2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

Well done Dwave and rlkIlana, yay on the miles!

rovatti:  I was wondering about those two today as well.

Hey all.  My week...

M:  Rest

T:  4.5ish, a mix of 200s, 400s, & 800s -- 6:53OA

W:  Rest

T:  6 @ 8:16

F:  3.7 @ 8:12

S:  5.6 @ 8:09

S:  4.2 @ 7:14OA, w/3 x 5min tempo intervals

Total:  23.9M, 7:47OA.

runethechamp

Ace - That Race sounds super tough. Mostly uphill and in high humidity? Ugh, I can’t even imagine.

Rlk - Nice race! That’s a strong average pace for that distance. Congrats on the 5k “PR”.

Brew - Saw your mile race on Strava. Great work!

DW - Same for you, great work on your mile! And regarding run by feel, if I were to judge by effort, especially early in races, I think I would be even worse than trying to settle on a certain pace 

Ilana - Good work getting some miles in!

I ran a “race” today. The San Francisco Giant Race HM. Ran it at what I thought was approximately my optimistic goal m-pace, but sped up at the end for a couple of miles at threshold pace. From early on in the morning I had a feeling I would have to take a bathroom break during a race, and sure enough, at the halfway point I had to. So really, it was more like 6.25 m-pace, 2 minute break, 4.75 m-pace, 2.2 miles t-pace. Either way, I ended up running my m-pace a bit too fast (7:19), but with effort and HR pretty close to what I want for my race in October. So although my real goal is 3:20, I’ve run nearly all my m-pace workouts at a pace for 3:15 (7:25), so now I will just have to wait and see what happens the last 6 weeks of my plan.

I was was also planning to run a HM race next weekend, but I will not do that now. I want to keep up the good streak on my workouts, and that’s going to be really hard to do if I race. I would try to cut down the mid-week workout before the race to get a mini-taper, and because of some work travel and my newfound fear of doing workouts too soon after a race I would miss next week’s mid-week workout. If I just stick to the program I can get 3 full workouts in instead,  and right now I think it’s a better choice for me. I also think it’s better for my hamstring to not have an all-out race effort.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

AceHarris

Race report from yesterday's half marathon, not a great read, but was good to process the result. Writing through my thoughts about the race feels like good motivation to push the training for Indy. I am fairly disappointed in my effort at yesterday's race, but it has caused me to want to work harder and focus more.   https://tnrun.blogspot.com/

DW: nice mile! Sounded like a full and fun day.

Brew: Thanks for sandbagging on your mile predictions and totally smoking it! Congrats a speedy effort.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

runethechamp

Ace, that’s still a killer race under those conditions. If I use the elevation numbers from Strava that alone added at least a minute and a half to your time. And you still ran your entire race at a faster pace than my last two miles today.

I hear you about racing alone for long parts of the race. I had that experience in August and it was not fun!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I can certainly see you being an outlier for the breathing cadence thing given your cadence. I seem to recall you saying you hit 200+ at mile pace. It's doubtful I'd be much above 185 at that effort.
            Great job at 5th Ave.
            Interesting philosophy regarding what constitutes "sleep".

Ace - Super-tough conditions for a race. Still a good result, though.
            My oldest has given me the same little speech before! She doesn't quite get that there are people out there much faster than her daddy and seems a bit dismayed when I have to tell her I didn't finish first. Or second. Or third...

Rovatti - Hello there, and thanks! How have things been?

Ilana - Wahoo! Things feeling ok?

Rune - Great effort in the half! That has to be a confidence building, especially with some more training weeks ahead.

Brew - Awesome mile time, Mr. "I don't know if I can run sub-6"! You should totally update your sig line, now.

ETA: Loved the RR. And that it took about as long to read as it took you to run the race.

