With a year to train for my first full, what to do? (Read 240 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Xhristopher, that was going to be my next question, what kind of paces to run for intervals?  Based off of my half from Sunday, McMillan has my 800m paces at 2:53-3:01 and my 1000m paces at 3:40-3:50.  Should I shoot for the top end of those ranges to start and see how it goes?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

xhristopher

Xhristopher, that was going to be my next question, what kind of paces to run for intervals?  Based off of my half from Sunday, McMillan has my 800m paces at 2:53-3:01 and my 1000m paces at 3:40-3:50.  Should I shoot for the top end of those ranges to start and see how it goes?

I'm probably not the best person to prescribe types of workouts or paces but would suggest starting out more conservatively and not be a slave to a pace, rather to learn effort. The more you practice the skill of racing over the year, the better you will intuitively know these different efforts. Just don't be a slave to pace, especially if you are running tired.

xhristopher

About those McMillan paces... I have found the ranges map out for me. They probably suit a majority of us.

About those McMillan paces... I have found the ranges map out for me. They probably suit a majority of us.

Agreed. I start a workout at the slow end of the pace range and work my way down toward the fast end of the range during the workout.

xhristopher

D2, another thing I'd do is dig around RA and find some runners similar to you and log stalk. Look a PR's then PR progression and see what got them from point A to B.

There are so many lessons on what to do (and what not to do) right here.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

I'm actually a former inactive fat guy.  Went from 270 to 185 last year by eating better and running. Smile

Well done!  Good luck on hitting sub-3:00.

Mostly harmless

My 2 cents would be for you to consider working with a coach. It's clear that you have a lot of potential but because you lack experience you may struggle to fully reach it by using the trial and error methods for training.  You will probably get there on your own eventually, but working with someone that knows what they are doing could help you to arrive sooner and hopefully with less setbacks made due to rookie mistakes.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

D2, another thing I'd do is dig around RA and find some runners similar to you and log stalk. Look a PR's then PR progression and see what got them from point A to B.

There are so many lessons on what to do (and what not to do) right here.

Yep. This is 100% what I do - learn from the real live actual running examples of the dozens and dozens of really good fast experienced runners on this site - some with logs going back several years. There's so much good info here.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  xhristopher

Yep. This is 100% what I do - learn from the real live actual running examples of the dozens and dozens of really good fast experienced runners on this site - some with logs going back several years. There's so much good info here.

Just make sure you learn to filter out the freaks of nature and the nuts ... at least until you become one yourself.

Dreamn

How do you search for logs by specific race times?

I don't know that there's a way to do that. I just hang out here, get to know those who post, and click on pretty much every log I see.

MTA: which is just another reason to make your own log public - it helps people help you, and adds to the collective knowledge / experience set.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        xhristopher

If you join one of the RA groups you can click "Report" then "Report Type: Race" and then give it a broad "time range." Lots of results should be served up to you and you can hopefully find what you are looking for.

Also, while log stalking, don't forget the calendar view. You can hover over runs to quickly get more info.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks RunnerJones!

Scott, I would love to get a coach, but it's not in the budget at the moment, gonna have to try to learn from other's mistakes for now. Smile

I already check out the public logs, but didn't think of methodically searching them like that, good idea, thanks!

-Dave

My running blog

Good tips here too: http://www.levelrenner.com/

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks delucj, I'll check it out.

-Dave

My running blog