Weight Loss and Running (Read 1355 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Running was very effective for me for the first 20 or so, the next 20 I had to add some cross training to maintain the pattern of losses (as well as sensible eating), and now I'm stuck, so strength training is the next logical step for me.
    IMO, you have the right idea. Keep in mind that last 10 or so won't come off as fast as the intial weight loss with the onset of running. But it will come off. There is also the possibility that you will lose little or no weight but instead trade fat for muscle. YMMV depeding on genetics, diet, and training.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

A Saucy Wench

Of course there's probably a bell curve of set points for women of a given height. I'm very familiar with a woman whose "set point" was in the 170s at 6'3" at age 25. .
      Gaby Reece was those stats at competition form....and HOT. I was going through a "hating being short phase" when she was playing and wanted to be her so badly.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Chris, you might get past that plateau and start losing again, anyway. That's what happened to me. I stayed stuck for awhile and have recently lost another 6 pounds without changing my routine. 4 more to go!
        Scout7

One of the biggest things that I see regarding weight loss and endurance training is calories consumed during training. I have seen people who will religiously take in gels and sports drink on runs of an hour or less. They then proceed to have a post-workout meal/snack/whatever, too. Yet they can't understand why they struggle losing a few pounds (For the record, this is not an indictment of anyone here, since I have not seen that level of detail displayed). I think people way over-think nutrition for training and for long runs. One of the bonuses of becoming more efficient is that you now need less fuel. So, you can probably reduce the intake to offset the training, which is something I think some people miss out on.

I have seen people who will religiously take in gels and sports drink on runs of an hour or less. They then proceed to have a post-workout meal/snack/whatever, too. Yet they can't understand why they struggle losing a few pounds
            Everybody should always have something to eat after their workouts or the workout was a waste of time, especially if the goal is to lose weight. If you don't give your body a little fuel afterwards to repair damage with then it will shut down as a defense mechanism and try to store as much fat as possible. That being said, taking in 500 calories during a run and then eating a huge plate of pancakes with syrup right afterwards isn't going to help at all, I agree with you there.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Greatest of All Time

That being said, taking in 500 calories during a run and then eating a huge plate of pancakes with syrup right afterwards isn't going to help at all, I agree with you there.
              Very true. So often people reward themselves for working out inappropriately. Example: 30 minute run; calories burned ~450 Post run treat: DQ Blizzard; calories consumed: >1000 That's not going to get it done. Big grin

C-R

Post run treat: DQ Blizzard
                Mmmmmmmm Blizzard. I agree on the gel comment too. Last HM I was slipping and sliding on the packets on the ground starting at mile three. Only time I break these out is for anything more than 15 and then I usually forget to take it. It is nice to reward yourself for a good run and I have to give a nod to Trent for the yogurt smoothie idea. Aids recovery and tastes great. Good grief - does that mean I'm turning Hippie? I do have a pair of crocs and I bought some whey protein from Trader Joe's to make the Marcus energy drink. Am I too far gone already so that I need a tye dye'd wardrobe........... Clowning around

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I kind of read through the thread quickly. Was there mention of the increased metabolism gained for each pound of muscle added, about 30 calories/day? I trained for my first marathon fall of 2006. Maxed around 55 m/wk but never got below 175. Started doing two days/wk of weights in July 2007 and was down to 165 by October. Trained same mileage fall of 2007 and this spring and am currently at 162. Base metabolism rises as you add muscle mass.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

The Greatest of All Time

Base metabolism rises as you add muscle mass.
                    It wasn't directly mentioned but that's a given.