Relationship between beginning running later in life and potential (Read 1232 times)

Right on Hereford...

Carps said:
    your challenge was most likely a foolish one because you're not fast at all.
    and then said:
    btw, if someone doesn't put their name in their log, then posting it is most likely an uncool move.
    BTW, carps, telling someone "you're not fast at all" is most likely an uncool move.
      It seems like former runners re-start with much faster times. So many of the first-time late-starters I see begin running to lose weight (myself included) and end up starting in the high 20's or even low 30's while former runners seem to re-start in the lower 20's.
      This is an interesting observation that, from reading these boards, seems to be true and from personal experience, applies even to crap former runners with a 20 year gap. I ran in high school but was never any good (this is honesty not false modesty), I ran x-country mainly and the courses weren't any set distance so I have no times. I then ran a little in college for recreation (nowhere near good enough to run for a college team). I worked for a year during college and ran a lot that year, longer distances, and have a few times from this era - a 32 minute 5 mile, a 1:26 half marathon. Then nothing much for 20 years. I started again at the age of 42, my first race after very little training was a 21:30 5k. It was really hard, probably the hardest 5k I have run, but I think it was almost entirely the mental knowledge of how hard running can feel and how hard you can push yourself that helped me run 21 rather than 28, - not any lingering muscle memory! I have that 1:26 half marathon time in my sights now and am confident I'll get it. This year or next. I've got the ability to take a long term view now. I never had that in my youth. I train much more sensibly and enjoy racing a lot more than I ever did. I can calculate an age-equivalence of my current 5k PR (I think it would now be high 16's or low 17's) and have to laugh. There's no way I could have done that when I was younger - I didn't have the long term perspective or the discipline.
      Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
      Ringmaster

Thank you, all, for giving this somewhat late-starter so much hope. A former middle-school sprinter, I re-started my running a year ago and am much enjoying it. Though I got an AG award at my first 5k, I've been itching to improve my 26: xx 5k times and break the 2-hour half. This thread gives me the confidence to know that with patience and smart training, it will happen. I'll be 34 in a couple of months. My best years are ahead of me. Boston, here I come! (MTA: no time soon, obviously!)

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
        Mile by Mile