Pretty pitiful week from me. I got sick after the 5k, missed a couple days of running, 80% of a workout, and miles off of the days I did run (except Saturday).
            DD1's soccer game was cancelled Saturday, so I did run with the local club rather than solo around the lake (I'll take that segment crown later!). Had a pretty good LR with 10 @ M pace in cool-ish but drizzly weather. Felt great doing that until mile 7 when the wind picked up and moved from a cross to headwind. Things became noticeably tougher then and some GI issues came about. Took a bit of a break after the next mile and was able to finish strong after.
            Feeling pretty great to start this week, and looking to put up some pretty big miles the next few weeks ahead of my half.
            My "weak":

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Sep 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
            Tue 5.0 8:15 Bailing on 5x 4 min I after the first interval. 139 (71%) strava
            Wed 6.3 8:18 It's going to be one of those days... 131 (67%) strava
            Thu 10.0 7:12 Daniels 3T, 2T, 1T 159 (81%) strava
            Sat 17.1 7:38 Soggy, with 10M and the Landrunners 157 (80%) strava
              38.4 7:42      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Race Report/Recap/Review/Rediculousness

ace I didn't sandbag it. I actually surprised myself. Since I have no experience with racing in the weather you have I'd be happy with the result. 1 minute doesn't exactly make/break a race for me OVERALL if I could point to something like weather making my PR attempt much harder. I am not sure I'd attempt a PR (now) on an uphill course./ Any "confidence boost" from the Grade Adjusted Pace on Strava? IF you want some friends to run with consider slowing down. The back of the pack is a party. Maybe the work should be on pushing through hard points. I know I've had them in training (quitting) and mentally working through things is going to happen. I have been know to ask myself stuff like "Do you want to quit? Why don't you just quit? If you quit this will be over right now. Are you going to quit on race day" during training when it gets hard. Yeah I've quit training runs when it's gone to sheet and everything wasn't working. You're PR attempt fell apart, but you finished the workout. It was mostly mental.

WAIT...Did I just read you "CHUCKED" the chocolate milk???? ummm....I'd have been so mad. I LOVE chocolate milk. like "DUDE SOMEONE COULD HAVE DRANK THAT......LIKE ME" with the accompanying stare as if you tossed out water on a 115F day in the desert.

keen updated. Maybe I'm sandbagging my M pace (goal) and I end up in the land of you and ace speed and we can jog the 4/20/20 race together and catch up on old times. I am not at a loss for words MOST times. Plus, I somehow can remember lots of details 48 hours later and just HAVE to get them all down. I imagine all elite athletes do this which is why running blogs are so popular.

Where did you get a 52.1 VDOT? The spreadsheet (when I adjust 10K times to match my mile times) says 50.9. Chart from the book?

run Thanks. Good job on the workout. If you REALLY wanted to run the second half marathon I'd avoid racing it and do it as a workout, if possible, or as a longer run for weekly miles. Sometimes running a 2:00 half marathon is enjoyable. Maybe it's good practice if you wanted to be a pacer. Also, as with all workouts I've done, don't get TOO caught up in pace for M. Its awesome that you're pointing towards beating the goal. I'd just personally be afraid of peaking before race day. After a Hanson's plan I'm a little worried about touching Goal Marathon Pace before race day. Their logic is race pace is for race day (my words not theirs).

omr nice comeback. I'm guessing the recovery is going well.

dwave nice mile. All the advice you and rovatti dished out worked.

rlk I thought you'd like that. Maybe your coach is on to something.

My Week:

Not the best. Not the worst. Slightly better than the last. Schedule said 63 miles but missing Sunday/Monday running helped reduce that. It's officially 30 miles since the 18+ miles I ran Sunday are for this week. Whatever...49 miles is 49 miles is 49 miles. 1 month to go which is SCARY soon. I don't think I've ever been afraid of a race until this point because the goal hasn't ever OFFICIALLY mattered. Sunday's long run was mixed with a local 10 mile race (second part of the running fest) and I hung out attempting to win entry to the RTO (like a $1,500 relay entry) then jogged back to the truck. Unfortunately while waiting the DFL walker/runner crossed the finish line and collapsed. Medics ended up wrapping his head and eye in gauze and I saw him leave in a car. Really old guy. Really sad. Hope he is okay. Oh and 200m intervals are REALLY dumb when you do a full recovery and run them too hard. 1,000m repeats are hard with a slight headwind and I didn't run them at the 3:55ish pace the book/spreadsheet/training plan says I'm supposed to do them at.

