Weather on New Run Entry form (Read 1654 times)

The auto temp feature is nice, but I'm not sure how practical it is unless you can hop on a computer immediately after a run. Besides that, I don't even know of a weather service that allows me to look up temperatures for a given location. Anyone know of such a place? If you're an international user and know of sites that offer weather stickers for your location, please let me know about that too!
    i would love to see the weather sticker for australian users. I have found some free ones that may work on the runningahead summary page: WEATHERZONE http://www.weatherzone.com.au/about/freeweatherpage.jsp GOOGLE http://www.gmodules.com/ig/creator?synd=open&url=http%3A//www.labpixies.com/campaigns/weather/weather.xml&pt=%26context%3Db%26synd%3Dopen%26lang%3Den%26.lang%3Den%26country%3Dus%26.country%3Dus%26cat%3Dall%26num%3D24%26start%3D0%26cols%3D0%26objs%3DOVJ%2CFoc%2CUQJ%2C6aZ%2CXtm%2C33G%2Cjyq%2CpV%2CRB%2COUg%2Cw%2Cc17%2CbZ3%2ChJi%2CgP1%2CFrT%2COC%2CpFi%2C7Wu%2Cevi%2CUvgp%2Cs%2CWXnd%2CUAc&sn=OVJ&lang=en Cheers from Oz and keep up the good work. Ewan

run for fun!

the weather icon that is currently on the summary page.
      am I missing something - how do I get a weather icon?

Recalculating...

Lazy idiot

am I missing something - how do I get a weather icon?
        On your Training Log summary page, there should be a Weather.com bubble that shows the current weather at your location. I don't know if this appears if you don't have a zip code entered in your profile.

Tick tock

AHA thanks for clueing me in FWIW I'd love an autofill with weather/ humidity/ dew point, but this works for now A

Recalculating...

Any word on an auto-fill weather tool? Using zipcode or GPS info to query a database would be AWESOME! I generally upload my workouts from my Garmin the next day and manually go to www.wunderground.com and input the temperature at the time of my run. An auto-fill for the temp, humidity, and wind speed/direction would be amazing.

Thanks for all you do for this site Eric! It is much appreciated.

eric :)

Brian,

I still haven't found a good data source for this.  I would like to use NOAA.  I won't even mind paying a little for it, but I don't know if they have a live service.  Weather is harder than elevation data.  Elevation data doesn't change much over the years.  I haven't found a weather service that provides up to date historical data.  Most services provide real time data, which is nice but probably not useful unless you log your run immediately.  NOAA has historical data, but anything I download will be too late.

I haven't found a weather service that provides up to date historical data.  Most services provide real time data, which is nice but probably not useful unless you log your run immediately.  NOAA has historical data, but anything I download will be too late.

Take a look at this link (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDFW/2012/2/1/DailyHistory.html), scroll down to "Hourly Observations" and see if this source would be sufficient. I usually go here and enter the date of interest and pull the historical data for the time of my workout manually. I have no idea if this is in a format that you could automatically query, but it does at least have up to the hour data available.

The immediate problem with wunderground.com is the cost:

http://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/pricing.html

I will need the 100,000 option with historical data, which would cost $2,700 per month.

The pricing structure doesn't work too well with the usage pattern on RA either.  Users tend to log their runs in the morning and evening.  The overall usage per day may be low, but during busy times, the per minute rate may be much higher than allowed.  Then there's the potential use for imported workouts, which can be a couple of thousand at a time.

Wow! I completely missed the wunderground cost structure...sorry about that. Thanks for looking into the suggestion. I'll happily continue to manually enter my weather data.

Since autolookup doesn't seem probable, it may be useful if there was a field to enter wind speed and direction.

Turnbaugh

I thought of a good alternative for the weather autofill - just display the current weather on the "edit workout entry" page like you do on the "summary" page.  That way it's up to the user whether or not to input it.

Another suggestion would be to add a "night" option on runs.  I'm hesitant to select "sunny/clear" for an evening run, since I typically associate "sunny" with "slower than usual".  Perhaps if there was a "dawn/dusk" and a "night" option, this would be easier to distinguish the two.  Thanks!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I thought of a good alternative for the weather autofill - just display the current weather on the "edit workout entry" page like you do on the "summary" page.  That way it's up to the user whether or not to input it.

I like this idea.  We could have the option to click on the displayed current weather to fill in the blanks.

Another suggestion would be to add a "night" option on runs.  I'm hesitant to select "sunny/clear" for an evening run, since I typically associate "sunny" with "slower than usual".  Perhaps if there was a "dawn/dusk" and a "night" option, this would be easier to distinguish the two.  Thanks!

Most of the time, the current weather won't do.  Even if you log your run immediately, a certain amount of time has elapsed.  I did more searching last night and it seems short term historical data is hard to come by.  Of the few sites that offer the service, the cheapest I found is $150 a month, which is a non-trivial percentage of the revenue from ads and ad-free subscriptions.

As for sunny/clear, would you feel better if I remove the sunny part and leave it as just clear?  Dawn, dusk, and night are not weather.  It is the result of your latitude and time of day, which I can calculate.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The weather thing is not a big deal.  Not worth spending money on, IMHO.

Sure, removing Sunny would work.  Most of my runs are in clear and dark conditions.

If you want to get into the darkness thing, a Dark checkbox could be pertinent.  You could automate that by time and lattitude, I suppose, except it wouldn't be valid for indoor runs.

Indoor runs tend not to be dark so the proposed check box won't be valid either ;-)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

interesting... I wonder if the weather block should include an indoor check box. I've been using overcast to indicate all my pre-dawn runs since its kind of not sunny even when its clear

bob e v
                                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.