Garmin 305? (Read 712 times)

C-R

How long does it take (on average) for your unit to synch with the satellites? On my downtown runs it seems to take well over 3 minutes even when I am away from buildings. I am also doing my warm-up jog at that time> so does being in motion increase the sych times.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

How long does it take (on average) for your unit to synch with the satellites? On my downtown runs it seems to take well over 3 minutes even when I am away from buildings. I am also doing my warm-up jog at that time> so does being in motion increase the sych times.
      Mine takes maybe 10-15 seconds. If I move locations between runs - like home to work (30+ miles) it takes longer (> 1 min) the first time - then 10-15 seconds after that. Being in motion does seem to make it take longer.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

A friend gave me a tip - take the watch off and put it on the ground while it's locating satellites. That seems to speed it up quite a bit. Of course, you have to be careful not to step on it!
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Usually about a minute. Being in motion will make it take longer, so make sure the watch is still during satellite acquisition.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Queen of 3rd Place

If I'm moving mine won't lock in at all. Otherwise it takes a couple of minutes. Odd that there's so much variation. Arla

Ex runner

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I didn't know it was slower if you're moving - I usually just strap it on my wrist and go. Usually, I don't have any trouble, but about once a month it struggles to find a signal. I'll have to try setting it down next time that happens.
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

When I can not get a signal I turn it off and back on. The signal takes 10-15 seconds

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I usually have good luck with mine at home. For my 1/2 block walk (about a minute) to where I start my run it's enough time to find the signal. When I was at the shore it took about 3 minutes to find a signal.

Michelle

When I can not get a signal I turn it off and back on. The signal takes 10-15 seconds
                    This has worked for me too.

Michelle

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

HOW DO YOU GET THE GARMIN TRAINING CENTER TO RETAIN RUNS? I NEED TO DOWNLOAD EVERY 2-3 DAYS FROM THE 305. HOW DO YOU GET A QUOTE IN REPLY WITHOUT GETTING THE ENTIRE MESSAGE?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

HOW DO YOU GET THE GARMIN TRAINING CENTER TO RETAIN RUNS? I NEED TO DOWNLOAD EVERY 2-3 DAYS FROM THE 305. HOW DO YOU GET A QUOTE IN REPLY WITHOUT GETTING THE ENTIRE MESSAGE?
                        Hit the quote button. If you do not want all the words - delete some. The Garmin Training Center software will retain all of the runs that you download. If it's not, then you are doing something you shouldn't be, or something is amiss with your garmin or the software.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Yep the training centre automatically keeps a record of your runs and the watch can keep a years worth or something like that. Anyway I didn't have to do anything the watch and training centre just automatically kept the records.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius