Be Happy To Be Alive (Read 790 times)

Bugs

Had the following conversation today over a free frenchtoast. me: "Why are you moving back to Sweden?" guy: "Everything is better there. I only have to pay $150 max out of pocket for medical insurance. When I had colon cancer two years ago you would not believe what I had to pay, $3000" me: "But who cares about $3,000, who cares if you had to pay $20,000 you're just happy to be alive right?" guy: "I had to pay it two years!" me: "But your alive, you beat cancer, not everybody does, aren't you just grateful for that." guy: "No I don't think I should have had cancer at the age of 35". me: "No you shouldn't, but come on, look around lots of people got it tough. People have disabilities, kids have illnesses, people die in freak car accidents...Really you should just be happy to be here with your wife and kids". guy: "You know I had knee surgury too, that wasn't fair either." me - mouth dropping guy: "Just once I'd like to be happy about something good happening without something bad." me: "Well Nicki from accounting brought french toast bake. Be happy about that." I can't relate to this type of thinking. Maybe there are stages of coping with this type of disease one has to go through?

Bugs

Quotes that come to mind: "We don't need more to be thankful for—we just need to be more thankful." "Gratitude should be a continuous attitude, not just an occasional incident." "Worry is advanced interest you pay on troubles that seldom come." The Christian Wand

Vim

munchkn883

Spring, 2002 -- Breast Cancer -- Surgery, 4 chemos, 30 radiations Spring, 2005 -- Breast Cancer metastisized to liver -- 6 chemos, surgery Fall, 2007 -- Breast Cancer metastisized to bones in lower back -- no chemo for this, just some drugs every 4 weeks to strengthen my bones and a shot so big the hole has to be bandaged over so the stuff doesn't leak out, and Avastin to keep me from producing small vessels that feed tumors every 2 weeks. I thank God every morning for one more day! As my DH says "Life isn't Fair"! I think your friend needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and get out there and give back to those who have it alot worse.
          me: "Well Nicki from accounting brought french toast bake. Be happy about that."
          Great answer/response. Accountants to the rescue!! I got on the elevator a few months ago with some random guy. I gave him a standard "G'morning, how's it going?" And he looked at me for a second, paused, and said "Ya know, I'm just really happy to be alive". I'll never forget that.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Bugs

Spring, 2002 -- Breast Cancer -- Surgery, 4 chemos, 30 radiations Spring, 2005 -- Breast Cancer metastisized to liver -- 6 chemos, surgery Fall, 2007 -- Breast Cancer metastisized to bones in lower back -- no chemo for this, just some drugs every 4 weeks to strengthen my bones and a shot so big the hole has to be bandaged over so the stuff doesn't leak out, and Avastin to keep me from producing small vessels that feed tumors every 2 weeks. I thank God every morning for one more day! As my DH says "Life isn't Fair"! I think your friend needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and get out there and give back to those who have it alot worse.
            Sorry you had to go through all that, glad that you have such a great attitude. I almost wrote him a $6K check, but it wouldn't have taught him a thing. The whole conversation still shocks me, but has made me what to be a more positive thinking person.

Bugs

munchkn883

Bugs -- If you can, suggest he find a support group. Maybe it would help him get over being so angry. My support group is great and I look forward to our meetings. Please keep me up to date on how things are going for him. Hey, none of us know how many more breaths we have so we might as well be happy!!
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Most cancer survivors I know are the warmest, most thankful people around. When it comes to human behavior, there are always exceptions. My stepson is one, looks like you've crossed paths with another. It happens.

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

I hear you! My sister had a heart transplant in April. This time last year, we were all preparing ourselves to live without her. She thanks God every day for her life (And the life of a transplant recipient ain't easy, I can tell ya. The cure can be as bad as the disease, except you aren't dead.) Try to hang tough, munchkn883. I admire you. And regarding this statement..."Just once I'd like to be happy about something good happening without something bad." We all have the power to do that every minute. You just have to look for the good things. They're always out there.
                  LandMan

munchkn883 - I am in awe of your strength under such trying circumstances. We hear so often of people who are not satisfied with their life for whatever reason. Those reasons usually involve trivial things that are under their control to change. I have made the conscious choice to avoid the self absorbed folks, they have lost sight of what is truly important. I don't know what it's like to be you right now, but you have impressed the hell out of me with your attitiude.

Bugs

Most cancer survivors I know are the warmest, most thankful people around. When it comes to human behavior, there are always exceptions. My stepson is one, looks like you've crossed paths with another. It happens.
                      Sadly it really reminded me of my Dad before he died. He was 72 and really felt cheated to be dying at that age. I also admire all the cancer survivors. That is one hell of a marathon to live through.

Bugs