Glad I checked the schedule twice (I have a problem with reading all of a sudden) because I saw 56 miles. Apparently it's 63 on my Garmin notes.

Unsure what Age Group % a 5:38 mile is but It's probably sub 70%. Elite, I know. It probably even calculates something like a 3:11 marathon according to a website I didn't check it on.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Sep 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Tue 7.1 8:14 That time we are going to have a good week. strava
              Wed 14.6 9:06 That time those kids have no idea how true that song is strava
              Fri 7.0 9:02 That time it’s either long or hard strava
              Sat 1.0 8:41 Morning Run strava
              Sat 1.0 5:38 That time I beat an All American. strava
              Sun 17.5 8:27 That time the road goes on forever but the party never ends. strava
              Sun 0.8 8:52 That time I didn’t win anything. strava
                49.0 8:38    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - 52.1 came from the Vdot02 calculator app and the website (just double-checked using the time from the results sheet - using 5:38 is 51.9).
                The three of us running that race together would be a ton of fun. Maybe we can set up a toddler race, too!

Upcoming Races:

oregonrw

Brewing and Dwave: Congrats on the mile races! Those are fast times -- I'm looking forward to reading race reports later.  The 5th Ave mile had some impressive pro times -- that must be a fun race to watch.

OMR: Nice week!

Rune: Congrats on the half -- it looks like you're tracking towards a faster marathon than you planned. What's the Amsterdam course like?

Keen: Glad you finished out the week with a pretty good long run, and that you're feeling better now.

rlk: Nice 3.5!

rovatti: I haven't seen that, just read a lot about it  -- the Bhagwan story? Oregon's a weird place, but that was weird even for here.

I was in Orlando last week for work and running was a struggle -- I'm just not used to that kind of heat/humidity anymore. I  ran 6 one day outside and was miserable, so the next day ran on the treadmill at the hotel gym, which was slightly better. Nothing too exciting otherwise -- just plugging away. 13 on Sunday, this morning was an off day.  I think I might be coming down with a cold too.  Ugh.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - I can certainly see you being an outlier for the breathing cadence thing given your cadence. I seem to recall you saying you hit 200+ at mile pace. It's doubtful I'd be much above 185 at that effort.
                    Great job at 5th Ave.
                    Interesting philosophy regarding what constitutes "sleep".

For the heck of it, I checked my cadence for this race: 207.  And 207 was also my cadence when I set my mile PR.   When I ran that ludicrously downhill mile with PJ last year, I hit 210. I'm short, with disproportionately short legs for my height, so I need to turn them over quickly.  My marathon cadence is mid-190s.

CK - far better to get sick after the race than before.  I think you still have plenty of time before your marathon.

Brewing - I loved the report.  And I'm really glad you ran it and it seems like you really enjoyed it.  Road miles are so much more fun than people give them credit for.

BTW, here's an age-grade calculator - it's the Howard Grubb 2010.

The 2015 factors are the standard, but they don't seem to include road miles.

Ace - good report as well.  If you want a read on your fitness, you could look up that first OA woman and see what times she's run in the recent past for a half.  It's not a perfect measure, but still interesting info.  I also think the anger from this race would be good fodder at mile 20 of your marathon.

Rune - good to see you back.  My unsolicited advice is that your conservative plan sounds very wise.  The goal is running well at the marathon.

Oregon - I hope you don't get sick - perhaps travel stress.  And yeah, I can imagine the humidity was a real shock.

OMR - that's a nice consistent week.

Rovatti - crazy about that age group.  I was thinking that next year I'd be in 45-49, and maybe that'd be easier.  Not this year - they were faster than the 40-44s overall.  Nuts.  But so much fun to run a race with that many fast women in their 40s.

Hi to all others - Ilana- good news on the running.

I did yoga and 7 "miles" pool-running this morning.  Training schedule for this week is in flux due to flooding and a potential massive deluge from Florence.   (this is where I normally do my marathon pace workouts).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

My week:  No problems (other than slowness).   Still sticking to every other day...

