3 minutes

Slam a glass of h20 and try to poop - 2-7 minutes

Out the door 5-10 minutes

Definately no food needed before run - This will actually help you become more efficient at burning fat as fuel ... having good long-term marathon benefits.

Bathroom available 2.5 miles and 6 miles from house - 30% of time, I would need a pit stop

What is your routine before heading out for a morning run (of more than an hour)? I'm trying to cut down on my routine and get out the door quicker. Of course, much of that depends on training my body to, ahem, "clear out" quicker in the morning. 

In training for my second-ever marathon (Carmel, IN, last month), I developed the following morning routine:

1. Alarm 75 minutes before anticipated run time (often 3:45am-4:00am)
      2. Drink coffee (set up on timer the night before), eat bagel with peanut butter
      3. Spend time "digesting" and getting my body to "wake up" enough to "clear out" the system
      4. Get on the road around 5:00am (or, if running at the indoor track, leave home to arrive at track by around 5:00am)
      5. Finish the workout and return home by 7:00am (so my wife can head off to work and I get the kids out the door to school)

Any advice on cutting down on the length of my pre-run routine?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

??

Wake up

Get running clothes and shoed on - 3 minutes

Slam a glass of h20 and try to poop - 2-7 minutes

Out the door 5-10 minutes

Definately no food needed before run - This will actually help you become more efficient at burning fat as fuel ... having good long-term marathon benefits.

Bathroom available 2.5 miles and 6 miles from house - 30% of time, I would need a pit stop

Boom.  Compared to every other response in this thread, that was like Dominique Wilkins vs Stephen Hawking in a dunk contest.  We didn't stand a chance.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

If I had to wake up 75 minutes before getting out the door - I would never get out the door - or out of bed.

Simplify - it's just running.  So run.

Ready, go.

If I had to wake up 75 minutes before getting out the door - I would never get out the door - or out of bed.

Simplify - it's just running.  So run.

So true!!

I often wake in the middle of the night, not sure exactly why.  I usually take advantage of this and have a small midnight snack and fall right back to sleep.  When I run before work, I will wake at 4:50AM and be out the door at 5 or 5:10 AM.  I will eat when I finish.

Joann Y

So true!!

I often wake in the middle of the night, not sure exactly why.  

Maybe off topic but you reminded me of this great article in the New York Times a while back about the idea of "first sleep" and "second sleep". This might explain your middle of the night awakenings. Get up and read, think, eat, or whatever and then get back to bed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/opinion/sunday/rethinking-sleep.html

One of the first signs that the emphasis on a straight eight-hour sleep had outlived its usefulness arose in the early 1990s, thanks to a history professor at Virginia Tech named A. Roger Ekirch, who spent hours investigating the history of the night and began to notice strange references to sleep. A character in the “Canterbury Tales,” for instance, decides to go back to bed after her “firste sleep.” A doctor in England wrote that the time between the “first sleep” and the “second sleep” was the best time for study and reflection. 

It seemed that, given a chance to be free of modern life, the body would naturally settle into a split sleep schedule. Subjects grew to like experiencing nighttime in a new way. Once they broke their conception of what form sleep should come in, they looked forward to the time in the middle of the night as a chance for deep thinking of all kinds, whether in the form of self-reflection, getting a jump on the next day or amorous activity. Most of us, however, do not treat middle-of-the-night awakenings as a sign of a normal, functioning brain.

SillyC

I think she's talking about baking a loaf, dudes.

I just saw this....  no I am absolutely talking about people in Worcester MA getting high in the morning.  Not making cinnamon buns.  Mmmm, though....  maybe they do both?

CT JEFF

<<< Sleep Professional. Full time job as a Registered Polysomnographer for past 14 years. So here is my Opinion on that article.

1. The author has a confused message. Naps during your wake period and wake during your sleep period are completely different. Period.

2. The author has taken the fact that some people sleep differently and made assumptions based on what might be normal without citing one well run study.

3. The author appears to have an uniformed bias, claiming that "doctors who push sleeping pills..."

The current consensus is that adults require about 8 hours of sleep. Some perform optimally closer to 6 hours, while others perform better around 9 hours. The start of the article mentions and then abandons one of the causes of modern sleepiness, electronics. There are simple steps that most modern adults ignore, but are repeated to every sleep patient. Sleep hygiene, is a shorthand term for all the simple things you should do to improve your sleep. Essentially, go to bed at the same time, give yourself enough time to sleep (dont set the alarm for 4 hours and wonder why you are tired every day); avoid distractions during sleep (like cell phone pings); and wind down with a pre-sleep routine to get your body prepared to sleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwh3JQZ6tj0 (from the 1950's).

Waking during the middle of the night happens to most everyone at some point. Often the inability to return to sleep is short-lived (acute), but when people start giving themselves rewards for being awake (checking email, watching tv, eating) the body begins to learn and adapt to this pattern (chronic) and breaking it becomes much harder.

As for "first sleep" and "second sleep". This isnt really a thing. The normal sleep pattern can be broken down into 90 minute segments. The earlier segments usually have more stage 2 sleep and end with a brief (~15 minute) REM sleep (rapid eye movement sleep stage). Subsequent segments generally start to have longer periods of stage 3 sleep and longer REM sleep. Often adults have 4 segments of sleep, each with a REM, but these segments arent normally broken up by a significant amount of awake time. Maybe 15-60 seconds as the person re-positions. Generally, naps are considered refreshing and beneficial if they are 30 minutes long, but longer naps 1-2 hours are usually a sign of sleep deprivation and can disrupt the sleep consolidation of the normal sleep period by cutting into the "sleep debt" that one accrues during the day.

I could go on, but I sense that Ive reached the end of the internet's limited interest. In summary, naps can be good, disturbed sleep periods aren't considered to be beneficial.

Maybe off topic but you reminded me of this great article in the New York Times a while back about the idea of "first sleep" and "second sleep". This might explain your middle of the night awakenings. Get up and read, think, eat, or whatever and then get back to bed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/opinion/sunday/rethinking-sleep.html

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Joann Y

Sometimes if I wake up I will read until I am sleepy again. I don't know, I find it quite delicious.

Birdwell

<<< Sleep Professional. Full time job as a Registered Polysomnographer for past 14 years. So here is my Opinion on that article.

What? Is that even a real medical thing? or is it like being a chiropractor?

off to wikipedia to research

p.s.  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What? Is that even a real medical thing? or is it like being a chiropractor?

off to wikipedia to research

Ah, a sleep professional.  Haven't you always envied Lil Abner's career as a mattress tester?

(Just kidding, Jeff CT)

restlessrunner

I try to eat a bigger dinner so that I don't need breakfast. Sometimes I bring a few pretzels on the run. Usually does the trick.

www.therestlessrunner.com

I have a banana and a cup of coffee to get my system to "clear out."  I wait a little but also get caught up online.  If I got out the door quicker I could run longer.  I think I will try maybe a small cup of coffee and go, be out the door in 10 mins....if nature calls it calls.

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...