M: 7 with a few strides and 3x800m at 5K effort

T: 1h XT

W: 10 easy

Th: 1h XT

F: 10 easy

S: 1h XT

S: 10 easy

total = 37

Soon I hope to stop going to physical therapy and rejoin my running club for workouts.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - 52.1 came from the Vdot02 calculator app and the website (just double-checked using the time from the results sheet - using 5:38 is 51.9).
                        The three of us running that race together would be a ton of fun. Maybe we can set up a toddler race, too!

I think that’s the calculator I may have used and enjoyed the corresponding marathon time. I also may have reminded myself how useful online calculators are for predicting marathon times off 1 mile. I may not have agreed with the T, R, or I paces. E seems a little fast too.

Dwave: it didn’t suck. I MIGHT have to try it again next year depending on how this year goes. Since it is put on by a quality RD and it had a good turnout I think it will gain popularity. New York does seem like it would be awesome to watch a mile. I kind of enjoyed watching the finish of the women’s elite.

Rov: nice week.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Strict WTF adherent

Looks like some good racing going on here. Very little chatter about Bratislava registration. Saw on social media that RLK is skipping it. I haven't even attempted qualifying since 2015, so I'm out too. Anyone else?

Rovatti - seems you're bouncing back nicely.

I've been dealing with a hammy/tendon thing that limited me to 23 miles in August. Very frustrating. Rest seems to help, but even then it's two steps forward and one step back.

AceHarris

Dwave: I did some research on the first OA female (this is a new kind of stalking for me...not that there was an old kind, though). She was a collegiate runner at USF. Most recent result I saw was a 15k last year where she ran 55:XX, so she's pretty quick.

Brew: It is a good reminder that I didn't quit despite really wanting to. Sometimes, on early runs, I just want to lay down and take a nap on the sidewalk. Is that normal? If not normal, is it acceptable?

Rovatti: nice week!

OMR: How are you feeling?

According to Runalyze, I'm in shape to run a 1:30:00 HM. This has me questioning their formula, considering I just ran 1:28. I've stopped using HR monitor for a while now, which doesn't help with their analysis. With this crazy humidity it was causing consistent chafing of my chest and I feel comfortable with gauging my effort at this time. I may add it back when temps cool.

2 easy, 5 x 1200 with 60s rest, 2 easy this morning. Legs weren't sore, but definitely had some fatigue left over from the race.

I went 4:24, 4:26, 4:24, 4:25, 4:24. We had mildly cooler temps this morning, which felt nice.  The college running club trains with us some mornings. These youngsters make running look effortless and at paces way faster than me (i.e. - 1000m repeats at 3:08 and working down to 2:50s)

Leaving for the beach on Friday night, so moving my long run to Friday morning instead of Saturday. Hoping to stay on track at the beach and not skip workouts. It's a fun, but exhausting week with 4 families. A total of 8 adults and 10 kids under 5 years old all in one house!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oregon - I can imagine a sudden transplant to Florida would be quite a shock when going running. Otherwise, was the trip ok?

DWave - I definitely agree with regards to the timing of getting sick.
                              Height/leg length, to me at least, makes a big difference in running cadence at a given pace, though I don't recall many (any?) people mentioning this when spouting "run at 180 steps per minute!".
                              Funny HR blip on the PR mile - did you pass someone who was holding your chest strap?
                              Hopefully the storm doesn't completely disrupt things in your AO.

Rovatti - Good week. Slow is better than nothing, and frequently it's better than fast. What's the PT saying?

Brew - I think you'd surprise yourself with being able to keep up with newer training paces (not that I think you have to update them). I recall looking at the paces for mine (especially after the VDOT bumps) and thinking "there's no way", but somehow they seem ok. Except for M pace. M pace is never ok.

Any predictions for Berlin this weekend?

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

Looks like some good racing going on here. Very little chatter about Bratislava registration. Saw on social media that RLK is skipping it. I haven't even attempted qualifying since 2015, so I'm out too. Anyone else?

Rovatti - seems you're bouncing back nicely.

I've been dealing with a hammy/tendon thing that limited me to 23 miles in August. Very frustrating. Rest seems to help, but even then it's two steps forward and one step back.

I'm gonna try to register when it's my turn on the 17th...

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12